IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Antarctic Adventure

BeaIank

40 minutes ago, dvertov said:

I really hate when you run out of time juuuust before you get to the next outpost...

45179A53-AE31-4D06-B652-05B954403B89.jpeg.f3011b56172342eb2f857c3f577bfc28.jpeg

I should have taken a photo, but I ended a run with 0001 km left on level 20. Had a really good score going. My thumb is about ready to fall off. Probably about done with this one. If I could just have my right thumb and left thumb switch places for a while

Events Team · Posted

Current standings posted.
I am effing disappointed. The 1st place so far has around 100k points less than my PB in this game and I fucking SUCK at video games.
No one even crossed the 300K threshold! The hell you all doing?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I am effing disappointed. The 1st place so far has around 100k points less than my PB in this game and I fucking SUCK at video games.

You know how I felt during Marble Madness. No other score over 170k? Come on guys.

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
8 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

busy hosting games and working OT.  Sorry oh great @BeaIank we are not worthy.  Please forgive us poor plebs.  We do agree that this this a gem that needed a physical release in the US.  In fact, I plan on getting copies of this and quarth since we have played both and I enjoyed both.  Now to get someone in Japan to send it to me 🤔

7 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Fine @NESfiend here is my real score, i still love the game even though it is really unforgiving on the third loop 😢 

rI94frZ.jpg

@BeaIank  😭 I'm sorry, but i still love the game and plan on getting a copy for my collection

I hadnt ever played this and it was a lot of fun. Right up my alley for sure. 

• Like 1

I imagine a lot of folks upon catching an initial glance at this game's frame rate (which of course cannot compare to present day tech.), would dismiss it as primitive, but a good marathon like this week is sufficient to learn just how well designed the game is.

Reminds me in a way of playing original Dragon Warrior a few years back for the first time in probably 20 - 25 years, and wondering at first if I would have as much fun as I did in the heyday.  I was pleasantly surprised how well designed that game was and how much fun it still was.

Anyway, Congrats NESfiend!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PII said:

I imagine a lot of folks upon catching an initial glance at this game's frame rate (which of course cannot compare to present day tech.), would dismiss it as primitive, but a good marathon like this week is sufficient to learn just how well designed the game is.

Reminds me in a way of playing original Dragon Warrior a few years back for the first time in probably 20 - 25 years, and wondering at first if I would have as much fun as I did in the heyday.  I was pleasantly surprised how well designed that game was and how much fun it still was.

Anyway, Congrats NESfiend!  

Nice score! It was a hell of a battle! Fun trading blows through the day. I quit after that run, but nervously put the game back in later when I saw you were right there with my score. That game really was badass. Its as fair as an nes game gets really. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

Nice score! It was a hell of a battle! Fun trading blows through the day. I quit after that run, but nervously put the game back in later when I saw you were right there with my score. That game really was badass. Its as fair as an nes game gets really. 

Thanks, I'm glad I at least did well enough to stave off any further Bea-ratement of my score, lol.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, PII said:

Thanks, I'm glad I at least did well enough to stave off any further Bea-ratement of my score, lol.

Meant to ask what level you got to? I got to 32. I blew that one hard immediately, so its hard to judge if it were doable. Level 31 came down to last second for me, so that loop is probably just out of my league. 

Edited by NESfiend

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Meant to ask what level you got to? I got to 32. I blew that one hard immediately, so its hard to judge if it were doable. Level 31 came down to last second for me, so that loop is probably just out of my league. 

I don't have a perfectly definitive answer for that question.  On my high run was the only time I didn't manage to pause it before time ran out.  One of my previous runs ended on level 32 and this last one was 32 or 33 I think but I'm uncertain.  I thought I was going to have enough almost for sure but the level gave me 30-some seconds with something like 650km...   ...I wonder what the world record would be on this one....

12 hours ago, PII said:

I don't have a perfectly definitive answer for that question.  On my high run was the only time I didn't manage to pause it before time ran out.  One of my previous runs ended on level 32 and this last one was 32 or 33 I think but I'm uncertain.  I thought I was going to have enough almost for sure but the level gave me 30-some seconds with something like 650km...   ...I wonder what the world record would be on this one....

Id be willing to bet the ACTUAL world record is Bea's PB if she were to submit it. Seems like youd have to be really inhuman to get to 350 and I think she got 375. Thats beyond crazy with how fast the 4th loop gets and how little time is on the clocks compared to the distance you have to travel.