Poll: Abbreviate PlayStation  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Abbreviate Playstation

• PS
    • PS1
    • PSX
    • PSOne... because I am wrong

4 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Uh huh.  No doubt talking about all those sweet PSX games at Codemonkeys house.

In the past two weeks, I've had the PSX come up in conversation on three separate, unrelated occasions, and none of those times were we discussing PS1 abbreviations.  For some reason, in the local Facebook groups around here, it's a popular item.  

I mentioned in a separate thread the other day that I no longer try to correct people when they use it wrong, as it's simply not worth my time, and I've made peace with the fact that people either don't know or don't care.  But I will never use it that way myself.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Addendum B: The correct answer is simply "P" because it's the first letter of the word and satisfies the requirements of an acronym, what you're seem to be trying to achieve.

I'm gonna start collecting games for 'P' - said no one ever

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

See...here's the problem...

Sony decided to call their series of home consoles by a consistent label and simply number them generationally. Honestly, that's great. It's nice and simple. Logical. Sequential. Easy to remember.

Unfortunately, it also means that when you use the full name "Playstation", now you are forced to clarify "which one"? There are 5 of them, afterall.

So, for the sequel consoles, that's easy. You can just tack a number onto the end. Instant clarity. But the original console didn't have a number. You can't still just say "Playstation" or "PS" because you still haven't moved an inch closer to clarity. So, what kind of a label/abbreviation is both simple to use, clarifying and consistent with Sony's naming-convention?

Yep. You gotta do it. You gotta slap a non-existent "1" on the end of it. It may not have been called "Playstation 1" originally but it was the first and its successor was called the "Playstation 2", implying itself as part of a numerical sequence. You can't have a "2" without a conceptual "1".

So, the correct answer you're looking for, when needed for clarity, is: "PS1"

This is my hill. I shall die upon it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JamesRobot said:

I was more into Sony's portable.  I played with my PP almost every day since '05.  At least until I got into the V.  

The other day, my wife asked me if I knew how to use a hoe. I told her that I had plenty of experience handling hoes and that, in that time, I've come to appreciate the many varied qualities and applications of proper treatment of them. 😉

• Haha 1

PSX was the retail code and what gaming mags called it back in the day. Nobody called it PS1, since who knew there would be a PS2!

Anyone who thinks you are referring to an obscure Japan only device is just trying to conflate maters.

• Like 2

Homebrew Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Let's just be happy that Sony didn't call their THIRD console the PlayStation One like another company who sale remain nameless....🙄

Just wait until the Sony comes out with a future PlayStation down the line and decides to call it PlayStation X.  Will it be the 10th release or not?

8 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Just wait until the Sony comes out with a future PlayStation down the line and decides to call it PlayStation X.  Will it be the 10th release or not?

They don’t use Roman numerals.

It would be funny if some bought a PSV thinking they were getting a PS5 and ended up with a Vita 😛

• Haha 1

PSOne...because I am RIGHT.   😄

I have the slim PS...the one that can attach to the little LCD screen (have one of those too).  Ever since getting a PSOne, I now wait until Sony puts out a Slim version of their console iterations...I am not going to break the tradition now.  I guess I won't be getting a PS5 for...at least two more years???

Edited by Sumer

On 4/13/2021 at 6:43 PM, Deadeye said:

Not in the past, doesn't mean they won't.  Apple decided to use X for Mac OS and iPhone for whatever reason.

Indeed...it was always Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, and then...all of a sudden...Mac OS X!

Very quietly last year, we officially went to Mac OS 11...but Apple didn't really hype it.  They just call it macOS now (with "Mac" in lower case).