Poll: Abbreviate PlayStation  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Abbreviate Playstation

• PS
    • PS1
    • PSX
    • PSOne... because I am wrong

More serious answer:

I’ve always used “PSX” when in the past,  because that was the formal abbreviation when it first came out. Then sometime ago, not knowing when, I started using “PS1” as the default abbreviation. I think the main reason is that the newer generation of gamers/collectors all refer to it as “PS1”, so I sort of went with it due to conformity. It’s also the most practical abbreviation because everyone would then know what you’re talking about without second guessing.

On 4/13/2021 at 2:34 PM, arch_8ngel said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(digital_video_recorder)

PSX was a separate and distinct device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_(console) -- "PSX" was its code name prior to release, not the during-life-cycle abbreviation for the Playstation.

Personally, I voted "PS1" because it is the only completely unambiguous acronym for it, despite being a bit of a "backronym".

As point out "PSX" abbreviation was also used in earlier marketing. I also personally seem to recall it was the abbreviation used for a while in references in magazines.

Speaking of, there was also the PSX Magazine https://www.retromags.com/publications/united-states/psx/

Look this isn't hard, the name got dropped when they decided to just keep it consistent and beat the Playstation # name into the ground.  X, 2, 3, etc didn't make sense, so it became a 1.  But when it was alive, even a bit into the PS2 era too, on magazine, their paper, whatever, it was PSX.  Why people want to get crappy about it now, ghost their own memories, act like it didn't happen, and people who say it did are like weird for it...it was real, it did happen, you've got the problem. 😄

• Like 2

I used to call it PSX, took a break for PS1, and now use PSX again.  It got a little confusing for a while when I found out there was an actual Playstation 1 called the PSX in Japan, but nobody really knows about that thing.  I'll probably change my mind again tomorrow.

It's a vote for PS from me. I always thought it was known as the PSX in Japan, but I didn't think that moniker was ever officially adopted in the United States. And adding the 1 is simply unnecessary, even if PS by itself does seem too short. DS, GC, and DC all work fine, but something about PS does look admittedly awkward. Regardless, it remains my preference.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

It's a vote for PS from me. I always thought it was known as the PSX in Japan, but I didn't think that moniker was ever officially adopted in the United States. And adding the 1 is simply unnecessary, even if PS by itself does seem too short. DS, GC, and DC all work fine, but something about PS does look admittedly awkward. Regardless, it remains my preference.

I think the reason DS, GC and DS work fine whereas PS looks a little weird is because there isn't a DC2, GC2 or DS2, whereas there is a PS2, PS3, PS4, etc.

• Like 1