IGNORED

MiamiSlice's hunting thread

4 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

I have the same question @OptOut. Is it because a misprint would mean some stamper at the factory missed a sheet while an error means the people designing the cover art made an error and the factory printed the cover art correctly? 

This.  

It was an error made when they were pulling the art together and then sent it off to printers.  This wasn't something where at the factory they missed the yellow ink or the pages were offset and miscut and the logo fell off because of that, the image file they used to run this release was missing the logo art entirely on the layout when it went to print.  

This came about because of a revision, so something else changed that triggered the updated packaging, be it a code revision or major manual update.  The NOA secondary barcode is 00001 and it has 77639B designation on all these copies, while the first 'run' has the standard 00000 secondary barcode and is 77639A.

3 minutes ago, PapaStu said:

This came about because of a revision, so something else changed that triggered the updated packaging, be it a code revision or major manual update.  The NOA secondary barcode is 00001 and it has 77639B designation on all these copies, while the first 'run' has the standard 00000 secondary barcode and is 77639A.

I can tell you what the change was. The 00001 copies says "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB" on the bottom left of the front. The 00000 copies are missing this text. 

Which is funny, it seems like they were supposed to have that text, it's a standard disclaimer on ESRB-rated games that include online communication. WHICH makes it seem like the 00001 revision was in response to an error that they made, which then had ANOTHER MORE RIDICULOUS ERROR. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

I can tell you what the change was. The 00001 copies says "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB" on the bottom left of the front. The 00000 copies are missing this text. 

Which is funny, it seems like they were supposed to have that text, it's a standard disclaimer on ESRB-rated games that include online communication. WHICH makes it seem like the 00001 revision was in response to an error that they made, which then had ANOTHER MORE RIDICULOUS ERROR. 

Goofs like this aren’t uncommon, but ones this big always stand out. I had a beast of a time finding a copy for myself when I found out about this one. I don’t think it’s nearly as common as you and others have stated. 

There is one other 3DS game that’s got a big glaring mistake like this (that’s not a spelling mistake like Naruto or Resident Evil) and that’s flown even more under the radar because it’s a game few care about. 

Administrator · Posted
19 minutes ago, PapaStu said:

There is one other 3DS game that’s got a big glaring mistake like this (that’s not a spelling mistake like Naruto or Resident Evil) and that’s flown even more under the radar because it’s a game few care about. 

Alright Then Keep Your Secrets GIF by hero0fwar

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

It's a misprint. It's not from a bundle or anything. It's identical to the standard version, just the title is missing from the front cover. It's not that rare, so I think there was probably a whole batch of copies like this that made it to retail and were sold this way. Someone told me that it's not even an early print, so that's why I think it just happened somewhere along the way when they were still manufacturing this game... but I have no idea how to estimate when these were printed. 

Ah, I thought it was a bundle since I figured an oversight that glaring wouldn't happen. I think it fits pretty well with Art Academy though.

@RH It is a play on Vagrant Story. I got the CE myself and have yet to start it, but it's been reviewed pretty poorly on r/3DS for being way too short.

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, RH said:

I kind of want to buy and try Fragrant Story.  I mean, is it a tongue in cheek joke on Vagrant Story or just a really bad name? I just have to know!!!

It's 100% a tongue in cheek joke on Vagrant Story. It also has a unique gimmick where the box or something (I forget which part of the packaging) has an actual scratch and sniff on it.

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's 100% a tongue in cheek joke on Vagrant Story. It also has a unique gimmick where the box or something (I forget which part of the packaging) has an actual scratch and sniff on it.

They put some kind of scent card/scent on the game. If I’m remembering the note correctly there are like 9 different ones. Mine doesn’t smell great that’s for sure. Kinda like musty or peppery, something like that. 

it’s also reviewed horribly and is incredibly short. Like to the tune of 15 minutes short.  Even on the hardest difficulty it’s capping at 20 minutes based on what I saw folks saying as they were getting their copies in. 

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, PapaStu said:

They put some kind of scent card/scent on the game. If I’m remembering the note correctly there are like 9 different ones. Mine doesn’t smell great that’s for sure. Kinda like musty or peppery, something like that. 

it’s also reviewed horribly and is incredibly short. Like to the tune of 15 minutes short.  Even on the hardest difficulty it’s capping at 20 minutes based on what I saw folks saying as they were getting their copies in. 

It's the race to be "the last 3DS game release". 

10 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's the race to be "the last 3DS game release". 

He/Squire Games ended up dropping  the game like a week before Andro Dunos II started shipping to leave them with that claim. Though I’ve seen rumors that there is one other on cart game (possibly up to 4 others) that could still come up. However, if what Squire Games said is right, his 3 other games got certified but he didn’t make copies, leaving a potential 4th mystery game that coulda gotten cert and gone to press, or that had died on the vine too due to the final timetables being rushed like they were. 

14 hours ago, PapaStu said:

He/Squire Games ended up dropping  the game like a week before Andro Dunos II started shipping to leave them with that claim. Though I’ve seen rumors that there is one other on cart game (possibly up to 4 others) that could still come up. However, if what Squire Games said is right, his 3 other games got certified but he didn’t make copies, leaving a potential 4th mystery game that coulda gotten cert and gone to press, or that had died on the vine too due to the final timetables being rushed like they were. 

He made a Patreon post suggesting there's up to two more games yet to be released. Assuming they didn't die on the vine, I'd guess a company like Limited Run Games has at least one of the two slots.

Anyways, @MiamiSlice is Gardening Mama 2 another one of those 3DS games that spiked in the last few months? I find the amount of rather niche 3DS games that went up interesting.

6 hours ago, greenthunder said:

Anyways, @MiamiSlice is Gardening Mama 2 another one of those 3DS games that spiked in the last few months? I find the amount of rather niche 3DS games that went up interesting.

Yep. Caught me by surprise. Full set collectors are saying it’s uncommon. I think it’s less common than Cooking Mama 5. Don’t see many copies popping up on eBay these days.

8 hours ago, greenthunder said:

He made a Patreon post suggesting there's up to two more games yet to be released. Assuming they didn't die on the vine, I'd guess a company like Limited Run Games has at least one of the two slots.

I’ve talked with Josh about 3DS stuff over the last few years and the hope for more. They’ve got no other 3DS titles done/made. They ran into bumps with Atooi and while they wanted to get more out, knew the hurdles to get stuff done were not going to work in their favor. He had asked publicly should there be any stuff to try and get physical, but it was real late in 2021 and with how it all came to a super fast times up they didn’t have the chance to get anything else through before the window closed. 

As for spiked 3DS games, nearly everything has spiked up since the eShop announcement closing was made and Gardening Mama is no exception.  Titles that were uncommon from go are getting more notice again as people are in panic buying mode right now and making prices spiral up even more. 

• Like 1

So the past few years I've been buying stuff from a local collector that doesn't want to deal with the hassle of selling lots of stuff online or through FB marketplace and doesn't want to get lowballed by local game stores. I met him after he posted a pile of stuff for sale in a local collecting group and I gave him a decent offer for it. Each year he does a purge of his collection and I usually pay about 40-60% of what the stuff would go for online. I don't make a lot of money this way but it's one of the few opportunities I have to get a lot of stuff to sift through at a nice price. And this guy is mostly a thrift / Goodwill / clearance collector, meaning it's a lot of stuff that isn't in the best shape but there can be some really cool items in there. 

Anyway, my past couple big hauls have been from him since he's doing a big purge this year and the next item I just picked up is something he wasn't planning to sell but it was in one of the photos he showed me and I asked about it. I even told him look, if I was you I wouldn't sell it, but if you are open to it I'll buy it. After a couple weeks he has a change of heart and says I can buy it. I paid $150 for this. It's bigger than I thought. I actually thought it was one of the floor shelves things you see at Best Buy but no. Turns out this guy works weekends at Target and this is something he picked up on the job. It even comes with the printout that shows how to stock the thing. My friends, this thing is about 5.5 feet tall. It has wheels. It's heavy. And I love it. 

JnqpqN8.jpg

Loaded into the van, you know it's serious when it takes up two rows. 

mD5ZEYR.jpg

The tower in all its glory. It's symmetrical, so there's another row of shelving on the opposite side. And you can see the reverse artwork in the mirror, the SMW3D World + Bowser's Fury logo. 

EGy4Vqz.jpg

And here's the printout showing how to stock the thing. It's officially a "Rolling Corrugate In-Store POG." How'd I do? 

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

Nice, for both you and the seller...

selling guides is mostly impossible.

You really think so? It's easy for popular franchises. I can sell a Zelda or Final Fantasy guide quickly. It's only the long tail that is impossible to sell. I have a stack of Halo guides no one wants, a Xenosaga II guide that is just sitting there, etc.