Poll: Abbreviate PlayStation  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Abbreviate Playstation

• PS
    • PS1
    • PSX
    • PSOne... because I am wrong

• The title was changed to Poll: Abbreviate PlayStation

It’s PSX.  It was PSX during its life cycle and there is no reason it wouldn’t still be PSX.  
PS1 doesn’t make any sense.  It’s not called the PlayStation 1.  Well except that one time it was but that was One not 1.  
PS also I guess could be acceptable but it denies the system it’s rightful 90s extremeness that only the X can provide.  

PSX is the correct choice.

PSX>PS>PSOne>PS1

err uh actually I use PS1 as my secondary to PSX when I’m not somewhere like this because I prefer not to stir up the inevitable “buh thas a Japanese console” guy.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

It’s PSX.  It was PSX during its life cycle and there is no reason it wouldn’t still be PSX.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(digital_video_recorder)

PSX was a separate and distinct device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_(console) -- "PSX" was its code name prior to release, not the during-life-cycle abbreviation for the Playstation.

Personally, I voted "PS1" because it is the only completely unambiguous acronym for it, despite being a bit of a "backronym".

Edited by arch_8ngel

Homebrew Team · Posted

That " PSOne....because I am wrong" is very tempting.  I too disliked including a 1, as the system never had a one in the title.  Although at times I feel if you don't specify, and just say PS, will people default to the current gen for the interpretation?  Historically I leaned to PSX, but in recent times I begrudgingly type PS1, probably to avoid that guy  chiming in with, well actually PSX is a Japan only PS2 media...blah..blah..blah.  

You know what...screw you guys, bring back PSX!  

While I do remember it being called "PSX", I don't remember it officially being called "PlayStation Xtreme" or whatever. So I called it "PlayStation" or "PS" in the 90's, then "PS1" when PS2 came out and have been calling it "PS1" since. I never really cared for "PSOne."

Edited by MegaMan52

Team PSX.  That's what it's always been for me, going waaaaay back and when all I could do was drool over screenshots in magazines.

Isn't PSone (or it should be PS one) the official name of the OG PS Mini/Skinny/Flat/whatever you want to call it.  I'm fine with calling that a PS one, because it is what it legit is.

sony-playstation-one-ps1-psone-box.jpg

It doesn't matter that it didn't have a 1 in the name originally.  Nearly all movies and games that have sequels refer to the original as 1 even though the originals rarely, if ever, use a 1 in the name.  Considering the PSX is another console entirely, it makes no sense to use that name.  If you don't want to use the 1, just abbreviate it PS.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RH said:

Team PSX.  That's what it's always been for me, going waaaaay back and when all I could do was drool over screenshots in magazines.

I think my friends and I had moved on to PCGamer magazine around that time, so I missed most of the magazine hype for the original PlayStation.  Didn't buy one for myself until 1999, I think, once I was able to get Metal Gear Solid in the bargain bin and a greatest hits copy of FF7.  (though I did have a friend in that time period that was a major distributor of mod chips, prior to DCMCA shutting him down -- dude was constantly carrying around handfuls of money orders, and had 3 or 4 of us doing "piece work" for him soldering wires onto chips that he was selling -- probably paid for his college years completely 😛)

Edited by arch_8ngel

22 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(digital_video_recorder)

PSX was a separate and distinct device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_(console) -- "PSX" was its code name prior to release, not the during-life-cycle abbreviation for the Playstation.

Personally, I voted "PS1" because it is the only completely unambiguous acronym for it, despite being a bit of a "backronym".

30 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

err uh actually I use PS1 as my secondary to PSX when I’m not somewhere like this because I prefer not to stir up the inevitable “buh thas a Japanese console” guy.

PS doesn't make sense because you can't arbitrarily choose which letters to include in your abbreviation. You should only take the first letter of each word, in this case P. Why do you add the S? If you're going with a letter per syllable, then it should be the PST but PS doesn't make any sense.

PS1 is weird because it was never called the PlayStation 1, just like there's no Mega Man 1, Dragon Warrior 1 nor Ducktales 1. It was just called the PlayStation and should be abbreviated as such.

PSX just tells me you don't know anything about video games. The PlayStation PSX is a completely separate console that was released in Japan and has its own library of exclusive games. Whenever I see someone list PSX games for sale, I get really excited until I realize they don't know what they're talking about. Yes, PSX was the code name for the PlayStation during development but you don't hear anyone referring to their Switch as the NNX.

PSOne is the full name for a late console release, it's not an abbreviation by definition.

Addendum A: You're confusing an abbreviation with an acronym, they're not the same thing. If you're truly abbreviating the name, you would take a random quantity of the beginning letter like this, "Playst." That's an abbreviation. If you're taking the first letter of the word, it's an acronym.

Addendum B: The correct answer is simply "P" because it's the first letter of the word and satisfies the requirements of an acronym, what you're seem to be trying to achieve.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

I've never once heard anyone call it the P.

We could get technical about this or that, but at the end of the day, most people understand what someone means when they say PS or PS1, and yes, even if it's not my personal choice, PSX also.

This has been a "debate" I've seen for years and years, and there is no chance of everyone 'agreeing' that one is right.  If someone wants to call it a PSX, ok, I understand what they mean.  I'm not going to throw a hissy fit.

Since the question was asked though, I just state my preference of PS or PS1.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

I think my friends and I had moved on to PCGamer magazine around that time, so I missed most of the magazine hype for the original PlayStation.  Didn't buy one for myself until 1999, I think, once I was able to get Metal Gear Solid in the bargain bin and a greatest hits copy of FF7.  (though I did have a friend in that time period that was a major distributor of mod chips, prior to DCMCA shutting him down -- dude was constantly carrying around handfuls of money orders, and had 3 or 4 of us doing "piece work" for him soldering wires onto chips that he was selling)

Nice, I still have all of my PC Gamers from 1997-2000.  Love the ones that are like 500 pages thick.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Addendum A: You're confusing an abbreviation with an acronym, they're not the same thing. If you're truly abbreviating the name, you would take a random quantity of the beginning letter like this, "Playst." That's an abbreviation. If you're taking the first letter of the word, it's an acronym.

If you want to get pedantic, it's not an acronym either, it's an initialism. Acronyms are when you pronounce the letters as a word (e.g. NATO or NASA). Initialisms are when you pronounce the letters individually (e.g. FBI or PSX).

Also I could be wrong, but I think acronyms and initialisms are both types of abbreviations.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Everybody that talked about PlayStation back in the day pre-PS2 called it PSX (not when speaking, but when typing).

Whether it’s correct or not isn’t really relevant, if something gets mainstream adoption then it sticks. 

The PS2 PSX isn’t really relevant either because it plays PS2 games, so if someone says they have PSX games, that should be a clue that they are not talking about PS2 games since PS2 games say PlayStation 2 right on the disc. Not only that, but so few people actually know about the Japan exclusive device, while there are tons of people that refer to the original PlayStation as PSX

• Like 4

Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

Nice, I still have all of my PC Gamers from 1997-2000.  Love the ones that are like 500 pages thick.

I'm just wondering what their financial model was, in terms of how much ad revenue they must have had -- I remember my friend having MOUNTAINS of floppy discs for some of the shareware demos.  Couldn't believe they'd stuff 4+ floppies in a shrink-wrap sleeve with the magazine.

Administrator · Posted

From a practical standpoint, the one that is super clear, contextually speaking, is PS1.  If someone says "I have some PS1 games for sale" you know exactly what they are talking about.  There is no confusion, no misunderstanding, and almost no way to interpret it functionally as something other than what it is.

I don't think I could say that about the other terms with quite as much certainty, broadly speaking.  But, personally, I'll know what someone means when they call it PS or PSX.  

Again, it's not something I would pick a fight about or harass someone over, and people just have different opinions about what they "like" using, so whatever, no worries.

Administrator · Posted

I mean, as someone whose primary collection focus right now is PS2 Japan, I see the PSX system for sale all the time, and lately that is what I think of when I see or hear "PSX."  

Having said that, obviously I know what MOST people are talking about when they say PSX.  And no, I usually don't "correct" people about it.

Either way, I think PS1 is probably the least confusing of all the terms.