IGNORED

Cryptocurrency thread

phart010

On 5/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, Code Monkey said:

I would need to read the white paper but from what I understood, it's not the same technology on the blockchain.

I looked at the Dogecoin Git last night. It's a fork of Litecoin which is a fork of Bitcoin, you can tell by looking at the README. There's no whitepaper. Dogecoin uses SCRYPT instead of SHA256 but other than that it's a PoW chain just the same. 

Also thanks for recommending Cartesi, doing good so far 🙂

41 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I wouldn’t say impossible. What causes the market price to go down is when there is more selling pressure than buying pressure in the markets.

Even with an unlimited supply currency, if the miners are not selling, then the additional supply isn’t being introduced into circulation. Eventually it would get sold off, but the rate that it gets sold off would have to keep pace with new market demand for DOGE to keep the price down. I could be wrong, but I could totally see DOGE getting to $10.

Another factor to consider is with Musk working with the DOGE dev team, they could change the rules. And we all know how Elon Musk loves to pump up prices.

All true, but what percentage of miners are mining and holding? I suspect very, very few.

If they introduce some kind of inflationary measure like burning or a hard cap on supply, then I give it a miniscule chance at $5. But supply is already at 130 billion and it's not stopping. A price of $10 puts market cap at 1.3 trillion dollars. That's significantly more than Bitcoin and more than triple Ethereum.

40 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

I looked at the Dogecoin Git last night. It's a fork of Litecoin which is a fork of Bitcoin, you can tell by looking at the README. There's no whitepaper. Dogecoin uses SCRYPT instead of SHA256 but other than that it's a PoW chain just the same. 

Here is the Dogecoin whitepaper 😁

2AEDC295-FF1C-4F6B-B073-EFF797D63497.jpeg.6734bdf6cab85b0272fada739b018bc9.jpeg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

That's funny, I was looking through the Bitcoin Core Git last night.

17 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Here is the Dogecoin whitepaper 😁

2AEDC295-FF1C-4F6B-B073-EFF797D63497.jpeg.6734bdf6cab85b0272fada739b018bc9.jpeg

Yeah, again, back in those early days, people were forking BTC/LTC like mad.  Sometimes not even changing any of the "magic numbers".

I hung out on an exchange back around 2014/15 (when Trollboxes were not only a thing, but encouraged) and we forked BTC, gave it something like 10 second blocks and called it "Mincoin".  The group pre-farmed it for a few days, put it on the exchange and people bought/invested.

Looking back, it sounds super-scammy but the truth is, there was a like a new coin a week back then, all of them getting listed somewhere and their fan bases just didn't make sense.  We just made one and listed it to see what happened and we all made a few bucks off of people buying in because everyone had to buy into the latest crypto.  I'd still say it's one of my least proud moments in crpyto, though.  It was the only "project" I supported that had zero-innovation and was just about sheer profit.  I feel a bit dirty just talking about it.

13 minutes ago, RH said:

Yeah, again, back in those early days, people were forking BTC/LTC like mad.  Sometimes not even changing any of the "magic numbers".

I hung out on an exchange back around 2014/15 (when Trollboxes were not only a thing, but encouraged) and we forked BTC, gave it something like 10 second blocks and called it "Mincoin".  The group pre-farmed it for a few days, put it on the exchange and people bought/invested.

Looking back, it sounds super-scammy but the truth is, there was a like a new coin a week back then, all of them getting listed somewhere and their fan bases just didn't make sense.  We just made one and listed it to see what happened and we all made a few bucks off of people buying in because everyone had to buy into the latest crypto.  I'd still say it's one of my least proud moments in crpyto, though.  It was the only "project" I supported that had zero-innovation and was just about sheer profit.  I feel a bit dirty just talking about it.

I have to admit I do feel a bit dirty for buying Doge. I don’t like “hype-only” cryptos, all the ones I’ve bought so far have an actually utility to them.

But given that Coinbase will be supporting DOGE, I have changed my mind. I feel that Coinbase until now has held a more or less authoritative role in the crypto space. They have supposedly vetted out all of the currencies and only listed the ones that they deemed to be responsibly managed and meeting a strict set of standards.

I trust that Coinbase finds the utility in it, as I am just the average person.

Edited by phart010

13 hours ago, phart010 said:

I have to admit I do feel a bit dirty for buying Doge. I don’t like “hype-only” cryptos, all the ones I’ve bought so far have an actually utility to them.

But given that Coinbase will be supporting DOGE, I have changed my mind. I feel that Coinbase until now has held a more or less authoritative role in the crypto space. They have supposedly vetted out all of the currencies and only listed the ones that they deemed to be responsibly managed and meeting a strict set of standards.

I trust that Coinbase finds the utility in it, as I am just the average person.

Sounds like you're just doing your best to convince yourself of a decision you have already made. Coinbase will accept trading on currencies where there is consumer demand, and where they think they can make money...

I doubt ANYONE involved in buying and selling Doge is doing anything more than moving along with the crowd and seeing how long they can stay on until the train derails, you said it yourself there is no RATIONAL basis for the value of Doge...

Good luck to you and all the rest of the Doge ''investors''. I will be watching from the side-lines, I'm sure it will be worth my attention at least, if not my money! 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
14 hours ago, RH said:

I wonder if we could convince someone to make SageCoin a thing...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OptOut said:

Sounds like you're just doing your best to convince yourself of a decision you have already made. Coinbase will accept trading on currencies where there is consumer demand, and where they think they can make money...

I doubt ANYONE involved in buying and selling Doge is doing anything more than moving along with the crowd and seeing how long they can stay on until the train derails, you said it yourself there is no RATIONAL basis for the value of Doge...

Good luck to you and all the rest of the Doge ''investors''. I will be watching from the side-lines, I'm sure it will be worth my attention at least, if not my money! 

Yes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kimbolemonslice said:

Anyone here investing in safemoon? Its very interesting crypto to me, the amount of coins is dropping a couple million coins a second and over 30000 new investors a day. Feel like it could reach upwards of a penny within a couple of years.

What does it do?