IGNORED

MiamiSlice's hunting thread

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@MiamiSlice What did you do when you ironed?  Did you happen to spray on the iron a bit too generously or overdid it on the steam to where you bubbled/rippled up the outer (art) layer of the box?  Ironing done right (not getting it too wet) does miracles in improvement with boxes short of fixing the impossible (creases to outright rips.)  Curls, non creased bends, waviness, gravity cave in sinking if stored on its back/front can be cured amazingly well.  But, if you go too much with the spritz of water or overkill on the steam it'll bubble or crinkle crepe the paper.

Yep, I really screwed up: 

uJFrwFE.jpg

l1JfHaH.jpg

I have this ironing pad that I've used in the past without issue but I guess I finally went over the threshold on the steam or heat or something and well here we are. After this I used a t-shirt instead which is what I should have done from the start =/ 

Worst part is when I moisten it it looks fine but them it dries and it's back like this. Is there some way to treat it so it looks nice again? If not I will live with it of course. 

• Wow! 1

@MiamiSlice That's humidity and heat, it bubbled it up.  I've hit this earlier on when I got to trying to figure out the best balance.  You could have done far worse with lots of bubbles and wrinkles.

I don't think it's fixable, if it is, I'm not aware.

I just use a flat smooth clean surface and a thin white towel or white clean shirt when I do it.  A random couple of steam puffs to get a little going then just smooth firm heat firmly pushed into it in brushing or circling motions.

• Thanks 1

Someone on Reddit reached out to me about this box he found in an old drawer, he saw I had it in my wantlist and asked if I wanted to buy. I offered $500 and he said it was on eBay for auction starting at $865 so he'd get back to me if no one bids. I decided I didn't want to chase that price so I patiently waited a week to see where it would end and it ended without any bids. So I messaged him again asking if he was still open to offers and he showed me a screenshot of someone offering him $650 on eBay. So I offered $700 and he accepted and asked if I would pay for shipping and I said "I thought $700 would include shipping but sure why not? How about $710 to cover priority mail?" And that's the story of how I got this box for $710. Then I found someone on Mercari with the cart and manual asking $200 and I talked him down to $170 so altogether a little less than $900 to put this together. 

I wasn't really wanting to spend that much but I know these opportunities don't come often and I am very sentimental about this game. Feels good to have it back and especially with such a clean box. 

GRAAZpr.jpg

OvZf7hv.jpg

Only question now is, does anyone know what other inserts this is supposed to have? There must have been at least a consumer precautions booklet... 

• Like 4
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Someone on Reddit reached out to me about this box he found in an old drawer, he saw I had it in my wantlist and asked if I wanted to buy. I offered $500 and he said it was on eBay for auction starting at $865 so he'd get back to me if no one bids. I decided I didn't want to chase that price so I patiently waited a week to see where it would end and it ended without any bids. So I messaged him again asking if he was still open to offers and he showed me a screenshot of someone offering him $650 on eBay. So I offered $700 and he accepted and asked if I would pay for shipping and I said "I thought $700 would include shipping but sure why not? How about $710 to cover priority mail?" And that's the story of how I got this box for $710. Then I found someone on Mercari with the cart and manual asking $200 and I talked him down to $170 so altogether a little less than $900 to put this together. 

I wasn't really wanting to spend that much but I know these opportunities don't come often and I am very sentimental about this game. Feels good to have it back and especially with such a clean box. 

GRAAZpr.jpg

OvZf7hv.jpg

Only question now is, does anyone know what other inserts this is supposed to have? There must have been at least a consumer precautions booklet... 

90game_boy__ninja_boy_2_1627131865_582e7082_progressive.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 1 month later...

Some recent hunts!

Found a pile of late run Nintendo Power issues on Mercari for about $66 shipped, this just happened to be in there: 

0oKioP8.jpg

It's a sealed issue 270 with the Pokemon CD. The rest of the issues are not sealed and I will be letting them go and just keeping this. 

Got these two guides for just under $30 shipped, the Ms. Pac Man Maze Madness guide is uncommon and both are in really good shape: 

XqHG5dM.jpg

This was an eBay find for just under $17 shipped, it is sealed: 

GvdZOJX.jpg

And lastly I got three pickups from the same local collector I've been working with for a while. Firstly, the Arcade1Up Final Fight cab (also comes with 1944, Ghosts n Goblins, and Strider) with riser for $250, hooked this up and started playing 1944 and my son got really interested so he joined in and we ended up going through all 15 stages and completing the game in one go: 

FGxh2qK.jpg

I also got this Lego Super Mario store display for $250, it works!

1iaTyI1.jpg

And then I paid $100 for this pile of random stuff, it is mostly empty boxes, some with manuals, and then there's some oddities thrown in. There are no games here! But lots of cool stuff: 

jqnNyEb.jpg

Nintendo Shower Power sealed, Yoshi happy meal toy from 2017 also sealed, Super Mario Duck Tape also sealed, the Super Mario Maker promotional rubik's cube which I almost bought off eBay at one point, a PS2 console box and a zapper original gray box. 

OIHGP7R.jpg

All these boxes, some with manuals... there's a couple here I want to keep and complete with carts... 

oIbyJVL.jpg

More empty boxes... some have trays... the Game Boy one is really dirty but worth restoring 🙂

And for the finishing touch, 

YZ3w4OW.jpg

3 (or technically 4) sealed boxes of Super Mario cereal in an original Super Mario Cereal shipping box. I really don't like collecting food so I will be selling these... 

That's all for now!

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Awesome haul as always! I've always wondered about people who collect food... after a certain amount of time it breaks down. Then what??

Yeah exactly. And I don’t trust most food products to be 100% sealed or to stay 100% sealed. The last thing I need is to have bugs coming into my game room because they could smell my vintage Zelda cereal. And what if it’s something that ferments or explodes? Would be really gross. 

I guess worst case I would put it in a heavy duty Ziploc bag but I’d rather not bother.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have finally acquired my white whale. 

qVjF6Et.jpg

Another collector was aware that I was looking for one, and he actually managed to find a second one via eBay, and offered to do a trade with me. Amazing. 

There's one more title I want to acquire (CIB Kirby's Star Stacker) and then I think I'm good to go, I can retire. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

$40 local pickup: CIB Microvision and multiple games.

rDbzDtl.jpg

Unfortunately the screen on the microvision has bad LCD rot which is typical for these. The contacts also need restoring. I can get it to turn on and hear some sound but nothing playable. I wish I could replace the screen but that’s not going to be easy or cheap. Still a cool find. Might sell it all and let someone else deal with it.

The same seller offered me this for $20:

4MDYOhb.jpg

So far I’ve confirmed that 1 Merlín and the Comp IV both work. The Merlín has one button that doesn’t respond but it doesn’t affect much. Pretty cool stuff. (Btw, that’s 2 Merlin’s, one is boxed and the other is loose.)

Separate find from another day, this was $0.99 at Goodwill, new condition with the stickers intact:

fR2Qlpa.jpg

• Like 2

Found this in a pile of old manuals that I hadn't sorted through yet. Neat little holiday guide from 2016: 

66xEHZo.jpg

Separately, went into GameStop today just to browse and found this in stock, and it was the only one on the rack! I've been looking for this for 4 years, all the ones I've seen online were knockoffs but this is the real deal. Checked the back and it says copyright 2022, maybe they finally decided to reprint these? I recall these were discontinued back in 2018... 

nztlsJV.jpg

If they are printing these again then that's great, these cases are really nice. 

EDIT: I checked the PowerA website and sure enough they have this case and the Mario one in stock again: 

https://www.powera.com/p/nintendo/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-accessories/premium-game-card-case-for-nintendo-switch-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-1503089-02/

https://www.powera.com/p/nintendo/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-accessories/premium-game-card-case-for-nintendo-switch-mario-1502970-02/

Highly recommended! I love these cases. 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 1

A few successful hunts to share! All arrived today in the mail. 

1. Petz Pony Beauty Pageant with stylus! This set me back $15.93 after tax and shipping. Honestly that's a lot for what it is, I'm the only fool that wants these stupid variants. 

QA0u3p1.jpg

2. Dr Franken CIB! For $81.23! The box has a lot of wear but this is complete with the poster and reg card. Seemed like a steal of a price for how hard to find it is. I plan to clean it up a bit and trade or sell it. 

o3SEG2I.jpg

3. $35 for these two! The Pokemon Yellow guide is in great condition with all of the original stickers intact! 

AhgXM08.jpg

n7ftsMd.jpg

That's all for now!

• Like 2

Finally got the letter to go with my Magical Starsign NFR... was really hurting without the letter, now the pain is gone. 

wyVf4yb.jpg

The story here is, you might recall a few months ago I posted I found a Magical Starsign NFR for ~$35 on eBay. Only thing missing was this letter: 

6Q3xZKb.jpg

Well, while browsing eBay recently I realized I hadn't checked my watched listing in quite a while. So I went to look and lo and behold, I had been following some listings for months? Maybe more than a year? Which have the case, manual, and letter, but no carts, for the Children of Mana and Magical Starsign NFRs. And to be honest the prices were not bad, but these listings had been up all this time with no one biting. So I figured maybe the seller would be open to a low offer. Asking price was $79.99 for the Magical Starsign case, manual and letter, and I offered $39.99, and the seller accepted. So in I was able to complete this NFR for about $75 total and I have an extra case and manual that I might let go of. Not too bad I guess. 

• Like 3

I bought Magical Star Sign when it came out! For a first party Nintendo series it doesn't get any love. I think the character designs and music are fantastic in that game. I've never gone back and replayed it, but I remember really liking it. I didn't think it was as good as Golden Sun, but it was still quite good. I remember getting my ass handed to me during the first boss battle with the Space Police, and not minding too much since their battle music was so awesome.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 11:02 AM, MiamiSlice said:

Finally a decent local haul after a long drought. $5 🙂

aGdZHuM.jpg

I had that!!! Me and my brother both had one and they were 100% the best lighting solution to the GBC, especially at night!!!

1 hour ago, portabello said:

My brother had one of those worm lights… I always thought it was so goofy lookin’ but secretly I wanted one!

You missed out dude, they were actually legit, especially in the back of the car on long night trips home!

• Agree 3

Two hunts arrived today!

1. Found this on Mercari for $26.52 out the door. Seemed like something I shouldn't pass up, I think it's an uncommon game. It's not in the best shape, I need to glue the tear on the side and I think the front has some sun damage, but still seemed like a good deal!

WPV8NAZ.jpg

2. A while back I got a Susan G. Komen DS Lite and more recently I got a box to go with my Nintendogs pink DS Lite but neither had the tray that goes inside the box. I've been trying to find a cheap way to get trays for a while and coming up empty, but I finally found an eBay seller with multiple boxes that seemed to have the trays! 

176219217_Screenshot2023-01-26at5_39_16PM.png.1464d19a0d5e63d4391a8c904245a0da.png

Just $12.85 each! I placed an order for 2 and included a message that I really needed the trays, and they came through!

Happy to report that both of these boxes have the trays now 🙂

hf1skwH.jpg

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got the urge to put together a collection of Animal Crossing e-Reader cards. Checked Facebook Marketplace and found a lady selling a bunch in separate listing and it looked like they weren't moving too quick. I reached out and asked if she'd be willing to do a bundle and she said yes. So I paid about $52 with shipping and tax for these cards altogether. Not pictured are a couple duplicates. Not much of a steal but a little better than eBay prices. 

xgMpAFo.jpg

• Like 4