IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Antarctic Adventure

BeaIank

23 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Mayhaps I need to get an upscaler, set up my Phantom System with my capture card and do some live streams playing this to get live footage to submit for a certified world record. 🤔

You should! Id really like to see that. I looked on TG and didnt see much for this game. Any idea what the current world record is? 

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You should! Id really like to see that. I looked on TG and didnt see much for this game. Any idea what the current world record is? 

No idea. But there is no way a paltry 380K score should be a world record.

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Id be willing to bet the ACTUAL world record is Bea's PB if she were to submit it. Seems like youd have to be really inhuman to get to 350 and I think she got 375. Thats beyond crazy with how fast the 4th loop gets and how little time is on the clocks compared to the distance you have to travel.

Yeah, prob. a good bet.

Note To Self: Crack 400K

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Does this game become literally impossible in later races due to not giving enough time? That stinks.

Yup. Bea would have maxed it Im sure if you could. Look how crazy the clock is in that youtube video where he died at 32. She had to have gotten close t0 40 to get that score. 

Ive always assumed that any loopable game where difficulty increases will eventually become impossible, no matter the players ability. I guess the difference is you can max the score first on most others. 

Social Team · Posted

image.png.c00e91f26a4e4e75cd76277db35c2e5b.png

@Jeevan I feel like such an idiot.  I had saved my high score to be posted later on Sunday as I didn't want to give you and opportunity to see you lost and go for a higher score.  Seeing how you got a 41,850 you surely must of had a better score too. I actually did OK on this week's challenge and could of made up some points for skipping the last challenge.

Spoiler

ACtC-3dwQ4FfStEf6OyQ9Cr3Zd5I6_GEWA0I6Svy

Edited by FireHazard51
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
32 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

image.png.c00e91f26a4e4e75cd76277db35c2e5b.png

@Jeevan I feel like such an idiot.  I had saved my high score to be posted later on Sunday as I didn't want to give you and opportunity to see you lost and go for a higher score.  Seeing how you got a 41,850 you surely must of had a better score too. I actually did OK on this week's challenge and could of made up some points for skipping the last challenge.

Reveal hidden contents

ACtC-3dwQ4FfStEf6OyQ9Cr3Zd5I6_GEWA0I6Svy

never hold back Lil buddy!!!

Social Team · Posted
16 hours ago, Jeevan said:

pretty sure he meant Gilligan's island ya nub!  sheesh lol

Either @ChickenTendashas really impressed me or I've severely underestimated how much lasting pop culture that show has had.  I totally remember watching that show, Flipper, and Lassie as a kid.  And there were in black and white.  Also watched TV a bit on a old black and white tv too but that wasn't for long and not the point.  No I'm not 60 years old, I watch reruns that were still being aired.  

6 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Either @ChickenTendashas really impressed me or I've severely underestimated how much lasting pop culture that show has had.  I totally remember watching that show, Flipper, and Lassie as a kid.  And there were in black and white.  Also watched TV a bit on a old black and white tv too but that wasn't for long and not the point.  No I'm not 60 years old, I watch reruns that were still being aired.  

The file name of the picture is "gilligan-bob-denver.gif"

• Angry 1

7 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I was born in 1981, and some of my earliest TV memories (likely 1984ish) were seeing TV on a small B&W we had that was for some reason in my bed room.  Eventually, my Mom remarried when I was around 5 and that B&W TV came with us and is what the 2600 was hooked up too.

People use to buy TVs and use them for decades.  I'm pretty sure that unit, though small, was probably bought in the early 70s.  It stuck around and was used in some form until probably the early 90s.  At that point, I think, my parents upgraded the living room TV, which meant the old TV went to their bedroom and then me and my brother inherited the older TV in my parents bedroom.  That's how we worked.  We finally got a color TV in our bedroom around 1991-92, and it was so long to B&W for me!

And today, I miss that old B&W.  I have fond memories of that thing.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

Just watched it with my parents 🤷‍♂️

I can't imagine trying to make out the picture on a tiny B&W tube haha. Don't know how you managed that, even for a short time 😛

Tendas, when 32" is considered a MASSIVE TV you don't notice that your 25" is small.  Small is watching TV on a GameGear screen.  I totally played Atari 2600 on a B&W TV.  We didn't get a remote control TV for years.  I still remember the old cable channel's remote having the 20" long cord.

50314387e039e5b58e88419844885f3c.jpg

Holy Shit!  This was actually my city's channel's.  I see WCPO, WLWT, WXIX, & WCET there, this was for the Cincinnati area.  @Bearcat-DougDoes this bring back memories for you?

Edited by FireHazard51

Events Helper · Posted

I remember playing dragon warrior 2 on a little b&w TV, not sure of the size, but it had uhf dial as well as the standard lol.  It was tiny enough we used to put it on the kitchen table and play while we waited on our friends to come over to the back door to get us to go play.

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Tendas, when 32" is considered a MASSIVE TV you don't notice that your 25" is small.  Small is watching TV on a GameGear screen.  I totally played Atari 2600 on a B&W TV.  We didn't get a remote control TV for years.  I still remember the old cable channel's remote having the 20" long cord.

50314387e039e5b58e88419844885f3c.jpg

Holy Shit!  This was actually my city's channel's.  I see WCPO, WLWT, WXIX, & WCET there, this was for the Cincinnati area.  @Bearcat-DougDoes this bring back memories for you?

We didn't even have a remote when we first got cable. There was a sliding switch on the set top box that you used to change the channels. I remember having one of those channel cards though!

Events Team · Posted

Finally posted the final standings.
Congratulations for @NESfiend for his victory and for breaking the easy 300K points threshold.
Congratulations for @PII for also breaking the easy 300K points threshold and securing 2nd place.
In third place we have @bertsampson with a very lazy 259K points score.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• The topic was unpinned
Events Team · Posted

A decade without playing, playing on an emulator and a keyboard surely hinders your skill with a particular game indeed.

image.png.3e0e6df9f27fe53935918e2ba19b0b5b.png

This is a pathetic score for stage 35.
Didn't focus on flags and fish enough on the early stages. Comes with not playing the game in almost a decade.
I will likely stream some runs this weekend.
This game is very relaxing.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

OK, this is more like it.
If I weren't so bad at this, breaking 400K would be a breeze, but I am terrible at catching the fish so I only focus on the flags to add to my score.
I should focus on being less bad at this.

image.png.632953165498ed2838d8e96268a7e211.pngO

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

OK, this is more like it.
If I weren't so bad at this, breaking 400K would be a breeze, but I am terrible at catching the fish so I only focus on the flags to add to my score.
I should focus on being less bad at this.

image.png.632953165498ed2838d8e96268a7e211.pngO

Impressive! I was getting fish pretty regularly by the end of the week. If I can do it, you def can. And if you are getting that high with a keyboard, I want to see the video run when you get the controller hooked up 

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Impressive! I was getting fish pretty regularly by the end of the week. If I can do it, you def can. And if you are getting that high with a keyboard, I want to see the video run when you get the controller hooked up 

Nah, it is a poor score.
This Saturday I will stream some runs to try to get an actual decent score to submit for a world record.
Anything under 400K will be just trash.

• Haha 1