IGNORED

TV Series Debates #2 [Space Sci-Fi] - 'Battle Star Galactica (2004)', 'Firefly' & 'Stargate: SG-1'

RH

TV Series Debates #2 [Space Sci-Fi] - 'Battle Star Galactica (2004)', 'Firefly' & 'Stargate: SG-1'  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Battle Star Galactica (2004)

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite TV series of all time. You've seen every episode, and most multiple times.
    • 9/10 - Killer show. Everyone should watch it through at least once.
    • 8/10 - Great show and highly recommendable.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great. Worth enjoying but you don't have to go out of your way to watch the entire series.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy catching an episode or two in syndication, or on streaming if you think about it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'd ever consider to search out to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives than this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - So bad, watching this show hurts. If it were on in a waiting room and this was on the TV, you'd have to unplug the TV or leave.
    • Seen only an episode or two, but highly interested in seeing more.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never, or barely seen it, but have no intention of trying to watch this.
  2. 2. Firefly

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite TV series of all time. You've seen every episode, and most multiple times.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great. Worth enjoying but you don't have to go out of your way to watch the entire series.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy catching an episode or two in syndication, or on streaming if you think about it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'd ever consider to search out to watch.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 0/10 - So bad, watching this show hurts. If it were on in a waiting room and this was on the TV, you'd have to unplug the TV or leave.
  3. 3. Stargate: SG-1

• 3/10 - Not very good.

Our first properly themed week is Space Sci-Fi. There are a TON of space sci-fi shows out there so it was tough to choose.  There are likely some obvious choices, however I have left out some that might be part of an obvious series and if enough people suggest it, I might make a "Classic Sci-Fi" bracket with some of the more historically important shows on a future week.

Going forward, I won't make much commentary on my list choosing but I did want to establish that on some weeks, some obvious TV shows may be left out for future future.

The Master List of Debated TV Shows

This Weeks TV Shows

Battle Star Galactica

Air Dates: December 8, 2003 - March 20, 2009

Total Seasons: 4

Total Episodes: 76 + 2 Movies

image.png.e8954b6e44469ec74a9f740a10f586a4.png

Firefly

Air Dates: September 20 – December 20, 2002

Total Seasons: 1

Total Episodes: 14 + 1 Movie

image.png.927bf687d59dcdf251e21d0bde339995.png

Stargate: SG-1

Air Dates: July 27, 1997 – March 13, 2007

Total Seasons: 10

Total Episodes: 214 + 2 Movies

image.png.4e848621c2d9c503f230b33f4708db5f.png 

Editorials Team · Posted

Battlestar was highly enjoyable, but I felt it got weaker the further along it went.  And Starbuck's uh, arc?  Bleh.  7

Firefly is great, but obviously super short.  I guess it never got a chance to overstay it's welcome though.  8

Never watched any Stargate show, but I bet I'd like them.

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Never watched any Stargate show, but I bet I'd like them.

I binged it during work starting in December, I think.  I got up to season 8.  It starts "ok", gets really, really good and then it slowly descends.  10 years is a long time to be on air, especially a Sci-Fi show.  I want to finish it, but so far, I'm not interested in going back.  My current TV of choice is MST3K/RiffTrax.

1 hour ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Firefly was done dirty by fox , but it's such a good show. It's short so fast watch, I suggest you do it. 

We've started on Stargate, think almost season 3? The faces Teal'c makes is half the reason to watch the show.

tealc-a14186a9-7b31-4a63-a9e1-a737dc53abf-resize-750.jpg

netflix stargate GIF

• Like 1

"Only watched a couple of episodes", 9, 8 for me.

Firefly had potential to be a 10, if only it had a proper ending. For those interested in watching, it's 100% worth it if you can accept it end on basically a cliff hanger. Ignore the movie. Please.

As mentioned, I've enjoyed most of SG1. I also recommend it but, yes, it starts to drag on but I wouldn't say it's yet to over stay it's welcome.

Some friends of my wife and I were very much into BSG. They had the mini series on DVD and gave it to us to borrow years ago. I found it interesting but I've yet to be motivated to watch the series. Maybe I will. One day.

10 hours ago, The Count said:

I've only seen the Firefly movie, but I liked it.

If you liked the movie, there's a good chance you'll like (and maybe prefer) the show. The movie does the standard audience pandering move of over-simplifying the characters for the sake of those who never watched the show. There are also a few minor (but rather significant) story and setting contradictions that the movie makes for the sake of drama.

All that to say, I guess, that I'm glad the movie exists because it gave us more Firefly...but it also frustrated me quite a bit and I don't find myself revisiting it very often.

The show, on the other hand, I have watched front-to-back at least a half-dozen times. It didn't even survive a full season, sadly, but what there is of it is just tops.

• Like 1

Battlestar Galatica has a great concept and characters.  The last of humanity trying to survive and on the run from sleeper agents who can easily blend in, leads to a lot of tense stories.  The first two seasons are excellent, nothing quite else like it. But then the third season really suffers and goes a bit off the rails during the New Caprica arc.  It gets better during the final season, but some of the last min reveals were pretty divisive.

Firefly is great throughout as a fun space western with a great cast, as is Serenity which acts as a big budget movie finale.

44 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

If you liked the movie, there's a good chance you'll like (and maybe prefer) the show. The movie does the standard audience pandering move of over-simplifying the characters for the sake of those who never watched the show. There are also a few minor (but rather significant) story and setting contradictions that the movie makes for the sake of drama.

All that to say, I guess, that I'm glad the movie exists because it gave us more Firefly...but it also frustrated me quite a bit and I don't find myself revisiting it very often.

The show, on the other hand, I have watched front-to-back at least a half-dozen times. It didn't even survive a full season, sadly, but what there is of it is just tops.

I think that Firelfy was made better by being cut short. With the show under constant threat of being canceled. The writers really had to put maximum effort into each episode. There was no filler, like happens with a standard 22 episode season. 

• Like 1