IGNORED

Help me settle a debate: Is a cheesesteak a sub?

CodysGameRoom

Is a cheesesteak a sub?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is a cheesesteak (famously known as a philly cheesesteak) a sub sandwich?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I looked it up, and they are a combo of a hoagie and a cheesesteak, with hoagie being the regional dialect in Philly for... you guessed it... sub.

So yes, they are a sub.

How is this even a debate when Google exists?

So a sub ( = hoagie) combined with a cheesesteak is a sub? 

So is blue combined with yellow blue? No, it's green.

If it's a sub combined with a cheesesteak, that makes it something else.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, CodysGameRoom said:

Keep up! I've shifted my logic and am now a vehement believer in the cube rule.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

You guys are really butchering the set theory on this topic 😛

2 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

So a sub is a taco, therefore, a cheesesteak is a sub=type of taco?

Eh, I can see it.

Taco -- involves a tortilla (can have anything as the contents, generally speaking)

Sub - involves a sub-roll of some kind (can have anything as the contents, generally speaking)

So a taco and a sub are never the same thing since they're defined by the bread/form-factor.

But they could certainly have the same contents.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Gloves said:

That is pretty funny -- but the direct retort on Pop Tarts should have been that a Pop Tart is a type of "hand pie" rather than the ravioli angle 😛

Though I would certainly argue that a "hand pie" is potentially a type of sandwich, itself - but then you have to decide if a Calzone is really a gigantic hand pie -- which then comes back around on whether a pizza is an open-faced sandwich.

(though most people eating a NY slice DO turn it into a "taco" for easiest consumption)

EDIT: got down the examples in the Cube Rule and they cover it by having "calzone" as the fully enwrapped sandwich type 😛

Edited by arch_8ngel

@arch_8ngelI think he's referring to my cube rule reference earlier. Best not to take that too seriously.

@CodysGameRoom I'll help you with the logic I outlined earlier with another example. Phone = telephone. Cellular phone is a type of phone. Therefore cellular phone is a type of telephone. There's no addition, just subtyping. It's like a Venn diagram, but you're re-naming one of the circles in the diagram because you live in Philly. Hoagie = sub, but the circle still includes your Philly, at least according to the Wikipedia page on types of sandwiches. Hero = hoagie = submarine sandwich. Cheesesteak is on a hoagie roll. 

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

That is pretty funny -- but the direct retort on Pop Tarts should have been that a Pop Tart is a type of "hand pie" rather than the ravioli angle 😛

Though I would certainly argue that a "hand pie" is potentially a type of sandwich, itself - but then you have to decide if a Calzone is really a gigantic hand pie -- which then comes back around on whether a pizza is an open-faced sandwich.

(though most people eating a NY slice DO turn it into a "taco" for easiest consumption)

A pop tart is a calzone, a hand pie is a calzone, a pizza is toast (they provide it as an example, making this nice and easy for us).

6 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Taco -- involves a tortilla (can have anything as the contents, generally speaking)

Sub - involves a sub-roll of some kind (can have anything as the contents, generally speaking)

So a taco and a sub are never the same thing since they're defined by the bread/form-factor.

But they could certainly have the same contents.

I'm going to use this bread/form-factor thing to settle any food identification disputes that may arise in the future. It's simple and it does actually make sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

A pop tart is a calzone, a hand pie is a calzone, a pizza is toast (they provide it as an example, making this nice and easy for us).

Yeah, I read further and see it now.

Certainly amusing.

I especially like the distinction of which pies are "toast" versus which pies are "tacos".

• Haha 2

Just now, Khromak said:

Depends if you turn it on its side or take a bite out of it. There's a lot of rigorous science going on with the cube rule.

No, it didn't matter if it was on its side, or not.  

That was the whole silly point of the cube rule -- it only mattered how many faces were covered in "structural starch".

• Like 1