IGNORED

MiamiSlice's hunting thread

I never go to Goodwill anymore but I had some old toys and books to donate so I went inside to browse and of course they just had filler Wii and PS4 and Xbox 360 games but then I noticed that stacked nearby was a whole pile of sealed Guitar Hero Live bundles! The Wii U ones were $24.99 each and the PS3 ones were $34.99 each so not a steal but I figured they are worth it. There was also some Xbox 360 bundles for $44.99 each but I didn’t want those.

tSu0j6r.jpg

I also found for $2.99 a Toys R Us exclusive variant of The Smurfs Dance Party. The barcode and disc are different from the standard release. 

rlxWaSX.jpg

zsehFFf.jpg

• Like 3

I mean I love the Smurfs, I'm a big fan of the comics, I have at least 20 French issues that I read many times as a kid and I think they hold up amazingly well when you read them again as an adult. The one that used to crack me up is "The Flying Smurf", when he tries to make the broom fly but he forgets the magic word.

But these 3D crap movies are just awful. I wonder what Peyo would think of them (he died in 1992). 😞

Paid $500 for all this. 

bqeKJfZ.jpg

TtVgEud.jpg

Mostly for the 4 colorful N64 consoles and the Susan G. Komen DS Lite. The second pic is a big box mostly filled with cheap controllers and accessories. 

This lamp is really nice though. The fake NES controller at the base has buttons to turn on/off and change brightness. 

z2GQ0Jy.jpg

• Like 4

Here's some more pics of the $500 pile 'o stuff. The biggest box was just chock full of random controllers: 

lopC9fS.jpg

00UdzVQ.jpg

I plan to keep some of these... really like the Gamester floating steering wheel and the arcade sticks for Genesis and PS2. Will sell all the stuff I don't need. If anyone is interested in anything just holler at me. 

There was also these two drawstring bags. My drip is going to be unparalleled: 

nR4bnIJ.jpg

Here's the N64 consoles. None are mint but if they all work I'll be happy. Will probably keep the ice blue and sell the rest, not in a hurry to sell them though: 

IagTiT6.jpg

The Susan G. Komen pink ribbon DS Lite is missing the cardboard tray and the charger, but those should be easy to replace. 

wWNHpV7.jpg

C1E2721.jpg

The console seems unused, has the stylus and slot-2 protector. Lovely set, I will be keeping it. 

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

That for $500 is impressive, the N64's alone got you covered since they're intact, idiots often somehow why I have no idea lose those memory expansion covers which is nuts.

That invader from space is a solid early handheld you may enjoy.

@MiamiSlice If you do part stuff out, I'm curious what you'd take for the superpad pro n64 controller with the stick/dpad both on the left.  Have you suffered an attempt at the turbo touch yet?  I had one for NES in the day, one time I fell for curiosity over a third party controller, it's strange.

19 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

So you basically bought an added piece of cardboard paper with art wrapped up with another layer of shrink wrap is that about it?  I hope it didn't cost you a lot as i'm sure that does not pop up a lot.

1. It’s a piece of history

2. It cost me about $48

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

Update: ironing the boxes didn’t go very well. Mistakes were made.

Yeah, I always want more tools for this stuff.

I have a bunch or torn and screwed up boxes from my kids toys I want to experiment on.  I think the best approach, if you can do it is to get the cardboard acclimated to a very high humidity environment, press down the ugly creases with a bone folder and then press all sides with heavy weight as the boxes slowly re-acclimate to a good humidity, maybe even freeze drying it.  And when I say pressing it, in my mind I want machined steel that I can insert into the box and then steel blocks I can clamp to the sides AND then put a mix sized steel block on top.

That’s not cheap, so I doubt I’ll ever get to do that.  Plan B might be just as impossible but I’d like to find a solvent that dissolves the glue so I can flatten the whole box, then press it, then reassemble and clue it with proper cardboard glue.  I bet it can be done, but I bet those chemicals are probably conservator grade and only exist in special catalogs and such.  I’ve googled cardboard conservation technical and overwhelmingly all you get is fellow hobbies.  I’ve found some legit sites, but they take it way to technical and provide little to no instruction on practical conservation treatment and techniques.

@MiamiSlice What did you do when you ironed?  Did you happen to spray on the iron a bit too generously or overdid it on the steam to where you bubbled/rippled up the outer (art) layer of the box?  Ironing done right (not getting it too wet) does miracles in improvement with boxes short of fixing the impossible (creases to outright rips.)  Curls, non creased bends, waviness, gravity cave in sinking if stored on its back/front can be cured amazingly well.  But, if you go too much with the spritz of water or overkill on the steam it'll bubble or crinkle crepe the paper.

Edited by Tanooki