IGNORED

Toys "R" Us - footage from 1991-11-27

scaryice

This was on a Wed.  How do I know?  A) Its my dads bday. B) It was the WWF Survivor Series where the Undertaker beat Hulk Hogan for the WWF championship.  C) It was also the day I got so scared about the match I threw up.  I was 8.

11:19 look at those wrestling buddies!  I think the Big Boss Man was actually rare cuz no one bought him.

13:23 there they are!  Nes games!  I see Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu, Whomp Em, Castelian, Bards tale, North vs. South, Power Blade, Totally Rad, The Punisher, Time Lord, Formula One Built To win, Terra Cresta.

Weird cuz at this time the SNES should have been out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Weird cuz at this time the SNES should have been out.

It was, but it just sort of trickled out the door, nothing like how modern console releases work.  It was very difficult to get your hands on a SNES in 1991, having a lot to do with where you lived.  I actually got my SNES on Nov 21, just six days before this video was shot, and I remember my Mom having to call around to dozens of stores out of the Yellow Pages to find one and then begging some backwoods Mom & Pop shop to hold the last one for us while we raced into the big-city same-day to go and pick it up...

57 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It was, but it just sort of trickled out the door, nothing like how modern console releases work.  It was very difficult to get your hands on a SNES in 1991, having a lot to do with where you lived.  I actually got my SNES on Nov 21, just six days before this video was shot, and I remember my Mom having to call around to dozens of stores out of the Yellow Pages to find one and then begging some backwoods Mom & Pop shop to hold the last one for us while we raced into the big-city same-day to go and pick it up...

Oh interesting.  At this point I was all into wrestling so I wasn't following any video game stuff till about 96/97 when I went to a new friends house and he had an n64 and my mind was blown he didn't have to blow into the cartridge.  

Wow this is great.  This guy posted several cool Nintendo videos lately.

The best part is the very end. This looks like the NYC Herald Center TRU which was Nintendo's flagship store and had lots of custom displays in the window over the years.  Too bad the cameraman didn't show the window at the end.  Would love to have seen that window in motion with all the different fiber optics.

5aaabcab3be59f1f008b46ec?width=1136&form

REIVKgp.png

5 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Im still pissed I can’t bring my son to toys r us since they went out of business. It really was a really cool place for kids to go. I mean target has a couple aisles with toys in them but toys r us was an experience. 

Definitely.  We bought everything for my son at TRU/BRU leading up to him being born, then still took regular trips now and then.  We took one last, sad trip to our local store just before they permanently closed their doors in the summer of 2018.  My son was 3, so he would have just been old enough to (barely) remember having been there, and my wife was pregnant with our daughter, so we did a little last minute Babies R Us shopping as well (got the very last toddler mattress they had so we could move our son to a toddler bed and out of the convertible crib in time for the baby).  I'm still comparatively heartbroken over them shutting down as big a part of our childhoods as they were, and especially given the ought-to-be-illegal way that they were bought up and destroyed.

4 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

13:58 Lady just casually opens a Game Boy and pulls everything out of the box.  🤯

It wasn't a Game Boy, though, it was an case/accessory kit.  I assumed she was opening it to get a better idea of what was inside, something not at all uncommon in those days, although you'll get looked at immediately like you're a criminal if you do something similar today.  Just as with the software, systems were also in the cage and required you to take a tag up front to actually get your hands on merchandise.

• Like 1

This is amazing, but at the same time I can't help but be disappointed no Incredible Crash Dummies at the end of an aisle the way I remember them in '91....this footage here captures the exact era of when I can first consciously remember Toys R Us. The Legos are the exact era that I started getting heavily into them. Looking at this now, it may as well be 100 years ago.

It was a relief when Toy R Us locations stayed open in Canada. We pop into town every weekend to run errands and always stop off at TrU; whenever possible, I always give TrU my business over any place (online included) that sells what I, my wife or the kids are looking for. There never seems to be any turnover at the store here, and all the people are wonderful.

This video was a nice trip down memory lane. I remember at that time of year in '91 (at my local TrU in Gatineau, QC...when I lived in QC), the other side of the isle that had the video game tags had SNES consoles hooked up to CRTs from one end of the isle to the other. They were all behind glass, spaced a few feet apart, and SMW, F-Zero and Pilotwings were all on their attract screens; there were so many people in the isle trying to get a look at the different games. Boy, that was magical at 9 years old.

Thanks that was fun.  It was interesting seeing the wide variety of games, prices, and those neat vidpro cards.  I really miss that hands on setup.  So many games sitting there at a fairly nice $40~ value with some over and under, wasn't bad for the amount of work that had to go into so many of those in the day to finish them.  I was hoping to see what Super Dodgeball cost, but when that womans fat head got out of the way, no tickets left. 😕  And the nerve of that one woman opening up that product, fiddling with it and just kind of stuffing it back in and dropping it where it lies while on camera.

Shame the SNES didn't make an appearance.  I know it was a bit dicey in some regions in 1991 to get it, but being in southern california we got in on those initial shipments being west coast.  Makes me think back to me and some other kids who got their systems too, we'd chat up about the games we had, go into detail about stuff, some would share their games even.  Given the choice of social engagement from the 80s and 90s, to what you call that shit online now, it makes you miss it even more.  Respect, behavior...out the door, back then it was a nice community which stuck to and stayed on topic, not just trolling, politics and other stupidity.  I guess maybe a lot can be said for being in person and trying that given what the result would end up being. >:]

Seeing the TRU makes me remember so much of the one I had near me, and it stuck around until the death of TRU too as it was a good location back west where it sat.  I remember lining up getting my ticket and standing around to get my copy of SMB3 out of the cage they had there the day it came out.  All jacked up coming off the Wizard movie, it was a must, not that it wasn't already given 2 great console Mario games already and the handheld one too.

Somewhere I do believe around here, I still have one of those old TRU tickets, one I snapped up but never used for the N64 as I ended up getting one elsewhere when that came out.  Pretty sure I know where it is too, just can't dig for it right now.

Edited by Tanooki