IGNORED

Where was your game room? (back in the day)

Tulpa

Game room!  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Where was your game room?

• Living room
    • Bedroom
    • Family room
    • Basement
    • Other

I asked this once before, but hey, new forum and all.

Where did you play games back in the day?

Mine was an upstairs family room we called the loft. It had vaulted ceilings, huge windows and was awesome. There was a beat up old console TV that I used for Atari, NES, SNES, and Genesis. Sadly, I don't have pictures of it, but post 'em if you got 'em!

Edited by Tulpa

When we first had the Atari and NES, my brother and I played in the living room, but we moved our operations upstairs when our dad no longer wanted to play them. My family wasn't well off, but we were lucky to live next door to a TV repairman, so we got TVs in our bedrooms for cheap. At one point, I had a floor-model TV in my room. Loved that thing. Sadly, I don't have any pictures.

NES  - Parents' bedroom, hooked up to their TV. Lots of great memories sitting on the floor in front of it or on the edge of my parents' bed with the box of games and going through the Game Genie codebook with my sister

Genesis - Hooked up to the little TV in the kitchen for a couple years after we first got it, eventually moved to my bedroom when I was a little older

N64 and on - my bedroom

Now that I own my house my older systems are in a dedicated gameroom with my modern systems in my living room

Living room. We had a pretty big house, but my parents would never allow more than one TV in the house (or cable, or a TV with a remote control. Eventually we got VCR. And a computer, after my dad needed to have one at home for work.) Eventually we got the attic finished, and a new model TV up  there, but I was pretty much on my way out by then.

Anyway, in my game days, there was one armchair close enough to the TV for playing Nintendo. Since I was older, I usually took that while my brother sat on the floor. 

Before i got a tv in the bedroom i usually played in the living room. I think my brother got a tv before i did so i'd play in his room too then i got the old hand me down tv from the living room when my mom got a new one. Have an old picture playing in the bedroom with the cat chillin.

20191030_221638.jpg

Edited by D~Funk
  • Like 3

The NES and Genesis were in the living room until I got a TV one year for christmas. This was in the 90s, it had a VHS player built into it and would always eat my tapes. Then I got an entertainment center and set everything up in my room. I have fond memories of having the NES, SNES, and Genesis all hooked up at the same time, each in on their own shelf. I spent thousands of hours in front of that entertainment center, yet here I am less than 20 years later and I can't for the life of me remember what it looked like. Probably cause I was always sitting up close staring at the screen.

I started with a nes hooked up in my parents bedroom.  We only had Super Mario/Duck Hunt. 

Things took off with the N64.  That was in an amoire in the living room.  My family still has the armoire so I used it for my gaming setup until about a year ago. 

Next gen I had a TV in my bedroom with Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox.  The other corner had a computer I bought.  Between all that and a stereo I was set for high school.

When I first got my NES for Christmas, the family room was the place to be, since my dad had a 21" Trinitron in there at the time.

A few years later when we moved (my parents bought some land and built a house), they had added a distinct "playroom" that was from then-on the game room.

I BRIEFLY was allowed to have a small TV and NES in my bedroom -- I think it corresponded with some relatives being in town for a week and my dad wanting to get the NES out of the larger playroom with so many kids in the house.

But that ended after a month, or two, when I had a friend over and we thought it would be a good idea to play World Class Track Meet on the power pad in the room right above the family room where my dad was watching TV at the time!

Other than that brief couple of months, that was the only time me, or any of my siblings, were allowed to have a TV in our rooms.

(though we did all eventually have PCs of one sort or another)

It was in the family living room. Started playing atari with my dad. When the 7800 came out he went out and bought every game he could for and we would eat dinner and play for hours. When we got the nes for Christmas same deal. Moved to a new house around the time Sega channel was a thing. We'd all stay up until midnight to see the games roll over at the end of the month. Always in the living room. 

• Like 1

When I got my new NES it got hooked up to the living room TV which was a 1970s clunky woodgrain Zenith floor model with UHF/VHF dials and a lever to raise and lower the volume. I remember it took my dad about an hour to hook the NES up when he got it because we had to use that little adapter for the RF switch that came in the box for TVs that didn't have the coax input. He eventually got a new living room TV so the Zenith got moved to the bedroom and it was still the gaming TV into the 16 bit era until I was old enough to save up the money to get a 14 inch TV that had RCA inputs so it was like playing games in HD without all of that RF static. 

For my Atari/NES era, we had two TVs in our living room. The main TV was probably a 21" one, and our old B&W, which had to be 12" was on a side-stand. The Atari and eventually the NES were attached to that, though eventually it moved to the main TV.

Once the 90s rolled around and I got a job, I already had a TV in my bedroom (the old 21" which was eventually upgraded) and that became home base.  In the interim, it was gaming on my Game Boy and Game Gear, which took place on my bunk bed 90% of the time.

My bedroom/gameroom was in the basement growing up at my parents house. It was a small downstairs room about 10x10 in size with access to the back door. I was able to come and go as I pleased as a teenager. My basement was the hangout for my friends and I before we all grew up. 

Edited by Ghost Soldier

Started in the living room but then my parents got sick of us taking over the TV in there so then it moved to my parents room. Then when I was maybe 11 I got a small 13" TV for my room.  I would still hook my consoles up in the living room from time to time because it was the biggest screen in the house.

At my parents' house, it was the living room up until I managed to get a TV of my own (first a 10-12" modern B&W job I wore out playing 2600 on, then toward the time I moved out, a 19" color CRT I got for $20 off a friend I worked with), at which point it was usually my bedroom.  At my house, it's always been the living room for consoles, although there have been brief moments of PC gaming in the bedroom.

Another basement player here. I need to find a picture to show you guys, it was so cool. We had a pool table downstairs, and on one side of it against a wall was a set of dark, nearly black built-in cabinets a little over waist high. One of the cabinets off to the side had an outlet inside of it, so we had an old Sony Trinitron with RF only inside, and a shelf above it with our NES and SNES inside along with all of our games. So we plopped our butts down next to the pool table, opened up the cabinet and played tons of games. Lots of great memories playing new games right after a holiday, and wrapping up with a blanket and digging into a rental for the weekend!

Edited by aaronmjr