IGNORED

Help me settle a debate: Is a cheesesteak a sub?

CodysGameRoom

Is a cheesesteak a sub?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is a cheesesteak (famously known as a philly cheesesteak) a sub sandwich?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Interesting result so far...

So a philly cheesesteak is definitely not a sub. 

The "its on a sub roll" argument is completely invalid. IF you use the same bun on a hamburger and a chicken sandwich does that make a chicken sandwich a hamburger? No. The bread is irrelevant. 

I challenge any one of you who said yes, it is a sub, to find one single source on the internet that says a philly is a sub. 

On Wikipedia's list of notable sandwiches, submarine and philly cheesesteak and listed separately. On the Wikipedia page for Sub, the words philly or cheesesteak and not mentioned once, not even in related articles. On the Wikipedia page for phillys, subs are not mentioned once. I understand Wikipedia is crowd sourced information and not always reliable, but in this case I think it's pretty safe.

So, if anyone wants to back up their claim, I'll be waiting. Until then, I think it's quite clear that a philly cheesesteak is clear as day, not a sub. 

You never posted your own reasoning why it is not a sub.

You make a thread with zero reasoning then come back and still give none.

• Confused 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, phart010 said:

So let me get this straight.. Is a hot dog bun now classified as a sub roll due to its form? 

I thought 2021 was supposed to be a return to normality 🤨

Using the Cube Rule logic, we can actually expand Taco Tuesdays to include quite the wide array of food choices!

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Yes, I am quite aware of that, but submarine sandwich isn't the same as sub sandwich; the latter combination I've never heard before, I mean why abbreviate only partially?

Same reason when people come into the store and ask for “cran” shots of vodka instead of cranberry. Annoys the fuck out of me. 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, fox said:

You never posted your own reasoning why it is not a sub.

You make a thread with zero reasoning then come back and still give none.

I made it clear in my first response. At the time, I thought it was not a sub, because it is it's own thing: A cheesesteak sandwich. 

If you read more of the thread, I've been mostly persuaded to agree that it's, at the least, a type of sub. 

• Wow! 1

I lived there for a few years. Never heard of them considered as such. I did enjoy a cheesesteak hoagie from a place near work (it had LTO and mayo on top, or maybe it was BLT). But you would never say just “hoagie” when what you mean is cheesesteak, nor does anyone there ever say “cheesesteak hoagie”.

Here’s the menu from a place near my first house there. Steaks and hoagies are completely different sections, not even adjacent.
Here is a more famous example; also separate categories.

Same thing with Italian beef. Nobody in Chicago considers them subs. Most people ITT would, but you’re not in Chicago where they came from. Outsiders’ opinions are just that imo. Don’t talk about Subway, lol. They are… not utter shit, but their cheesesteak is 🤮 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Link said:

Same thing with Italian beef. Nobody in Chicago considers them subs. Most people ITT would, but you’re not in Chicago where they came from. Outsiders’ opinions are just that imo. Don’t talk about Subway, lol. They are… not utter shit, but their cheesesteak is 🤮 

"Outsider" categorization is more likely to be valid and objective, IMO, due to a lack of emotional investment 😛

(especially when it comes to how fast and loose Chicagoans are with food terms like "pizza" 😉 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

"Outsider" categorization is more likely to be valid and objective, IMO, due to a lack of emotional investment 😛

(especially when it comes to how fast and loose Chicagoans are with food terms like "pizza" 😉 )

We are talking about regional food items here. If somebody wants to copy something that was region-specific for decades and change it somehow, 🤷‍♀️ that’s a change ergo not the same thing. If someone in some other area wants to sell “cheesesteak subs” because that’s how the local population understands things, like, I don’t care, but it is a misnomer. 

The prevailing attitude here is that deep dish pizza is for tourists, or at most a once a year thing. The “real” Chicago pizza is tavern style. I’m not really into it, but you would recognize it more easily. Fortunately, we have so many “immigrants” from other cities (what’s the right word for that?) and love our hot greazy food here so much that every style of pizza is pretty readily available.

4 hours ago, Richardhead said:

Same reason when people come into the store and ask for “cran” shots of vodka instead of cranberry. Annoys the fuck out of me. 😂

At first I thought they were asking for crayon shots, I was getting concerned, lol.

• Haha 1