IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Alpha Mission!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Schedule update.
Since Battletoads rules will be so brutal this year, I swapped around P.O.W. and Battletoads in order to force people to put effort on it.
Battletoads will now take place at the end of May.
The rule set for it will posted in Quarth's contest thread to give time to our players to practice and get used to the rule set.

41 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

You can have the Alpha Mission crown, @docile tapeworm. I tried this game for the NES completions thread and it's pretty horrible, imho. I might give it a shot later this week, but I can't promise anything.

i didnt like it at first but after playing it through the first loop and learning the game i grew to enjoy it quite a bit. i really enjoy shooters with gun and bomb.

@BeaIank Can I get some clarity on the loop point?  I haven't ever played this game seriously, but according to Adaml's Game Endings FAQ, in this game there are six initial stages, called Areas 1 through 6, after which you play the same six Areas again, but the game now calls them Areas 7 through 12, then after beating Area 12, you go to "Area 13" but it is really Area 1 again.  Then when you beat Area 13 the next stage is Area 2, and the game names it as such.

So for me personally, beating the game and "looping" it will only count for my personal list after I've beaten Area 13, because that is the last distinctly and uniquely numbered stage in the game.  However, I'm guessing that you count looping the game as beating Area 6, since there are only six unique level maps in the game and Area 7 has the same layout as Area 1 (even though it probably has increased difficulty).  But I could also see beating Area 12 as the loop point since Area 13 is identical to Area 1 and probably has the same difficulty as Area 7.

So the TLDR version: for the purposes of this contest, is the official loop point the start of Area 7, the start of Area 13, or the start of the second Area 2 that comes after Area 13?

Graphics Team · Posted

I don't have the capacity to hate a space-shooter, but I've played nearly every one on the NES and Alpha Mission might be my least favorite. I'm just so frustratingly bad at it.

With that being said, @BeaIank - that participation score requirement might be a bit too lenient if I managed to get it in two tries without even clearing Area 1 haha.

-CasualCart

504620678_CasualCartAlphaMission16490.jpg.211855f05407d193d808119ad438feeb.jpg

• Like 1

😂

9 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I don't have the capacity to hate a space-shooter, but I've played nearly every one on the NES and Alpha Mission might be my least favorite. I'm just so frustratingly bad at it.

With that being said, @BeaIank - that participation score requirement might be a bit too lenient if I managed to get it in two tries without even clearing Area 1 haha.

-CasualCart

504620678_CasualCartAlphaMission16490.jpg.211855f05407d193d808119ad438feeb.jpg

She got tired of people complaining about high participation scores. 😂

• Haha 2

Wow, this is anything but a brainless shooter; you've really gotta stay on your toes.  Anyway, I suck pretty hardcore at this point, so I'm going to need a lot of practice to get better, but here's my inaugural score, having been defeated in Area 2: 34,840.

Getting better, 147,280 - Area 5:

Still can't beat Area 6, but I did get to the Pyramid boss twice: 164,860.

Died on the final boss of Area 12 😞  So close to beating the game 273,100.  I don't know why the game bounced the '2' around in my score, but I've included two pics with the '2' in two different positions:

Alpha 4.JPG

Alpha 4a.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis

13 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Wow, this is anything but a brainless shooter; you've really gotta stay on your toes.  Anyway, I suck pretty hardcore at this point, so I'm going to need a lot of practice to get better, but here's my inaugural score, having been defeated in Area 2: 34,840.

That's 3x my best score so far.  I really suck at shooters XD

10 hours ago, BeaIank said:

You can reset a boss fight by going into the special ships selection screen. Don't use this glitch to fight a boss more than once. If you accidentally reset a boss fight after beating him once, your run is over.

"Don't use this glitch to fight a boss more than once."

Forgive my picky attention to detail, but if I understand this correctly it contains a contradiction:

If you're using the glitch to reset a boss at any point after at least one successful attack you are by definition fighting the boss more than once e.g. 1.01 X - 1.99 X. 

Again, if I have this right its beating the boss more than once that is forbidden, hence:

"Don't use this glitch to fight a boss more than once"   should be:

Don't use this glitch to BEAT a boss more than once (by resetting after an initial beat.)

It's a bit convoluted so just trying to make sure I understand.

alphamissionscore2.jpg.4a923abd549cd461b443a392751fa319.jpg

New personal best 🙂 I'm terrible at it, but I don't mind the game tbh.  Got about half-way through the second level, then boom.  Really gotta watch for the power-down items.  Pretty much avoid everything with a black border...not sure what they all do, but I haven't seen one that was any good.  There's only one backward E, as well as an R (not a negative, but not allowed for the competition either) on level one that I've seen, but there's a ton on level 2.  Don't blow up any ground targets that give power ups unless you have enough time and space to dodge the crap items.

alpha.thumb.jpg.3e0ab8436fff79987768fd690521488d.jpg

Last attempt for the time being...thumbs are starting to cramp up.  I dig this game though!  Never thought I would, but it's a nice mix of simple and complex.  Definitely better than I thought it would be though!

EDIT: Final run for the day.  A slight improvement, but hopefully I'll improve my shooter skills soon enough.

EDIT: Didn't have much time today, but I managed to break my high score as well as my longevity streak, making it to level 3.  After taking the picture I played out the game and made it to the third boss.  Progress is being made at least.

EDIT: Was stagnating for a while, but after watching Dr. Morbis yesterday, I managed to pump my score up a bit...and by a bit I mean almost double.  Got past the 3rd boss with no issues, but level 4 is tough!

Edited by the_wizard_666