IGNORED

Help me settle a debate: Is a cheesesteak a sub?

CodysGameRoom

Is a cheesesteak a sub?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is a cheesesteak (famously known as a philly cheesesteak) a sub sandwich?

• Yes
    • No

17 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

A cheeseburger is a type of hamburger.

Both are defined by having a beef patty -- the bread is irrelevant (in some parts of the world you eat a hamburger without a bun and use a fork and knife -- but the patty is more-or-less the same)

Impossible burger.. no beef in that one but it’s still called a burger... just sayin 🤷🏽‍♂️

4 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

No offense, but I feel like we covered that ground a couple years back debating what constituted "chili" 😛😉

Well, I guess that does explain my liberal interpretation of what a sub is. I also can't wait for the day where we tackle the paradox that is the taco pizza.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Haha 1

Just now, phart010 said:

Impossible burger.. no beef in that one but it’s still called a burger... just sayin 🤷🏽‍♂️

But it's not called a "hamburger" 😉😛   

And they can call it whatever they want -- that isn't really the point.

The point is, that a hamburger and a cheeseburger, inherently include a beef patty. (where the bread isn't the defining feature of the sandwich)

Events Helper · Posted
25 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I am having a great time. Is anyone here not? If they aren't they don't have to participate. I'm pretty confused by this callout. Personally I'm greatly enjoying this debate. What is the issue here?

I have stated a few sources earlier. No, they are not scientific publications. But the proof is there on the internet with the lack of existence of any official source calling it a sub. And so far, with one exception of a restaurant menu, I haven't seen that yet. I am asking for definitive proof. Is that so much to ask?

still not as good as the great debate over chili 😉 gloves hated that thread.....

12 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Marketing.

Philly Steaks are a specific subset of sub sandwiches.

If they only sell that type of sandwich (because that was presumably their biggest seller) -- then why create any market confusion by making it sound like they might sell other types of subs?

they are a sub species of submarine sandwiches, this is true!  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Some people refuse to even call it chili, so it could have been either one.

I mean... when you get down to it, you're talking about fancy spaghetti sauce.

Though I have found that a can of "actual" chili topped with shredded cheese and jalapenos does do wonders to reconstitute leftover spaghetti.

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

I mean... when you get down to it, you're talking about fancy spaghetti sauce.

Though I have found that a can of "actual" chili topped with shredded cheese and jalapenos does do wonders to reconstitute leftover spaghetti.

I used to eat that when I was a kid, but it was more like a bowl of regular chili that had spaghetti in it as opposed to a topping.

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

It is a bit of a contest of what regional influence biases the Wikipedia writers, versus whether they accept the broad usage.

I'd trust a quick Google search over this bunch of loons any day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Ok, I won't disagree. However, these changes in nomenclature, as pointed out by the other lad earlier, are usually documented. 

So far, one example on a regional restaurant menu. Certainly no change in lexicon. No edit to the dictionary. etc.

Yeah the one I mentioned earlier wasn't nomenclature at all, as it was a totally different language, culture, and interpretation being discussed.