• Doom II: Hell on Earth
    • Final Doom
    • Doom 64
    • Doom 3
    • Doom (2016)
    • Doom Eternal

31 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

DooM.  Doom eternal a close second.

I feel pretty much the same. The original, particularly Knee-Deep in the Dead, is just timeless and I could play it forever. Doom Eternal is really, really good though and deserves to be up there at least tied with Doom II for me, if not edging it out just slightly. The only complaint I have against Eternal is that it kinda shits the bed with the Marauders. They are the one blemish on that otherwise fantastic game.

But they're all amazing. I'd rank 'em: Doom > Doom Eternal > Doom 2016 > Doom II > Doom 64 > Final Doom > Doom 3

Yeah, I didn't really care much for Doom 3 outside of it being a graphical showstopper in its day but I recognize that's just a matter of personal taste. I can't deny the overall badassness of its design and the talent behind it.

Edited by Webhead123

13 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Haven't played Eternal or Final, but I'm going with the original.

You're not missing a whole lot with Final Doom, honestly. I mean, it's still Doom, so it's better than a lot of things but it's about the cheapest, sloppiest and more irritating Doom there is. You have to really be a completionist to want to subject yourself to it.

Haven't played Eternal yet, I heard it's good, and a lot of people say it's even better than 2016 Doom. I imagine it's still much in the same line, though, so I could see it edging it's way into a top spot on the list.

I'm not counting on it topping the original Doom though, which I greatly prefer to the "reboot". In fact, it's one of my absolute favourite FPS games - despite being at pretty much the birth of the genre, it got so much right, right at the start. It understood how to make exciting pure FPS gameplay in a way several later games don't really pay attention to. And I'm specifically a fan of how well tailored it feels to the perspective, which at the time was still a pretty unique thing.

So much of this is in the level design though, which is also why I don't really care much for Doom 2 compared to the first. The levels have some really cool ideas, but they just aren't as great for gameplay purposes.

Events Team · Posted
43 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I feel pretty much the same. The original, particularly Knee-Deep in the Dead, is just timeless and I could play it forever. Doom Eternal is really, really good though and deserves to be up there at least tied with Doom II for me, if not edging it out just slightly. The only complaint I have against Eternal is that it kinda shits the bed with the Marauders. They are the one blemish on that otherwise fantastic game.

But they're all amazing. I'd rank 'em: Doom > Doom Eternal > Doom 2016 > Doom II > Doom 64 > Final Doom > Doom 3

Yeah, I didn't really care much for Doom 3 outside of it being a graphical showstopper in its day but I recognize that's just a matter of personal taste. I can't deny the overall badassness of its design and the talent behind it.

Everyone always shits on the Marauders, but the Marauders are great in my opinion. I love fighting them, and I love that they demand your attention whenever they show up.

• Like 1

Maybe it’s nostalgia, maybe not, but nothing beats the original for me. Haven’t played Eternal yet but 2016 was a great return to form.

Seeing that game when it was released blew my mind. The gore, the horror, the graphics at the time, the soundtrack, just all amazing.

Then when you got bored of single player you got to play even more with the multiplayer. Truly a masterpiece in my mind.

8 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Everyone always shits on the Marauders, but the Marauders are great in my opinion. I love fighting them, and I love that they demand your attention whenever they show up.

I don't think they're as truly bad as the "community voice" makes them out to be but, outside of the novelty of how differently you have to approach them to any other enemy in the game, I did not find them very fun. They kind of remind me of some classic boss designs that people often complain about. Dance around to read the pattern. Wait for opening. Attack. Repeat 5-7 times.

The very first Marauder fight was cool because it was treated like a boss battle. After that, I quickly grew tired of the shtick. They're not even all that difficult once you understand what they do. Just tedious.

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I don't think they're as truly bad as the "community voice" makes them out to be but, outside of the novelty of how differently you have to approach them to any other enemy in the game, I did not find them very fun. They kind of remind me of some classic boss designs that people often complain about. Dance around to read the pattern. Wait for opening. Attack. Repeat 5-7 times.

The very first Marauder fight was cool because it was treated like a boss battle. After that, I quickly grew tired of the shtick. They're not even all that difficult once you understand what they do. Just tedious.

Haha, maybe that's part of the reason I've always liked them, I have most of the weapons binded to specific keys so I can quickly swap to them without needing to use the weapon wheel, and when you get good enough at swapping very quickly between different weapons (namely the super shotty and ballista with the Marauders) you only need to take advantage of that opening around 3 times to kill them (Or sometimes only twice or 1 time if you throw in a couple well-timed grenades as well to stunlock him further.) Granted, I still actively play the game, most people probably don't bother going that in-depth with combating the Marauders on a single playthrough, but they become a lot less of a time sink once you get good at that weapon swapping.

Did you ever or are you ever going to play the Ancient Gods DLC that came out for Eternal? Because if you didn't like the Marauders in the base game, then, well... 😅

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Always feel weird about voting when I haven't played every game on the list.  Went with Doom, haven't play Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal. 

Well it's not like that's an unpopular vote anyway, haha.

Me and Astral will just sit over here in our corner being the only ones who prefer the reboot DOOM games to the originals 😛

4 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Did you ever or are you ever going to play the Ancient Gods DLC that came out for Eternal? Because if you didn't like the Marauders in the base game, then, well... 😅

I hope to get around to Ancient Gods eventually. But yeah, if they somehow make the Marauders even more obnoxious...bleh.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I hope to get around to Ancient Gods eventually. But yeah, if they somehow make the Marauders even more obnoxious...bleh.

Hahaha, boy howdy are you gonna love it...

I won't say any more in regards to the Marauders, but the DLC really cranks up the difficulty a ton, it really does just kick you in the ass on the higher difficulties. The base game feels like an absolute cakewalk once you get through the DLC.

Doom for me. It has the best mix of exploration, theme, music, and shooting. Levels also flow better into one another. Doom II's level design can be more gimmicky and oftentimes more about showing off enormous levels full of a billion enemies.

The shortcomings of either of the first 2 games are easily overcome by downloading the tons of ridiculous WADs out there that suit whatever map design or play style you want though. I prefer the design of the built in Doom 1 levels though.

Doom 2016 doesn't feel like Doom to me. It's super linear and full of a bunch of Quake III jump pad arenas. It's kind of a weird hybrid of Doom theming with Quake gameplay. Still a cool game of course, but the exploration of some labyrinthine, gothic Super Mario 64 level is my favorite part of Doom, not just straightforward face paced murdering waves of demons. There way more memorable map designs of Doom 1 and 2 than the largely interchangeable jump pad arenas of Doom 2016 IMO.

Haven't played Eternal yet. There's no real bad Doom game, except maybe Doom 3: RoE which was short and bereft of ammo to encourage you to use the shitty Half-Life 2 rip-off gravity gun. Surely a low point in Doom innovation.

12 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Doom 2016 doesn't feel like Doom to me. It's super linear and full of a bunch of Quake III jump pad arenas. It's kind of a weird hybrid of Doom theming with Quake gameplay. Still a cool game of course, but the exploration of some labyrinthine, gothic Super Mario 64 level is my favorite part of Doom, not just straightforward face paced murdering waves of demons. There way more memorable map designs of Doom 1 and 2 than the largely interchangeable jump pad arenas of Doom 2016 IMO.

2016 does feel closer to something like Serious Sam than Doom in some ways. Now, that's not to put it down at all. Serious Sam is a fantastic game! But yes, the greater focus on arena fights and the more linear stages is a bit of a contrast from classic Doom.

Still, 2016 was a breath of fresh air in an age when the FPS genre has all but gone to sh*t.

Edited by Webhead123

9 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

Doom 3 is the only one I haven't played and theres a good chance I'm not going to.  I have to say re-playing Doom 64 I liked it more than I thought.  I want to LOVE Doom 2, but after playing it so many times, some of the maps are just so BLEH!  I love pretty much the first and last 3rd of Doom 2.  So I think I would probably say for me.  Also Final Doom doesn't really count because its more like an officially released fan wad.  

Doom - Doom Eternal - Doom 64 - Doom 2 - Doom 2016 - Doom 3.  

And thats not even that I dont like Doom 2016!  I would rate them as 10 - 9.5 - 9 - 8.5 - 8 - 0 haha

31 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

i have to say though, I really wasn't in love with AG because it felt like it was made for PC players, not console players.  I beat DE on Nightmare and halfway thru AG I had to lower it to UV.  It seems like for what was thrown at you, you just can NOT switch weapons fast enough, and between multiple weapons too.  Yeah on PC you can go Rocket-Ballista-Quick Scope on like most enemies but on console you're really stuck with alternating between 2.  The weapon wheel is a crummy compromise, even though it slows down time, I always feel like I can't switch fast enough with it and lose the combat flow.

5 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

i have to say though, I really wasn't in love with AG because it felt like it was made for PC players, not console players.  I beat DE on Nightmare and halfway thru AG I had to lower it to UV.  It seems like for what was thrown at you, you just can NOT switch weapons fast enough, and between multiple weapons too.  Yeah on PC you can go Rocket-Ballista-Quick Scope on like most enemies but on console you're really stuck with alternating between 2.  The weapon wheel is a crummy compromise, even though it slows down time, I always feel like I can't switch fast enough with it and lose the combat flow.

That's probably a fair assessment. Honestly, I can only imagine how much tougher DE would be on console, down to the control limitations. I only play FPS on PC anymore. I can't be bothered without having mouse+keyboard support.

As a matter of fact, Doom 2016 was the game that finally forced me to build a new gaming PC...because I *had* to play that game and I *refused* to play it on a controller. So yeah, Doom is what got me back on the modern PC train.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

That's probably a fair assessment. Honestly, I can only imagine how much tougher DE would be on console, down to the control limitations. I only play FPS on PC anymore. I can't be bothered without having mouse+keyboard support.

As a matter of fact, Doom 2016 was the game that finally forced me to build a new gaming PC...because I *had* to play that game and I *refused* to play it on a controller. So yeah, Doom is what got me back on the modern PC train.

Maybe I'm just used to FPS on consoles since I've never been a PC gamer but I've always played the genre fine on consoles. I'm sure keyboard and mouse is easier for aiming but controllers have always worked for me.