IGNORED

Where was your game room? (back in the day)

Tulpa

Game room!  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Where was your game room?

• Living room
    • Bedroom
    • Family room
    • Basement
    • Other

Moderator · Posted

Me and my bro had a 13 inch black and white TV with a NES (Hand me down from Cousin) from 89-92 in our bedroom (try playing Where’s Waldo in B&W!). 

Christmas of 1992 my parents scraped together enough money (or debt) to buy us a 13 inch color TV and a Genesis with 1 game, Sonic. Best Christmas ever!

Ias born in 90' and there was already an NES in the house. I know this because there are christmas pictures from 1988 when my parents got it. I think everyone got one at that point actually. Most of my aunts and uncles had one despite having no children. One of my first memories is watching my dad play Rad Racer on our living room TV. He beat the game and the ending scene intrigued me. When I started playing, our NES was se tup on a table in the kitchen separate from where we ate. This was the case for years. Later on, my dad built us a clubhouse, and the NES was moved out there.

Until 2002, I never got my hands on anything more powerful than a Super Nintendo, which I didnt have a lot of games for so I primarily played NES in there until the 3 or so consoles we ended up with all died. After that we got an N64. When I was 14, we moved and I finally played got to play a video game in my own bedroom.

Edited by Jono1874

I wasn't allowed to have a TV in my bedroom when I was real young you lucky kids (my cool friends all did of course). We had a TV in the living room and I had to ask to use it! Now kids grow up with multiple screens growing out of their arms.

This is pic of the first TV I was allowed to have in my room, from the mid 2000s
spacer.png

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 4

Yeah, that's how it was when you had to use the living room tv. You had to ask to use it and after a time are told that it was time to turn it off because someone wanted to actually watch tv and was getting sick of hearing game noises. Back when my brother and I had an Atari 2600 we started with a small black & white tv in the living room, next to the regular tv, many times had to play it on mute or very low, but later got a room and an upgrade, a color tv, still had dials and rabbit ears though, but we thought it was great! Berserk, Yar's Revenge, Joust, Dig Dug, Adventure, all in full color! I remember to connect the 2600 we had to screw these two prong things in to the back of the tv using a screwdriver. Hey, you won't get that watching reruns of Gilligan's Island...

Old pic, mid-late-ish 80s, just hooked up brand new tv, yep, it's working! Would have been nice to get a game play pic though instead of an old tv show.

2402405_Atari2600andcolortv.thumb.png.cbd0121468f154fbd1660bafc0812f16.png

Edited by MeganJoanne
  • Like 3

My first was the basement, picture of me playing Cobra Triangle with my cousins.   Can see some games and Nintendo Power issues peaking out of the drawer.  

nes1.jpg

Shortly after that I moved that TV to the closet of my bedroom and made that my gameroom.  That was actually my favorite setup. NES in the closet is where it's at! 

• Like 4

In the bedroom, NES and Genesis days.  Then in Xmas of 1996 I got N64 with Mario and was allowed to hook that up in the living room!  Not sure how long that lasted, maybe 2 weeks until back to school, then it moved back into the bedroom with me too.

While I had the TV in the bedroom it was never allowed to have cable TV.  It was just for playing video games. 

• 3 weeks later...

I want to say I had a dedicated room for games in my youth, but that wasn't the case.  It was always in a bedroom.  Mine or somebody else's.  I remember when we moved to a house I got a custom entertainment center for my birthday.  Man I was living large then.  I played mostly NES and SNES.  I know for a fact I had a Sega Master System but i can't remember what happened to it for the life of me.

I'm going to look and see if I can find an old picture of this.