1. 1. What is your favorite Doom game?

• Doom
    • Doom II: Hell on Earth
    • Final Doom
    • Doom 64
    • Doom 3
    • Doom (2016)
    • Doom Eternal

Original is still my favorite even though I probably have more hours on Final Doom.  Doom 2016 is great as well, but I wasn't able to finish it.  I got Doom Eternal for Christmas so I hope to try that one sometime this year.  From what I've watched online, I will probably enjoy Eternal, but not more than the original.  I'm getting old and there is just too much shit going on at once in these newer games.  I love the look of it, and it's fun for a little bit, but it's too much for me to play through the entire game.  

Still Doom/Ultimate Doom.  D2 is a very close 2nd to 3rd along with Doom64.  I don't really consider FInal Doom its own game, I get why people do, but I just consider it what even iD called it, a licensed bundle of the best WADs made by others with the TNT and Plutonium packs.  Doom II is solid, but I didn't feel it did enough different and quite a few stages just felt so big that it got to dragging and the end was just stupid, stupid and for the first time to end it, utterly obscure and confusing.  Doom 64 (the real Doom 3) shocked me, fantastic game, felt more like the original but using real 3D space for the stages while staying true to the source and well the pixelated sprite monsters too and it's just a lot of fun.

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I love the look of it, and it's fun for a little bit, but it's too much for me to play through the entire game.  

You know I want to agree with you on this line, but not for your reasoning.  It's not that it has too much going on and that you're getting old.  There's a big solid game altering set of mechanics they employed in the game that has kept me too from being motivated to finishing it... glory kills, and those demonic upgrade teleporter challenges.  They force the use of glory kills to ultimately have enough ammo, armor and health just to survive the game, so you're made to do a bunch of hyper crap stupid moves getting into the middle of a beat down to get more of those things and that just utterly sucks.  Only magnified by the fact it forces the chainsaw to be used to do this, and with very limited gas, when it used to be a hidden glory weapon free of fuel limits just for fun instead of fists.  And the other, you basically have these weird challenging ranging from odd puzzles to very picky time limited fast spree of some sort events to get the boosts to be able to stick with the progression better.  They to me were just kind of game breaking as far as stick to it fun goes.  But outside of that, the size of the mobs and incoming blasts, no worse than the old, just in 3D and not well faux 3D of 30 years ago.