IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy Cartridge Variants

RH

10 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

Found a new one for you to get. 

its Radar Mission.

version X  has the link logo wrong.                                      version A  has the link logo corrected.
DMG-RM-USA.thumb.jpg.59bb18ed15e363c6be50fcf9dda69225.jpg                                 DMG-RM-USA-A.jpg.e80e46931da940448f1c6d6525d27787.jpg

Nice find. Look like this one will be an easy one to pick up. A short sampling looks like there is a decent amount of each example for sale.

Up to 127

Edited by samsamsamsmasmasma

13 minutes ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Nice find. Look like this one will be an easy one to pick up. A short sampling looks like there is a decent amount of each example for sale.

Up to 127

I think the box's will be the hard to find.  all the examples i see on ebay are poor photo qty to verify what is has. 

mine also has a board change from a bean-01 9011 to bean-2 9104  span 5 months

Edited by JVOSS

32 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

I think the box's will be the hard to find.  all the examples i see on ebay are poor photo qty to verify what is has. 

mine also has a board change from a bean-01 9011 to bean-2 9104  span 5 months

Box will be easyish to find. There are 3 boxes for Radar Mission all say Game Link Game Pak. The first 2 boxes (TM and R) came with the error/misprint cart. The 3rd -1 box came with the corrected cart. The 2nd Box is the hardest to find. I think it was only printed once and corrected 3 months later.

image.jpg

image.jpg

10 minutes ago, RpgCollector said:

Box will be easyish to find. There are 3 boxes for Radar Mission all say Game Link Game Pak. The first 2 boxes (TM and R) came with the error/misprint cart. The 3rd -1 box came with the corrected cart. The 2nd Box is the hardest to find. I think it was only printed once and corrected 3 months later.

image.jpg

image.jpg

SO the one was a known???

2 hours ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Not to me or posted by anyone in this group. Only to ya boy rpg keeping secrets again. I knew they had more =p

i think we talked about this one back in NA but don't know how to do a lookback to see.   any how.  who has the snoopy DMG-SN-USA corrected version...

1 hour ago, creepsthething said:

9826? Is it using one of those mythical "DMG-AAA-10" PCBs that were typically only used with prints of Dr. Mario and Tennis since 1997?

The AAA-10 are also in the follow.

Alleyway     (United Kingdom)
Daedalian Opus (Sunsoft Label) (United States    DMG-PU-USA-1)
Dr. Mario     (Australia)
Dr. Mario (Player's Choice, Rated E Label)     (United States    DMG-VU-USA-2)
Dr. Mario (Player's Choice, Rated KA Label)     (United States    DMG-VU-USA-1)
Pop Up     (Nintendo of Europe)
Tennis (Player's Choice)     (United States    DMG-TN-USA-1)
Yakuman     (Japan)

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Some more "unlicensed" variants coming out. Anyone gonna pick them up? They will go well with the two star wars games released a little while back. Anyone one know of any other gameboy games that fit in this gray area?

SpankyQuest_1080x.png

AmazingPenguinGB_1080x.png

Of all the games they have to choose penguins and monkeys.  Lets be original and say a potato or even a tomato or better yet lets do a pole.  i like tank and toxie is a cool thing and john is cool with tennis as long as he has a can of 7UP.    

Edited by JVOSS

Editorials Team · Posted
On 3/27/2021 at 6:48 PM, JVOSS said:

Of all the games they have to choose penguins and monkeys.  Lets be original and say a potato or even a tomato or better yet lets do a pole.  i like tank and toxie is a cool thing and john is cool with tennis as long as he has a can of 7UP.    

Are you secretly telling us about more variants? If F1 Pole Position and Toxic Crusader have variants, I'm going to flip out.

Just now, Splain said:

Are you secretly telling us about more variants? If F1 Pole Position and Toxic Crusader have variants, I'm going to flip out.

lol not unless Limited run dose one.  i hold my breath the day someone says that Toxic or say A potato has a real variant. not enough have been on the market to get a real since. 

I do see that the 97-99 are where 60% of the variants are coming out of. 

I officially "give up" on trying to "catch 'em all".  I'm not selling off my variants, unless someone gives me a ridiculous offer on some of the rarer ones, or any of them for that matter, but this is getting to crazy and, honestly, I can put these $$$s to greater use within this hobby.  I still have quite a lot of games I'd like to collect that I don't have a single copy of.  Variants are pointless as far as play is concerned.

I'm still going to pop in, and I don't mind updating photos or the OP, but as far as actively collecting these and searching, I'm slowing down a LOT.

Take care guys, and best of luck. Now, onto the Game Gear collection.

12 minutes ago, RH said:

I officially "give up" on trying to "catch 'em all".  I'm not selling off my variants, unless someone gives me a ridiculous offer on some of the rarer ones, or any of them for that matter, but this is getting to crazy and, honestly, I can put these $$$s to greater use within this hobby.  I still have quite a lot of games I'd like to collect that I don't have a single copy of.  Variants are pointless as far as play is concerned.

I'm still going to pop in, and I don't mind updating photos or the OP, but as far as actively collecting these and searching, I'm slowing down a LOT.

Take care guys, and best of luck. Now, onto the Game Gear collection.

"This is too hard, I'm going to collect something easier like Game Gear instead" said one person for the first time in human history ever.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, DefaultGen said:

"This is too hard, I'm going to collect something easier like Game Gear instead" said one person for the first time in human history ever.

Lol, it's not about hard.  It's about worth.  I own all of these games.  I can play them when I want.  Hunting obscure stuff is fun, but when I like to 100% and some of these items are fetching over $100, I have to ask.  Do I want to own a second copy of a game, or do I want to collect for the Game Gear, which was extremely important to me as a kid.  That's going to be my new focus, but there are also a ton of other games for just about every system out there I want.  I'm just not organized about it.

Throw your shade at me for "giving up", but it's not because it's hard but because at the moment it's not a top priority compared to the many other titles I don't own but are on my want list.  I'm happy and have no shame with myself. 😉

2 minutes ago, RH said:

Lol, it's not about hard.  It's about worth.  I own all of these games.  I can play them when I want.  Hunting obscure stuff is fun, but when I like to 100% and some of these items are fetching over $100, I have to ask.  Do I want to own a second copy of a game, or do I want to collect for the Game Gear, which was extremely important to me as a kid.  That's going to be my new focus, but there are also a ton of other games for just about every system out there I want.  I'm just not organized about it.

Throw your shade at me for "giving up", but it's not because it's hard but because at the moment it's not a top priority compared to the many other titles I don't own but are on my want list.  I'm happy and have no shame with myself. 😉

Ha, it's not shade for giving up, it's that Game Gear is the greener pasture when I typically think of it as one of the more difficult platforms to collect. Also it's probably a little that Game Gear ruined my childhood because I had a GG and not a GB 😞

Edited by DefaultGen

4 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Ha, it's not shade for giving up, it's that Game Gear is the greener pasture. Also it's probably a little that Game Gear ruined my childhood because I had a GG and not a GB 😞

Oh, that is sad.  I had a Game Boy and a Game Gear.  I LOVED my Game Boy but as a kid I thought the Game Gear seemed so high-tech with the color screen and the TV adapter.  Blew my mind.  My grand parents got each grand kid a Game Boy back in 89 but I had to work hard to get the Game Gear and paid for it with my own money.  I think in the end, I had 16 games for it and most were the common/expected ones but I loved them all.  I think it's specifically because it was the first system I owned where I bought most of the games and hardware myself, rather than it being gifted.

The GB line up is waaaaay better, than the GG, for sure.  I'll not concede that. But, at this point I can play every single GB game on any piece of original hardware.  I can't say that for the GG and that was another system I loved.  I've also considered doing a full set for the N64.  Lucky me, that's an "easy one" too, but that's probably the next most impactful system from my childhood, tied with the PS1 and... well you can call me a wuss for not wanting to collect all of those games.  I don't even have the space for that, much less the benjamins.

Edited by RH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nothing new to to report, but I figured I'd give a minor update on my personal journey.

Ok so, I can't give up variant hunting, however, I've decided that my current collection is going to focus on notable, revision increasing changes.  In other words, I'm going to primarily look for the variants that bumped from "DMG-xxx-USA" to "DMG-xxx-USA-1".  Oddities, very-minor errors link cable logo changes are just going to be avoided.  For now.  I think I only need about 25 more variants to complete that known set, and only a handful seem to be really rare.

I finally got a Penguin Wars.  It's an ugly one, so I'm going to keep looking for a better condition one.  It really is odd.  Some of these, I quickly found when I started searching, but I didn't buy them because the condition was horrible.  Now a couple of years later, those lone examples are gone off of eBay and I've not seen new copies since then.  Penguin Wars was one of those games, so I have no clue if I'll see another one any time soon.

EDIT

Ok, so there is another Rev-1 for Penguin Wars on eBay right now, but the label is pretty warn.  I think I've been ignoring that one for a long time.  If someone is looking for that game, they don't come up often.  This isn't really a high demand game, but once that one is gone, who knows when another copy will show up.

Edited by RH

40 minutes ago, RH said:

Nothing new to to report, but I figured I'd give a minor update on my personal journey.

Ok so, I can't give up variant hunting, however, I've decided that my current collection is going to focus on notable, revision increasing changes.  In other words, I'm going to primarily look for the variants that bumped from "DMG-xxx-USA" to "DMG-xxx-USA-1".  Oddities, very-minor errors link cable logo changes are just going to be avoided.  For now.  I think I only need about 25 more variants to complete that known set, and only a handful seem to be really rare.

I finally got a Penguin Wars.  It's an ugly one, so I'm going to keep looking for a better condition one.  It really is odd.  Some of these, I quickly found when I started searching, but I didn't buy them because the condition was horrible.  Now a couple of years later, those lone examples are gone off of eBay and I've not seen new copies since then.  Penguin Wars was one of those games, so I have no clue if I'll see another one any time soon.

EDIT

Ok, so there is another Rev-1 for Penguin Wars on eBay right now, but the label is pretty warn.  I think I've been ignoring that one for a long time.  If someone is looking for that game, they don't come up often.  This isn't really a high demand game, but once that one is gone, who knows when another copy will show up.

@RHwhen the book comes out the total count for us will be somewhat official at 614 with the basic version, -1, -2 and -3. 

if you include things like the Link logo and the ROM update that count goes to something like 676.

now i have to work on getting the SML-2 from you and i will be down to 2.

2 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@RHwhen the book comes out the total count for us will be somewhat official at 614 with the basic version, -1, -2 and -3. 

if you include things like the Link logo and the ROM update that count goes to something like 676.

now i have to work on getting the SML-2 from you and i will be down to 2.

Lol.  I could be persuaded but people are throwing out "stupid money" for are Mario stuff and that's where I am with that copy.  I'm not trying to convince you to throw out a price, but it's have to be something in the range of, "do I want to keep this game, or pay for the first year of tuition for my kids college education?" range.  Well, I might go a little cheaper than that.  College is expensive.  But close.

😄

• Sad 1