Poll: Abbreviate PlayStation  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Abbreviate Playstation

• PS
    • PS1
    • PSX
    • PSOne... because I am wrong

On 4/13/2021 at 5:25 PM, Deadeye said:

Just wait until the Sony comes out with a future PlayStation down the line and decides to call it PlayStation X.  Will it be the 10th release or not?

PS: I can't believe this isn't a meme yet...you know the whole "I can't think that far ahead" thing?

Social Team · Posted

I'm in the PS1 camp because if talk about the console I will identify it as "Playstation one" or "PS1".  Otherwise people assume you are playing with the latest version of the console.  This is specifically true for Playstation and Xbox because we are lazy people who don't want to say extra words.  Nintendo on the other hand is more syllables so it's lazier to say GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch.  

By these two reasons PS1 came to be.  Hell you guys talk about games not including the "1" but I know many Kingdom Hearts fans will do the whole KH1, KH2, KH3.  Hell, type in Die Hard 1 into Google.  You guys are in denial if you think the first of the series never gets a "1" thrown behind it.  It's a common/acceptable practice for all series that contain the same name and a number afterwards.  

Here's a better example that I bet all of you do.  If you name the original and sequel together do you say "Playstation and Playstation 2" or do you say "Playstation 1 and 2".  This happens all the time with movies.  Amazon: Gremlins 1+2 - Die Collection  Note that they list the movies as they were released, Gremlins & Gremlins 2, but the freaking abbreviation in the title is "Gremlins 1+2", NOT "Gremlins +2"

Those of you who claim to never say PS1 are fulling yourselves and don't realize how we do this all the time when we list/groups things.  Therefore its completely acceptable to use PS1.  So for those of you who refuse to accept PS1 as common and acceptable abbreviation....

Spoiler

You Crazy GIF by memecandy

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I'm in the PS1 camp because if talk about the console I will identify it as "Playstation one" or "PS1".  Otherwise people assume you are playing with the latest version of the console.  This is specifically true for Playstation and Xbox because we are lazy people who don't want to say extra words.  Nintendo on the other hand is more syllables so it's lazier to say GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch.  

By these two reasons PS1 came to be.  Hell you guys talk about games not including the "1" but I know many Kingdom Hearts fans will do the whole KH1, KH2, KH3.  Hell, type in Die Hard 1 into Google.  You guys are in denial if you think the first of the series never gets a "1" thrown behind it.  It's a common/acceptable practice for all series that contain the same name and a number afterwards.  

Here's a better example that I bet all of you do.  If you name the original and sequel together do you say "Playstation and Playstation 2" or do you say "Playstation 1 and 2".  This happens all the time with movies.  Amazon: Gremlins 1+2 - Die Collection  Note that they list the movies as they were released, Gremlins & Gremlins 2, but the freaking abbreviation in the title is "Gremlins 1+2", NOT "Gremlins +2"

Those of you who claim to never say PS1 are fulling yourselves and don't realize how we do this all the time when we list/groups things.  Therefore its completely acceptable to use PS1.  So for those of you who refuse to accept PS1 as common and acceptable abbreviation....

Reveal hidden contents

You Crazy GIF by memecandy

It’s not just about whether or not adding the 1 is ok. It’s also about the validity of calling it PSX

Social Team · Posted
2 hours ago, phart010 said:

It’s not just about whether or not adding the 1 is ok. It’s also about the validity of calling it PSX

It took me awhile to figure out the whole PSX means PS1.  I've just accepted that there are odd people that use that abbreviation.  I never really knew where it game from but accepted it as I saw it enough times to know what it meant.  PSX means PS1, PS1 means Playstation 1.

ace attorney power GIF by Funimation

Also notice that VGS don't explain what PSX means but does for PS1.  

57 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

It took me awhile to figure out the whole PSX means PS1.  I've just accepted that there are odd people that use that abbreviation.  I never really knew where it game from but accepted it as I saw it enough times to know what it meant.

Most people who were playing video games back then saw it referred to as the PSX somewhere. In that way, using that abbreviation is like a badge of honor. It proves that you were there, fought in and survived the great 32-bit console wars of the late '90s.

"PSX" deniers, therefore, expose themselves as phonies, like the people who say "SNES" out loud as a word and those who insist that Super Mario Bros. 2 is actually something called Doki Doki Panic.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

IGN, Gamesages and Gamefaqs all called it PSX back in the 90’s. The emulation sites and Rom sites then also called it PSX. I don’t know why people are acting like it is so farfetched that there are some people that  still call it what everyone was already originally calling it.

PS1 was called PSX before the PS2 DVR was called PSX, so it’s grandfathered in.

85FD7826-F52D-4587-AAEB-189500A2262A.thumb.jpeg.cca4e9f48f062afc50c403ea4cd87ef3.jpeg

Edited by phart010
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Administrator · Posted
56 minutes ago, phart010 said:

IGN, Gamesages and Gamefaqs all called it PSX back in the 90’s. The emulation sites and Rom sites then also called it PSX. I don’t know why people are acting like it is so farfetched that there are some people that  still call it what everyone was already originally calling it.

PS1 was called PSX before the PS2 DVR was called PSX, so it’s grandfathered in.

85FD7826-F52D-4587-AAEB-189500A2262A.thumb.jpeg.cca4e9f48f062afc50c403ea4cd87ef3.jpeg

I only pointed out the ps2 psx cuz it gets people riled up every time lol. I'm am well aware of the history of the term, I've always been a bit of a Playstation fanboy. 

I used psx back in the day, but ps1 is probably my prefered internet acronym. As others have said now when I think psx I think of the dvr ps2, and psone I think of the slim. Ps is too simplified for me, if we were having a real conversation with voice I would start with calling it playstation 1 and switch over to just playstation because adding the 1 once it's understood is redundant. 

• Like 1

Even the first post there said the truth. When it came out. When it was for sale prior to the PSone with optionally boxed lcd add on it was the PSX. That didn’t change for a good while. I still call it what Sony did. Only since they kept reusing the name and because I do have the combo it’s now the psone. 

48 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I think I’m gonna try P for awhile.  Really kind of get it out there and see how I like it.

Hey, you do you man. Don't let other people tell you what to enjoy. I hear there are whole niche communities of people out there who are way into P.

3 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Hey, you do you man. Don't let other people tell you what to enjoy. I hear there are whole niche communities of people out there who are way into P.

They love P in Europe.  
I’d kind of like to unload my P sports games but it seems more trouble than it’s worth.

PS is fine overall but more today refers to the brand as a whole.

PSX is fine, even though some people get up in arms for no reason about it. You may occasionally confuse people who are thinking of the DVR, but that is pretty unlikely as that is rarely discussed.

PS1 is ok too, even if it falls under my unavoidable pet peeve of retroactively renaming things in light of successors (i.e. Super Mario Bros. is now forever "SMB1")

PSone is fine, but I would only use it to refer specifically to the re-designed PS1 they released in 2000.

They all have their place, really. I have more of a beef with people who use SNES as an acronym instead of as an initialism.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
On 4/13/2021 at 2:45 PM, JamesRobot said:

It's PS.  The logo is literally a P and an S.

1dbcd4827c3d46942c5abf4d1d328745--play-s

I'm a fucking idiot.

For my entire life, I've always just looked at this as some weird, abstract logo that Sony chose for the console. I liked it, but...

I never once realized it was a P and an S.

God I'm stupid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5