IGNORED

Do handheld games feel less ... significant?

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

@AdamW - I like your take on it. The “audio/visual experience” idea probably falls under the umbrella of “developer-intent”, in which case most handheld games would best be enjoyed on their respective handheld. Maybe not for me personally, but I’d definitely consider myself the exception rather than the rule haha.

@Tanooki - You nailed it. For me, it’s 100% a psychological preference. I’ve got a bunch of similar idiosyncrasies about what makes experiencing media more “significant”. For example, playing games on discs rather than cartridges is also a less “significant” experience for me, as is playing via emulator or with a keyboard. My odd preferences extend beyond games, too. Listening to music without headphones diminishes my experience. 

A big motivation for starting this discussion was to see if anyone else had similar format-related preferences that impact their reception of games.

@WhyNotZoidberg - that’s an interesting note about whether or not unofficial hardware affects the handheld gaming experience. To me it doesn’t matter as long as the hardware accepts original game carts (which might sound surprising given how picky I’ve proven myself to be about this stuff haha).

@spacepup - You get it! (And had the eloquence to explain the feeling in a way I’m obviously struggling to do haha).

-CasualCart

• Like 1

I was very happy to have a Gameboy, as I remember getting bored quickly or car trips.  Sorry Tiger handheld fans, those cheap LCD games were a pale imitation of a full fledged handheld.

I always played Link's Awakening/Metroid 2 at home. These weren't "quick entertainment for trips to town" games, these were big adventure games.  I never felt my gaming experience was lessened because I'm holding the system vs. playing it on (at the time) a 13" color TV.

• Like 2

To answer Casual Cart's revised question, I've never been a fan of hand held systems themselves.  I remember thinking the original PSP had a fantastic looking library, but I skipped it because I was so against hand helds at the time even though I've owned almost all of Nintendo's.  This is still mostly true to this day.  I'll still play the 3DS XL once in a while, but my switch is permanently docked. 

Also, I don't feel any sense of it being an inferior experience.  I just like big screens.

Edited by CMR
  • Like 2

@CasualCart Good you didn't take it the wrong way.  I meant it as you said it, not that you're nuts. 😉  I'm less of a fan of using discs too, it's to me like walking on egg shells since the wrong kind of scuff, baby sized nick, or anything and that's before the pinhole sized rot that sets in far sooner than bit rot chips that puts me off them.  I've still probably not owned as many disc games vs carts over the years, mind you I've used lots of both, but discs come second and I have less attachment to basically most of them.

Just like when I buy second hand, I have this hard rule and always have.  IF the game is a cart (not a card) game only is fine, just as long as that's in really nice shape.  But if it's anything at all optical cased(UMDs in a tray) or not...they need to be complete in their boxes or I don't buy them, and same goes with tiny-ish sized game cards (vita, switch, DS, 3DS) all there or not at all...exception being they're like dollar games and I can buy the case fast as they're just too damn easy to lose or damage due to the size. 

I get where you're going.  Headphones, I like and prefer them, but I don't make it a rule, yet it's kind of obvious because if you can't blast out some nice speakers, you lose a lot of the quality you get from like some nice around the ear headphones as you get the entire range.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I loved my GB as a kid, and I always knew that it wasn't able to match the NES or SNES, but I kinda liked when it tried. Some games were great, like real passable versions of home console games. But most were just GB games, "inspired" by the "real" versions. And people who didn't have to "settle" for the GB definitely thought it was trash. But the portable and personal nature of it was the clincher. (and I had no NES sooooo)

It seemed like the GB Color was the one to really be the "portable NES" and it even had some NES ports. Then the GBA was the "portable SNES" with all of its SNES ports to prove it. Then the DS was... kind of a portable N64 in a couple of ways? Then the 3DS was... uhh...

And then Nintendo abandoned home consoles altogether with the Switch. I was ecstatic to learn that portable games weren't going to lag behind home consoles anymore. I much prefer to play my games in the car during work breaks, in the garage, on the plane, at Jack in the Box, etc, all where the kids can't see them.

To answer the actual question though, no, tiny screens are where it's at. I've always thought it was weird to play GB games on a TV, since they were made for tiny screens and short play sessions. They kinda don't look great on the big screen. I'm glad that people enjoy those libraries enough to play them that way, I guess. And now with the Switch, TV Out is an optional novelty anyway. Who needs it!!

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I will definitely concede that moving from the Switch back to the 3DS or GBA definitely gave me a "holy shit this screen really was this tiny?" sensation the first time.  But it passed.

In fact, when my son and I play cooperatively, I actually prefer to have the Switch in my lap or up on its kickstand, rather than docked.  Just feels more like the two of us are sharing a moment.

• Like 3

Are smaller screens inherently less immersive? Of course: and it's not just a psychological thing, but a function of the way the eye focuses on nearby objects vs. distant ones. "Grandeur" is immersion, and immersion isn't easily had with 3-inch screens and tiny speakers.

Do I get tired of the glare and wobble when I play Game Boy games on my GBA-SP AGS-001? Yes, yes I do. Does it feel nicer to play those games on the Super Game Boy 2? Absolutely, I see better and I play better.

Are handheld games less ambitious, by and large? Probably not now, but back in the 1990s, certainly, they were more modest in scope.

But nowadays, Game Boy and GBC games are perfect for when I'm half-watching trash TV with my wife, or otherwise multitasking. It's gratifying to knock off a game in an hour, either back when Game Boy games were cheap ($1/cart) or now that we have flash carts.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On the contrary, I’ve made sure to get console games I like (NES/SNES/Genesis etc.) on handhelds where they’re available such as the 3DS or the Switch. I’ve said it on here before but I value the ability to 1. Take them anywhere or 2. Casually lay in bed or sit on my couch and have them in my face.

• Like 2

As a handheld gamer, I see the shade thrown on them all the time. People outwardly dismiss handheld classics or don't even give them a chance in the first place. 

And in 2021, it's just crazy to do. You got the SP, OG DS, modded screens on classic handhelds or on modded consoles like NES and SNES  classics or even on a modded 3DS. 

To me, handhelds have more of a draw than console gaming. I feel like there's a more intimate connection when games are in handheld forms. Being able to play on a lunch break, in bed or while watching tv just makes handhelds more accessable too.

The best thing that ever happened for me was Nintendo bucking up and commiting to handhelds in the form of the Switch. The 3DS was my go to the gen before and the DS the gen before that so the Switch was a God sent. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Are smaller screens inherently less immersive? Of course: and it's not just a psychological thing, but a function of the way the eye focuses on nearby objects vs. distant ones. "Grandeur" is immersion, and immersion isn't easily had with 3-inch screens and tiny speakers.

Do I get tired of the glare and wobble when I play Game Boy games on my GBA-SP AGS-001? Yes, yes I do. Does it feel nicer to play those games on the Super Game Boy 2? Absolutely, I see better and I play better.

Are handheld games less ambitious, by and large? Probably not now, but back in the 1990s, certainly, they were more modest in scope.

All of these points are lies 😛

• Like 1

Would I be in the minority if I said I never liked playing portables as portables?  That is, if there is a way to play it on the TV, like Super Game Boy or Game Boy Player I prefer that...every time.  I even years ago got a GC to PS1 controller converter so I could play GBA games with the same Y and B thumb alignment that you would have on most SNES games (as the GC controller and Hori controller would have me have to have my thumb pointed slightly downward; not nearly as comfy).  Annoyingly though; I have to manually set that button arraignment up on Super Game Boy every time I turn it on.

At least you can use a Game Gear emulator to play GG games on the GBA Everdrive.  Not ideal but better than nothing.  Now if there was a good way to play (3)DS games on TV...

I don't want to take portables with me (not that I go much of anywhere very often) because I don't want to risk losing or wrecking it.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Estil said:

And regarding the Switch...technically its a hybrid but why do I get the impression that Nintendo prefers you see it as a handheld first and a console second?

What Reed said, but fun word play aside just think about the Nintendo history of systems/games.  N64 was a downturn, Gamecube an improvement largely but still not a big seller either.  The Wii set them off into the weeds which was a good thing, and WiiU was an epic fail that could have killed the company -- if not for handhelds (3DS.)  WiiU sucked so hard they killed off the R&D division for consoles even, merged what was worth it into handheld.  It fits well to the Switch idea, a handheld you can dock and play as a console, a hybrid of both worlds, but more toes dipped into handheld thanks to the LITE version.  So there's no impression, it's reality.  They blow out those LITE ones big time, much more rugged/sturdy body to them, 1/3 less money at retail to get one, basically can do what the other does outside TV display as you can still prop it up and sync multiple joycons all the same.

...and no you're not the first I've seen make that odd comment of like loving/liking the handheld games Nintendo made but refuse to/hate to use handhelds so they do the games on the TV (Super GB, GB Player, third party whatever.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

All of these points are lies 😛

So you're telling me that smaller screens are more immersive, I don't see better with my aging eyes when looking at a larger screen, and that handheld games from the 1990s weren't more modest in scope in general than console titles? Mind blown!

In any event, if you're a handheld gamer, why not throw some wins in to the Beat every Game Boy game effort?

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/6284-beat-every-game-boy-game-2021-97497/

I've mostly been playing Game Boy for the past couple weeks, thanks to that thread. And, despite the effects of presbyopia, i've even beaten some of them on the handheld!

The smaller screen can definitely be quite immersive, depends on how you play and where your mind goes.  If a game is compelling enough it sucks you in to the point where you're oblivious to what's going on around you that says a lot.  And if that's done on a 3-6" screen where distraction is even easier...it one hell of an immersive experience.

I do I mean get it, certain genres, never going to happen, but not many.  Definitely survival horror would struggle, there's an atmosphere to it whether the lights are on or off.  I'd argue the handheld would need a dark room so nothing could pull away from a wet your pants moment.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 8:26 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

I will definitely concede that moving from the Switch back to the 3DS or GBA definitely gave me a "holy shit this screen really was this tiny?" sensation the first time.  But it passed.

That's what the 2DS XL and Vita are for. 😛

14 hours ago, Estil said:

Would I be in the minority if I said I never liked playing portables as portables?  That is, if there is a way to play it on the TV, like Super Game Boy or Game Boy Player I prefer that...every time.  I even years ago got a GC to PS1 controller converter so I could play GBA games with the same Y and B thumb alignment that you would have on most SNES games (as the GC controller and Hori controller would have me have to have my thumb pointed slightly downward; not nearly as comfy).  Annoyingly though; I have to manually set that button arraignment up on Super Game Boy every time I turn it on.

At least you can use a Game Gear emulator to play GG games on the GBA Everdrive.  Not ideal but better than nothing.  Now if there was a good way to play (3)DS games on TV...

I don't want to take portables with me (not that I go much of anywhere very often) because I don't want to risk losing or wrecking it.

Funny because I am the opposite. Once I got the taste of gaming on the road, it stuck with me. After college, I got a job flying out across the globe installing software and training people on how to use it. One of my staples that was always in my carry on was my GBA and a few games in the case, usually an RPG or three.

Anyway, when my now wife and I started dating, one of her nice memories is that when I went on a trip for a week to the UK, I stopped by her apartment at 4:00AM on the way to the airport and hung my GBA on her door and told her I'd rather have it as a distraction than me. We would play SMB3 together, side by side on her couch.

It's a fun memory. It's one of about 2-3 nice things I did that I think made her see me as a "keeper". She doesn't like gaming half as much as I do, so she was well aware of the sacrifice of me being on an 11 hour flight with nothing to do.

• Like 2

100%. I used to play handhelds out of necessity when traveling but that was about it. Always thought of it as a watered-down, generation behind thing. I've definitely spent more time playing console games on modded handhelds than actual games for handhelds. Once in a blue moon a handheld exclusive comes along that I will want to play that hasn't previously been released or isn't a port but that's uncommon (I think A Link Between Worlds would have been the last one). I could easily do without as it's just not my thing and I'm not really sure why. I just don't get the same satisfaction even with series I like such as Contra, Mario, etc.. Even with the Switch... it's docked like 99% of the time (and would be even if the Joycons were more ergonomic and didn't have debilitating drift). 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 11:34 AM, RH said:

Funny because I am the opposite. Once I got the taste of gaming on the road, it stuck with me. After college, I got a job flying out across the globe installing software and training people on how to use it. One of my staples that was always in my carry on was my GBA and a few games in the case, usually an RPG or three.

Anyway, when my now wife and I started dating, one of her nice memories is that when I went on a trip for a week to the UK, I stopped by her apartment at 4:00AM on the way to the airport and hung my GBA on her door and told her I'd rather have it as a distraction than me. We would play SMB3 together, side by side on her couch.

It's a fun memory. It's one of about 2-3 nice things I did that I think made her see me as a "keeper". She doesn't like gaming half as much as I do, so she was well aware of the sacrifice of me being on an 11 hour flight with nothing to do.

Well yeah but my point is that yours seems to be the majority (perhaps overwhelming majority) viewpoint and in your case you and your better(?) half DO travel a lot and thus have a far greater need for that kind of thing than an introvert homebody like myself.  Though I don't drive (disability reasons mainly as well as can't afford to maintain a vehicle that would be seldom used) I do think the idea of say, having a van (a real one like Mr T's A-Team van, not one of those little soccer mom mini-vans :P) decked out with an NES room or something in the back. 🙂 

I mostly play portable games at home - but it's a case of being able to wander around the house with it, and pick it up and put it down at a moment's notice. Playing a console game feels like an Event I need to dedicate at least half an hour to make it worthwhile; a handheld I can pick up and play five minutes of any time.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
8 hours ago, AdamW said:

I mostly play portable games at home - but it's a case of being able to wander around the house with it, and pick it up and put it down at a moment's notice. Playing a console game feels like an Event I need to dedicate at least half an hour to make it worthwhile; a handheld I can pick up and play five minutes of any time.

Bingo

• Like 1