IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Antarctic Adventure

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
VGS NES Weekly Contest proudly presents... one of my favourite games of all time: Antarctic Adventure! With everyone's favourite penguin, Penta!

This week, our fast players will put their penguin legs to the test, looping around Antarctica again and again!
The rules for this week are very simple:

• Pick level 1
  • Run for as long as you can
  • Loop the game as many times as your poor endurance allows you too
  • Either pause the game when you run out of time to take your picture or take it during appraise mode to get your score.
  • Highest score wins
  • Genre: Action

Run Penta, run! Run for ever lasting peace!

09_Antarctiv_Adventure_Sage.png.ee14a1c5

The contest ends Sunday, 05/23/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted
1st NESfiend 306,720
2nd PII 303,620
3rd bertsampson 259,680
4th Dr. Morbis 241,770
5th mbd39 231,640
6th Jeevan 221,850
7th MegaMan52 202,270
8th arnpoly 187,150
9th dvertov 184,740
10th the_wizard_666 146,630
11th Krunch 132,070
12th JamesRobot 114,570
13th RH 108,430
14th 0xDEAFC0DE 90,590
15th FireHazard51 69,740
16th Ausden 24,210
17th Mega Tank 19,280

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

This game is super fun.  Why did it not make it to NA?  Im having a blast with it so far!!!!

It is a crime that it didn't make to NA.
Here in Brazil it was a staple in multi cart bootlegs. And it was love on the first sight for me.
This game is amazing.
Simple and challenging.

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

It's not the most technically advanced game and it's kind of repetitive. It looks identical to the Colecovision version from what I can see.

Well, it is a game from 1983 made for the MSX.
It is impressive considering it's age.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeevan said:

This game is super fun.  Why did it not make it to NA?  Im having a blast with it so far!!!!

Def agree with you and bea that this is a really fun game. Right up my alley. Feels like a rad racer style game with jumping. Question is, with all the fun you are having, wheres that score you sandbaggin mofo 🙂

Events Helper · Posted
18 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Def agree with you and bea that this is a really fun game. Right up my alley. Feels like a rad racer style game with jumping. Question is, with all the fun you are having, wheres that score you sandbaggin mofo 🙂

you can see this one, was my first playthrough.

OiQUlZD.jpg

• Like 3

New Score: 202,270

antarcticadventurefamicomscore.jpg.679047fa0b6868943015d5377e6b2021.jpg

Previous Score: 182,130

antarcticadventurescore.jpg.14a3b9fabee7cd6444ab92607dc171d2.jpg

I wanted to play this game using my NES because it is included in a 110 in 1 NES (not Famicom) multicart I have, but it refuses to work so I had to play it using my GameCube with FCE Ultra GX.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

I need to find a way to play these games on an actual NES and controller.  I swear there's lag using an emulator and a Switch Pro controller. Those flippin seals keep popping up and I don't have the time to move out of the way.

Oh well, this gets me on the board.

PXL_20210521_202906348.jpg.e944b87f79a5292227ac777c0f86997c.jpg

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

176,690       201,580       209,510       233,460       275,920       303,620

Oh boy, I actually managed to forget about this for a couple of days.  Hopefully this'll be a little easier than the Colecovision controller I'm used to.  

Imagine having to circumnavigate Antarctica on penguin legs, YIKES!

303,620.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

aa3.thumb.jpg.8dccf2cba9b7dc59b86b8b858c2cde70.jpg

First time playing the game in years.  Forgot how much my thumbs hate it, but not a bad game overall.  Still, I suck at it 😛

Got to level 10 and failed miserably to finish the game.  Still, a great game.  Gonna try and at least beat it by the end of the week, although I don't expect a great score or anything.

Almost looped the game twice - got to Stage 20 before my thumbs pretty much crapped out on me.  Since I don't feel much like pausing every 15 levels or so to get a better score, I think I'm done for the week. 

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

Where are the REAL scores at?
Not a single over 300K score so far. Shameful!

You know, I need to stop playing to just play and find out how you all "get serious".  I've been unashamed to admit I competitively suck at games, but I just play to have fun.  I'm struggling to beating 40k.  Seriously, how are you guys consistently good at "everything".  Maybe I just quickly develop a strong sense of muscle-memory with all of these games, except the muscle-memory is always wrong!

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

You know, I need to stop playing to just play and find out how you all "get serious".  I've been unashamed to admit I competitively suck at games, but I just play to have fun.  I'm struggling to beating 40k.  Seriously, how are you guys consistently good at "everything".  Maybe I just quickly develop a strong sense of muscle-memory with all of these games, except the muscle-memory is always wrong!

first time playing it this week and i just find it fun, it is hectic, a lot of the time i just find myself jumping like a mad man penguin.

2 hours ago, RH said:

Maybe I just quickly develop a strong sense of muscle-memory with all of these games, except the muscle-memory is always wrong!

When I was struggling with this early, I was just relying on instinct. Started getting better when I started playing each stage as a unique stage. Some are easier than others and the difficulty isnt necessarily increasing sequentially. Getting to know distance you have to run compared to time on the clock is big too. You can determine when to and not to get aggressive going for points. Stage 10 is tough. Just try to get thru it rather than score. 

It took me a while to crack 100k. Once I got there though, I quickly got close to 200. 300 seems like a tall order. Loop 3 gets pretty tough fast.