IGNORED

Stray Thoughts

Hammerfestus

1 hour ago, RH said:

THAT is awesome.  OTOH, it feels a bit pricey since it's a (very good) replica.  But on the other hand, it is a screen used "Disney" prop so I know that adds value.

If I had the abundant, expendable cash, my house would be getting some fake ramparts and my wife would just have to find a way to make it "look pretty" in the front yard.

🤣

I am seriously tempted to get one of these in the very near future:

1196911020.jpg.a469af0f45d6e1e46c58421519404fb6.jpg

https://www.classictoysoldiers.com/cgi-bin/ctsc6/rtl/phd.cgi?Autoincrement=003528&display_related=Yes&tag_rf=54mm Playsets 54mm Toy Soldiers+Alamo Figures (54mm) 54mm Toy Soldiers+Alamo and Fort Accessories (54mm) 54mm Playsets+Alamo Playets Manufacturers 54mm+CLASSIC TOY SOLDIERS --- CTS

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

WTB: Everything on my WTB list, for a reasonable price.

How do people determine what’s on their WTB list?  I am completely bereft of any sort of planning when it comes to this hobby.  It appeals to my impulsiveness and I let my impulsiveness dictate my direction

15 minutes ago, RH said:

That's pretty pricey for specialty "green army men" type toys.  However, I'd love to see a really good miniature painter/artist take a set like that and run wild on it.  THAT would be really cool.

The cost is mainly in the fort itself - most Alamo sets have/had tin walls and one building.   This one is also fairly accurate in terms of the buildings etc - even to scale an accurate one (in terms of size) would have been much bigger than this one (which is 4' square).  The real Alamo would have needed a garrison of at least 1000 men to adequately defend it as opposed to the slightly less than 200 that were actually there.

Obviously not a playset to be played with (maybe a display) it is primarily a collector's piece.  While I have the cash I am still going to think a lot about it before I pull the trigger (if I do).  (It is actually much more elaborate than any of the sets from the fifties and sixties.)

Here is a picture of the largest vintage playset (made by Marx):

1704147032_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.1b8ffdf33de15b97f202cd84107bc1a4.jpg

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

How do people determine what’s on their WTB list?  I am completely bereft of any sort of planning when it comes to this hobby.  It appeals to my impulsiveness and I let my impulsiveness dictate my direction

Well for me, I'm trying to do some fullsets (mostly).

I've got everything im gonna get for NES, got SNES, N64, Game Boy (sans one), Virtual boy, game Gear, etc completed. Need a lot more Gamecube, Genesis, Dreamcast and Saturn titles. So anything I don't have, is on my list. 

Besides that, I go with whatever tickles my fancy as well. Random shop has some 3DO games? I'll dig that.

Not sure what criteria non fullset collectors would use.

32 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

If I want it, it goes on my list.  If I see it, want it, and I have the cash, it skips the list and goes straight to the collection.

However, most of my extensive want list are items that fall in two categories, I either want a complete set for the specific system (currently only Game Gear and N64.  I don't care if they are "easy") and then everything else is basically a game that I've so much as played once as a kid or I really wanted the game but never got it.  Throw that in with a few games for systems I never owned but I love the franchise and you have about 500 items I'm looking to buy/trade for.

32 minutes ago, RH said:

Throw that in with a few games for systems I never owned but I love the franchise and you have about 500 items I'm looking to buy/trade for.

I'm in a good place despite the market being what it is.

I have the "majority" of what I'm looking for, with a collection of over 6,000 games.

A quick review of my lists shows I am looking for just over 800 games left, split up mostly between Gamecube, Genesis Dreamcast, and Sega Saturn games, with some random stuff here and there. It's not getting any cheaper but it's nice knowing I have the majority of what I want.

Of course, that isn't counting boxes/manuals for loose Nintendo carts I have, random Genesis manuals I need from before I started only buying CIBs, etc... so even though I don't have a whole lot of games left to get, I still have a lot of stuff to look for.

• Like 1

Here is a really strange movie from 1953 - it was the only live action film made by Dr. Seuss .

It was a flop at the time since it was marketed as a kid's film - but it was just too strange for that - and too far ahead of its time to appeal to an older audience.  But as a fantasy if found a niche as a cult film several decades later.

Hans Conreid was a wonderful comedian/comic actor who does pretty well with what he has to work with.  Tommy Rettig (the child actor) was also the first child star of the long running tv series Lassie.  (He didn't play Timmy (of being in the well fame) - Timmy came along after Rettig left the series.)

Depending on your taste in esoteric strange cinema you might want to check it out,

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 12:56 PM, RH said:

That's pretty pricey for specialty "green army men" type toys.  However, I'd love to see a really good miniature painter/artist take a set like that and run wild on it.  THAT would be really cool.

Here is a video of that playset that shows the fort pretty well.   (This set looks like it has a lot of extra figures added - the sign at the start is actually a header card for a bag  of extra figures).

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Tabonga said:

On a whim I picked up a bag of these on my last trip to the grocery store.  The combination of the two flavors works surprisingly well.

423129580_71r73sd4EwL._SX522_PIbundle-2TopRight00_SX522SY447SH20_.jpg.59a449373e7939ed7b59a04703b88027.jpg

We all know these two are the first to go in the Christmas tins ans, yes, it takes it to a whole new level when you eat a handful of both together.

And the butter is fine. Good but not as good as those two.

8 hours ago, RH said:

We all know these two are the first to go in the Christmas tins ans, yes, it takes it to a whole new level when you eat a handful of both together.

And the butter is fine. Good but not as good as those two.

These are quite a bit better quality than the popcorn you generally get in those tins.

14 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I was going to say this is just stupid kids being stupid kids, but since some were caught and there's video footage of others and they are all adults, you can't help but ask why?  If you are going to steal something, steal something of value.  8-10 cases of Lil Debbie's can't be worth that much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RH said:

I was going to say this is just stupid kids being stupid kids, but since some were caught and there's video footage of others and they are all adults, you can't help but ask why?  If you are going to steal something, steal something of value.  8-10 cases of Lil Debbie's can't be worth that much.

About the only good thing about Little Debbie's is that they are generally a bit better than the storebrands.

Just now, Tabonga said:

About the only good thing about Little Debbie's is that they are generally a bit better than the storebrands.

When I would eat this type of junk food, I LOVED Swiss Rolls and Oatmeal Cream Pies.  I still like them, but I can't eat them for health reasons.  Oh, and of course there were the Christmas Trees, which are great out of the freezer.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RH said:

When I would eat this type of junk food, I LOVED Swiss Rolls and Oatmeal Cream Pies.  I still like them, but I can't eat them for health reasons.  Oh, and of course there were the Christmas Trees, which are great out of the freezer.

I do prefer their fig bars over the other brands - they are big enough that the fig flavor really comes through.