IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Battletoads!

BeaIank

I have always believed that Battletoads was a shameless ripoff of tmnt (as far as the characters go, not the beat em up style). They look like they should have been shredder creations in secret of the ooze. 

I can see why people regard it as a great game despite the creative theft. Its very unique for a beat em up. But I have never really been able to get into it for whatever reason. I got this and Battletoads/DD around the same time and always liked that one better. At some point I got good enough to get thru the speeder jumps in level 3, but quickly lost interest after that. 

The scores here are insane and its quickly wednesday. Kind of week I could put in tons of effort for like 7th. Ill get a participation score up before long and watch the masters battle it out. Rooting for that @mbd39dude.  

33 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I have always believed that Battletoads was a shameless ripoff of tmnt (as far as the characters go, not the beat em up style). They look like they should have been shredder creations in secret of the ooze. 

I can see why people regard it as a great game despite the creative theft. Its very unique for a beat em up. But I have never really been able to get into it for whatever reason. I got this and Battletoads/DD around the same time and always liked that one better. At some point I got good enough to get thru the speeder jumps in level 3, but quickly lost interest after that. 

The scores here are insane and its quickly wednesday. Kind of week I could put in tons of effort for like 7th. Ill get a participation score up before long and watch the masters battle it out. Rooting for that @mbd39dude.  

It's a long and varied game and most people don't see beyond stage 3. It really is good. You should give it another go.

New Score: 340,000 + 105,000 = 445,000

battletoadsnesscore.jpg.23a1af8d514d2094d2d496cb61d2268a.jpg

Previous Score: 315,100

battletoadsscore.jpg.278837ced8fae969ac9120f304a8ca4b.jpg

I know I can do better. Most people probably know how cheap Blag is if he hits you while you're lying down.

Since I have this game, I played it using my NES instead of an Emulator.

Edited by MegaMan52

Okay I made it further in Terra Tubes. Duck killed me in the last section. Then I practiced that entire section using the 1up. Hopefully I'll be getting out of the tubes soon.

I see orange fish rng as being the biggest problem. So easy to die to it.

Edited by mbd39

19 minutes ago, imabadguy1 said:

Good luck on rat race

Yeah. And nerves will be a factor after getting so far on a single life. I don't want to choke and have a stupid death to a gas blower or something.

I'm glad that I'm getting more consistent at the earlier levels. Like at first the end of turbo tunnel was killing runs. Normally not a big deal to lose a life or two there, but this has forced me to learn to do it consistently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah. And nerves will be a factor after getting so far on a single life. I don't want to choke and have a stupid death to a gas blower or something.

I'm glad that I'm getting more consistent at the earlier levels. Like at first the end of turbo tunnel was killing runs. Normally not a big deal to lose a life or two there, but this has forced me to learn to do it consistently.

You got this, more practice and you win. 

On 6/2/2021 at 7:49 PM, NESfiend said:

Battletoads is like the Zeppelin 1 of video games.  It may be a ripoff, but it’s the most original ripoff ever made

• Like 1

I made it through Terra Tubes without a death. But unfortunately I had one stupid death in Intruder Excluder so it was just a practice run at that point.

In my Rat Race practice I'm having an issue where I'm not always bouncing the rat against the wall with my beadbutt but instead helping him by sending him down the hole.  I used to be so much better at the third rat. And this is a great way to get the glitch because then it becomes an extremely tight race and the rat disappears through the wall instead of falling down when you kick the bomb.

Edited by mbd39

I think I'm getting Rat Race back down. I made it back to Clinger Winger in my practice and... um, yeah. I don't know if it's my controller or if it's rust but I was having a terrible time.

But right now I'm just going for around 635k then we'll see what happens.

10 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I think I'm getting Rat Race back down. I made it back to Clinger Winger in my practice and... um, yeah. I don't know if it's my controller or if it's rust but I was having a terrible time.

But right now I'm just going for around 635k then we'll see what happens.

Clinger winger is pixel perfect so you have to tap as you turn. That one is gonna take you a while... Just kidding, use the pause trick before each turn. So the pixel perfect turns aren't as hard. 

On 6/2/2021 at 9:23 PM, mbd39 said:

It's a long and varied game and most people don't see beyond stage 3. It really is good. You should give it another go.

I am giving it a shot, but dont have enough time or skill to really get anywhere. I would like to beat stage 3 though. I didnt remember how long it is. Now I am doubting that I ever did beat it. Watching video, I dont remember the very last portion. 

Whats the trick with the ramps with big gaps? I do remember being able to get passed those, but can't remeber how and the second one is kicking my ass

Edited by NESfiend

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

I am giving it a shot, but dont have enough time or skill to really get anywhere. I would like to beat stage 3 though. I didnt remember how long it is. Now I am doubting that I ever did beat it. Watching video, I dont remember the very last portion. 

Whats the trick with the ramps with big gaps. I do remember being able to get passed those, but can't remeber how and the second one is kicking my ass

The white ramps you don't do anything. The blue ramps you have to jump.

When you get to the little islands with the exclamation points, stay low (they're wider at the bottom) and don't press anything besides jump to hop from island to island. People tend to have trouble with that part.

• Thanks 1

I made it through Terra Tubes and Rat Race without a death! But unfortunately it was just a practice run because I'd already died a couple times to Robo Manus. I miscalculated where he was going to land and splat. Man fuck that guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I made it through Terra Tubes and Rat Race without a death! But unfortunately it was just a practice run because I'd already died a couple times to Robo Manus. I miscalculated where he was going to land and splat. Man fuck that guy.

We need a Robo Manus hate thread

563,500 (503,500 + 60,000)

Maybe a disappointing score to some, but this was the best I could pull off.  I was able to beat every stage deathless in practice, but stringing it altogether is really tough.  I do want to do a pure deathless run someday without warps, and now at least I know I can.  I decided to do one run warpless, with regular play, just to hit the 500K mark and that's the run I kept.  (This run died in Karnath's Lair lol.) Couldn't make it past Robo-Manus in an actual run of this with warps.  But anyway I usually have a death or two in Terra Tubes, and I'm not great at The Revolution or Dark Queen yet as far as no deaths.  I did get pretty consistent no-deathing Rat Race and Clinger Winger though, that's good at least!

ZSSftpfl.jpg