IGNORED

Help me settle a debate: Is a cheesesteak a sub?

CodysGameRoom

Is a cheesesteak a sub?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is a cheesesteak (famously known as a philly cheesesteak) a sub sandwich?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Disagree - a meatball sub is a valid type of sub, which sets the precedent that "form factor" (i.e. a bun longer than it is wide) is generally what defines a sandwich as a "sub".

Nah, it's not a sub, it's just a Meatball Sandwich, officially. Review here, listed 100% differently from sub (as is a philly.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sandwiches

30 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Majority does not rule. If you put 100 people in a room, and 90 of them think the earth is flat, that doesn't make them right.

I mean there's a difference between scientific facts and lexicon. As someone else said in this thread earlier, language and what we call things are just societal norms. If we decided tomorrow that a squeemozot was a pizza with pepperoni on it, fine. Groups of people who speak a common language can do that. It's not a fundamental law of physics.

3 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Yes, we did establish Penn Station East Coast Subs as the first example I've seen (and only one).

Jersey Mike's also calls it a "hot sub". They also taste amazing.

https://www.jerseymikes.com/menu/hot-subs/17-mikes-famous-philly

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Khromak said:

I mean there's a difference between scientific facts and lexicon. As someone else said in this thread earlier, language and what we call things are just societal norms. If we decided tomorrow that a squeemozot was a pizza with pepperoni on it, fine. Groups of people who speak a common language can do that. It's not a fundamental law of physics.

Damn, man...squeemozot sounds good tonight...

• Like 1

Just now, Khromak said:

Ok, I won't disagree. However, these changes in nomenclature, as pointed out by the other lad earlier, are usually documented. 

So far, one example on a regional restaurant menu. Certainly no change in lexicon. No edit to the dictionary. etc.

1 minute ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Nah, it's not a sub, it's just a Meatball Sandwich, officially. Review here, listed 100% differently from sub (as is a philly.)

I would dispute the notion that anyone can "officially" declare the concept of a "meatball sandwich" as a thing distinct from a hot sub that comprised of meatballs and sauce 😛

There isn't some "official" organization that decides what type of sandwich things are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Your own link says "Hero, hoagie, or submarine sandwich" and then under philly it says: "Thinly sliced steak and melted cheese in a hoagie roll, with additional toppings often including peppers, onions, and mushrooms, also known as a Philadelphia or Philly cheesesteak." Uh/ So hoagie = submarine. This thing is on a hoagie. What is it?

Spoiler

It's a submarine sandwich

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Explain to me why Charlie's Grilled Subs changed their name to Charlie's Philly Steaks when they stopped selling sub sandwiches? 

Marketing.

Philly Steaks are a specific subset of sub sandwiches.

If they only sell that type of sandwich (because that was presumably their biggest seller) -- then why create any market confusion by making it sound like they might sell other types of subs?

• Like 1

Just now, Khromak said:

Your own link says "Hero, hoagie, or submarine sandwich" and then under philly it says: "Thinly sliced steak and melted cheese in a hoagie roll, with additional toppings often including peppers, onions, and mushrooms, also known as a Philadelphia or Philly cheesesteak." Uh/ So hoagie = submarine. This thing is on a hoagie. What is it?

Hide contents

It's a submarine sandwich

Then why is it listed separately?

Just now, spacepup said:

C'mon man - it's not "JUST" penn station and you know it.  Plus I shared a packaged product as well.  Just from like 20 secs of searching.  

Please read above, I just acknowledged your examples and that this is exactly the type of proof I was asking for. What's the issue?

3 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Then why is it listed separately?

Because your link lists specific sandwich types as well as "generic" broad categories of sandwich (like subs).

They aren't properly categorized -- they are just listed in parallel to each other.

EDIT: just to be clear -- I don't think anyone is attempting the argument that a philly cheeseteak isn't a "specific" type of sandwich.

The argument is that a sub-sandwich is a BROAD category of sandwich that contains philly cheesesteaks as a subtype.

Edited by arch_8ngel