IGNORED

Anyone ever run into a seller who instantly bans you on eBay?

So this isn't a complaining topic, more of a this is hilarious topic. I put in an offer on this and the seller blocked my ability to ever buy from them again, I then had my fiancée try at a higher price and she too was instantly banned, we got a kick out of it so I felt i'd share, I just bought it from someone else. No contact was made, the perma ban offer was 32 dollars lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taz-Mania-Sega-Game-Gear-Manual-and-Box/224043850253?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055359.m2763.l2649

Maybe you could be banned too, anyone else ever have something like that happen? Kind of made my night but it was a slow day.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Confused 1

I’ve seen this type of seller attitude springing up more lately. They expect you to more or less buy it outright, and the “offer” option is just there for show. Any offers you give will likely receive “declined” response, or worse, given seller attitude like you’re a lowball scum. When truth is, they’re likely to be seller assholes!

• Like 2

News to me, I honestly usually start around 50% of what anyone is asking if they throw that there in hope they'll meet in the middle at 25(20%?) off.  Any better a little persistence or waiting a few days/weeks will net that price anyway from someone less pie in the sky priced.

You're right, it is funny, the more they do it the harder it will be to sell as they'll get rid of more and more buyers if they're that persistent about being wrong and sticking to it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GPX said:

I’ve seen this type of seller attitude springing up more lately. They expect you to more or less buy it outright, and the “offer” option is just there for show. Any offers you give will likely receive “declined” response, or worse, given seller attitude like you’re a lowball scum. When truth is, they’re likely to be seller assholes!

Never been insta banned but I have had the above happen. It's really annoying to see the offer link and have everything even up to $1 off the BIN price get declined. I've said it before PC/GVN used to be the price you paid or less now it's where you start and go up. It's almost as if the sites are hurting me cost wise now. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Never been insta banned but I have had the above happen. It's really annoying to see the offer link and have everything even up to $1 off the BIN price get declined. I've said it before PC/GVN used to be the price you paid or less now it's where you start and go up. It's almost as if the sites are hurting me cost wise now. 

So I used to get annoyed with this until I realized eBay sometimes auto enables offers even when you had them off on relist, so I have been spammed by stupid offers and wondered how until I found that out. I just go decline the offers and disable them again though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goldenpp72 said:

So I used to get annoyed with this until I realized eBay sometimes auto enables offers even when you had them off on relist, so I have been spammed by stupid offers and wondered how until I found that out. I just go decline the offers and disable them again though.

Interesting. I haven't really been selling there as much as I did but I wasn't crazy about the changes that were made to selling when I sold an older phone a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

Pure idiocy if you boil it down really.

Sellers responding with blocking a buyer lowers the amount of people willing to buy their goods, maybe even resulting in a scenario where they have to keep lowering the price to the point that they’re now at or even below what the blocked buyer is willing to pay.

Shitty situation for both the buyer and seller

• Like 2

I ordered a copy of Star Ocean for the PS1 once.  The seller shipped it in nothing but a small bubble mailer.  When it showed up it was completely trashed.  Of course I asked for a refund, but after the return they blocked me from ordering from them again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMR said:

I ordered a copy of Star Ocean for the PS1 once.  The seller shipped it in nothing but a small bubble mailer.  When it showed up it was completely trashed.  Of course I asked for a refund, but after the return they blocked me from ordering from them again. 

"You want me to take reasonable measures on packaging? Banned"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

That sounds like the behavior of the "weird" guy at the flea market. You all know the one, the guy that's there every weekend and gets angry for no discernable reason and clearly has some sort of social disability. It just those guys selling on the internet

Get off my lawn!

• Haha 2

Never had that happen, but I got offered $67.50 once from the seller on an item. I offered $65 after, auto declined. Some days later I got an email saying it sold for $62. ???

Another one that's happened is where an item is say, $18 BIN. I get emailed that the seller sent me an offer, 25% off. The now discounted price is higher than the original BIN. Do people fall for this? The item's still not sold and has been raised to like $54 now, so 2 or more increases over the original BIN.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Now this I have had happen, and on rare occasion when it pissed me off enough I'd write them a note through ebay basically calling it out asking what the point is if you wont take an offer.  Usually ignored rarely I get some excuse or fury loaded snotty comment back.  I find it either way amusing, I figure if they complain ebay will notice they're abusing the system to advertise and get belligerent about it.

@NesmasterI've seen that.  I just mouth or say to myself asshole, and then erase the mailer from ebay.  If they have the nerve to actually not auto do it, but manually with a note, I'll slap it with a decline.  Once the comment seemed arrogant enough in tone like I was getting a big deal I called it out, on the decline, and went about my business.  There are some real scum on there.

• Like 1

Sellers can really be dicks at times.

I once put in an offer for a $45 dollar item for $40 (which is what that item had gone for in recent auctions) and the dolt seller comes up with a counter offer of $44.99.

It hadn't sold for a couple of auctions before.  When it next expired the seller left the make an offer option up but jacked the price up to $50.  My best guess is that was so he/she could then counter offer at $49.99.

Go figure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I once sent Lukie Games a question about the condition of a game she was selling and after a few days I hadn't heard a response so I tried sending another question. When I hit submit on the question, I got an automated response that I had been banned from purchasing from that seller.

Wow, so I got banned for asking a simple question. Probably wasn't a good idea based on how much I spend on games.

• Like 2

I rarely block a bidder but the situation that triggers me is if I have something listed as X BIN and they offer something less than half that. You know what fine, I appreciate the Hussle so I counter with something I feel is fair for the item. Then they counter back with $5 more than their first offer. 

It's at this point I'll usually block because everything about them screams that they'll be trouble dealing with. No regrets.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Yeah, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the effect those sites are having on dudes listing stuff on eBay now. My initial impression was that the PC/GVN price was the average, accounting for some that were in poor condition (sold for less) and those in pristine condition (sold for more). Nowadays it seems that sellers look at the PC/GVN number and think that’s the basement. I quite often see a game in terrible condition still going for over the PC/GVN price.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Strange said:

Yeah, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the effect those sites are having on dudes listing stuff on eBay now. My initial impression was that the PC/GVN price was the average, accounting for some that were in poor condition (sold for less) and those in pristine condition (sold for more). Nowadays it seems that sellers look at the PC/GVN number and think that’s the basement. I quite often see a game in terrible condition still going for over the PC/GVN price.

I'd really like to blame the sellers but you can't fault them for wanting to make as much money as they can on something. I'm always OK with paying PC/GVN + shipping for a decent copy game and I won't pay much more than that. Some buyers out there don't have that mentality and will pay over PC/GVN for crazy bad condition games and then buyers see that and jack up the prices on decent copies and here we are. 

If the buyers ever drop off it will correct but people have been saying it will since I joined NA and probably even before that. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Sellers can really be dicks at times.

I once put in an offer for a $45 dollar item for $40 (which is what that item had gone for in recent auctions) and the dolt seller comes up with a counter offer of $44.99.

It hadn't sold for a couple of auctions before.  When it next expired the seller left the make an offer option up but jacked the price up to $50.  My best guess is that was so he/she could then counter offer at $49.99.

Go figure.

This is exactly what I’m seeing more of in the recent years. These sellers have a set price in mind, and arrogantly thinking that that price is the bare minimum. You then get buyers offering a reasonable, close amount. The seller would do a few variations of dick acts:

- personally declining without bothering to counter-offer

- raises the BIN price higher each time you throw in an offer

- messaging you to imply you’re a lowball scum/reseller and they don’t want to deal with you.

- block you without warning

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Startyde said:

I rarely block a bidder but the situation that triggers me is if I have something listed as X BIN and they offer something less than half that. You know what fine, I appreciate the Hussle so I counter with something I feel is fair for the item. Then they counter back with $5 more than their first offer. 

It's at this point I'll usually block because everything about them screams that they'll be trouble dealing with. No regrets.

You’re talking a different argument though. The topic here is about sending in offers that are closer to the BIN price than offers which are less than half. Also, you’re likely selling a high condition item, whereas these sellers mentioned are selling stuff which are in likely average condition. 

Sellers have absolute right to ban buyers they dislike. However, this is more about adults who act like children chucking an invisible tantrum to what seems like no one wanting to click on the “BIN” icon.

Edited by GPX
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GPX said:

Sellers have absolute right to ban buyers they dislike. However, this is more about adults who act like children chucking an invisible tantrum to what seems like no one wanting to click on the “BIN” icon.

I have been on ebay since inception.  and have never been banned until i went and placed a reasonable offer on a item and the seller came back with a counter of 6x the list price.  so i turned them in and the seller banned me from his sales, with a statement that his stuff is the only one on ebay and he deserved the bin price at a min.  that was 2 years ago (his item is still for sell.)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was blocked by culsam for asking about the 72 pin connectors the store was selling. I think he / she / it was afraid I would start a return rather than simply buying it. Sellers are on edge. If there's one thing I've learned from my experiences on ebay, the ball is mostly in the buyer's court.

• Like 1