Jump to content
IGNORED

Stray Thoughts


Hammerfestus
 Share

Recommended Posts

I can’t believe there’s not a successor to the electric boogaloo threads  so here’s a thread for all those thoughts you want to get out that don’t belong someplace else and don’t deserve their own thread.

 

Aaron Rodgers should retire from football  and become the permanent host of Jeopardy.  

  • Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

Is the idea that we all just post random thoughts?  Some will post stuff and no one will mention it, others will just discuss someone else's comment?  Not a bad idea if that's the case.

I don't know anything about Mr. Rodgers.  I wondered what would happen to Jeopardy.  I'm sure it will stay on, but much like The Price is Right, 90% of what made those classic game shows what they were were the consistent personalities on it.  I mean, I can't even imagine Jeopardy without first thinking of Will Ferrell Alex Trebek.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RH said:

Is the idea that we all just post random thoughts?  Some will post stuff and no one will mention it, others will just discuss someone else's comment?  Not a bad idea if that's the case.

I don't know anything about Mr. Rodgers.  I wondered what would happen to Jeopardy.  I'm sure it will stay on, but much like The Price is Right, 90-% of what made those classic game shows what they were were the consistent personalities on it.  I mean, I can't even imagine Jeopardy without first thinking of Will Ferrell Alex Trebek.

Yeah that’s the idea.  
 

We record  our Jeopardy and watch at our leisure so I’m a bit behind.  First episode I thought he had CTE or something but by episode 2 it became clear that he’s brilliant at it.  A nice snarky successor.  Though I haven’t seen Geordi yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
14 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I agree that, long term, they need a Jeopardy host who will stick around for many years.  However, in the short term, I think it's fine to go through several different hosts just for fun.  Have they considered Will Ferrell for just one show? (just for fun)

I would find a way to watch that episode.  It's a shame Mr. Connery is dead.  If he were still alive and healthy, if they could get him on the show, there's no doubt it'd have the highest ratings in the history of the game.  Possibly more than "the best" vs. that IBM AI machine (can't recall what it was called.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

You all should take a day off, it's nice. 

I'm saving my vacation for something coming up soon.

When I got married I lived in Missouri, but I planned to move to Illinois since my wife lived there.  In addition to my wife, her family and my family lived in Illinois. so it made sense to move there.  Unfortunately, this was right after the housing crash and my house was worth less then what I paid for it.  Luckily I didn't buy more house than I could afford, so I wasn't upside down on my house, BUT I certainly didn't want to sell it for a loss either.  So I decided to rent it out and I've been renting it ever since.  

So with the way the housing market is today, I've decided to finally sell it.  I would have sold it earlier this year, but I didn't want to sell it with the rental contract in place.  Since that contract ends this month, I'm going to list it in June.  On June 1st, I'm going to haul a shit load of cleaning and painting supplies along with a sleeping bad and air mattress and move into the house for a week to fix it up to sell it.  I'm not planning on putting much money into it, but I will clean everything and put fresh paint on the walls.  It will be a long week, but I'm looking forward to getting this thing sold and out of my life.  

I've been lucky to have good renters over these years, but it's still a 90 minute drive round trip when I have to go out and fix things.  I once drove 90 minutes round trip to spend 90 seconds fixing a clogged garbage disposal.  I'm looking forward to that being over.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
6 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Why did we decide to give February just 28 days when lots of other months have 31 days? Couldn’t we just have taken a couple of 31st days from other months and added them to February? 

I'm sure there is a history to this that "makes sense" but I have no clue and now I'm curious.  I'm sure it boils down to the science of managing time got better and better over the last 2500 years, and matching that with peoples unwillingness to change made it what it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

And personal thoughts.  My wife is on the better side of COVID (her experience was some where between the cold and the flu, though she has lost 95% of her ability to smell).  I started experiencing minor symptoms around Wednesday (minor scratchy throat) that persisted until last night and the scratch went up about 3x worse.  Still not terrible, nor as bad as strep, but I am tired.  Thankfully, I can still smell, but my wife lost her smell yesterday.  If we have the same response, I might lose my smell tomorrow or Monday.

BUT! Having COVID now in our home really did cause both of us to have one of those weird, "Aha!" moments.  It's really crazy to think that if you took all of the virus that first entered patient-0 in China, it's be so small, you couldn't see.  Possibly just a few hundred virii floating around entered one person.

13 months later, the virus is everywhere.  The weird thought isn't so much the thought of the disease spreading from person to person, as the realization that something so tiny and minuscule has literally spread and turned the world on it's head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RH said:

I'm sure there is a history to this that "makes sense" but I have no clue and now I'm curious.  I'm sure it boils down to the science of managing time got better and better over the last 2500 years, and matching that with peoples unwillingness to change made it what it is.

Im sure thats pretty close. I always thought it would  make more to have the leap day occur at the end of December too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2021 at 5:11 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Why did we decide to give February just 28 days when lots of other months have 31 days? Couldn’t we just have taken a couple of 31st days from other months and added them to February? 

Do you want to have to explain to some high-ranking General in Roman times why his birthday suddenly no longer exists.........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

I wonder if the rudder has a "jam" setting?

A bit pricey though - they send you a bit at a time over 24 months at $70 a month.*  And the display case is extra. I wonder if they will make the Tirpitz too?

*You do get a $5 discount on the first kit they send you,  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I wonder if the rudder has a "jam" setting?

A bit pricey though - they send you a bit at a time over 24 months at $70 a month.*  And the display case is extra. I wonder if they will make the Tirpitz too?

*You do get a $5 discount on the first kit they send you,  

image.gif.44b582d2c0d99bcd3778c9ee6725d2e8.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...