IGNORED

Help me settle a debate: Is a cheesesteak a sub?

CodysGameRoom

Is a cheesesteak a sub?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is a cheesesteak (famously known as a philly cheesesteak) a sub sandwich?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Canada is a weird place. What normal person puts gravy on fries?

Back home there used to be a pizza shop near mine that offered gravy fries, so delicious. Then again, I reckon they also classified cheese steaks as subs.

Yet another American food which seems to be nothing more than a delivery mechanism for cheese directly into your arteries... 🙄

I mean, I like cheese. It's great. But, I mean... That's a LOT of cheese! Does everything need QUITE so much? Might as well just gnaw on a block of cheddar! 😛

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Yet another American food which seems to be nothing more than a delivery mechanism for cheese directly into your arteries... 🙄

I mean, I like cheese. It's great. But, I mean... That's a LOT of cheese! Does everything need QUITE so much? Might as well just gnaw on a block of cheddar! 😛

Been there, find that 😉

Cheese is great.

40 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Haha I was thinking the same thing. I’m sure it tastes good but it looks disgusting.

I’ve never heard of this thing before but it looks like some kind of subway invention using a sub roll. So if I could vote I would say it looks like a sub.

Also learnt a weird word reading this crazy thread, hoagie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shmup said:

Haha I was thinking the same thing. I’m sure it tastes good but it looks disgusting.

I’ve never heard of this thing before but it looks like some kind of subway invention using a sub roll. So if I could vote I would say it looks like a sub.

Also learnt a weird word reading this crazy thread, hoagie.

Hoagie's normal, dammit! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OptOut said:

You obviously are not Scandinavian!   You can never have too much cheese (or dairy products of any sort)! 

---------------------------

And lest we forget we need to add New Orleans' poor boys (aka po boyspo-boys or po' boys) to the discussion.

Guys you’re all insane...

A sandwich is two pieces of bread with filler in between.

A sub, hoagie, or grinder is one piece of bread with filler in the slit.

A taco is a single piece of bread that is bent  but not bent over itself with filler in the slit.

A wrap, or burrito is a single piece of bread with filler inside, bent over itself.

A patty, roll, or Stromboli is a single piece of bread with filler inside bent over itself before being cooked.

If someone makes a cheesesteak with two pieces of bread (savages and degenerates) then it’s a sandwich....if they make it with one piece of bread (gentlemen and scholars) then it’s a sub/hoagie/grinder.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Oops, this one has it as a sandwich.

There's no debate that it is a sandwich. The question was is it it's own kind of sandwich, or classified as a sub (sandwich). 

I'm swayed but still not sure. Link's counter-evidence is strong. What makes one restaurants menu classification valid over the others?

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
39 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

There's no debate that it is a sandwich. The question was is it it's own kind of sandwich, or classified as a sub (sandwich). 

I'm swayed but still not sure. Link's counter-evidence is strong. What makes one restaurants menu classification valid over the others?

if I had time I would create a dichotomous key to show u its a sub species of sub, but I ain't got the time right now, also F*CK the cube rule 😉😘

• Haha 1

The best philly cheese steak I've ever eaten was at a gas station near where I lived back in 98-99.  It was made on a hamburger bun with american cheese.  Those things were awesome.  I don't know why.  My attempts to replicate them have all been failures.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OptOut said:

So you're saying that there are foods that exist without cheese? Weird...

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
11 hours ago, OptOut said:

yes, yes it does!

3 hours ago, KokiriChild said:

1. It is definitely a sub

2. Real Phillies have nacho-style cheez wiz and onions. And maybe some seasoning from a packet on top.

3. They are called grinders

4. I really want a sandwich now.

Onions aren't obligatory, are they? When I had gone down with my uncle, I remember the choices being "wid" or "widout", ie with cheese or no cheese. Of course I got with cheese, no way I'd get onions though.

Just now, fcgamer said:

Onions aren't obligatory, are they? When I had gone down with my uncle, I remember the choices being "wid" or "widout", ie with cheese or no cheese. Of course I got with cheese, no way I'd get onions though.

Maybe, but sweated onions are one of my favorite foods, so I can't imagine it widout 😋

• Haha 1