IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

John Cena vs CM Punk - Money in the Bank 2011

Anything Kenny Omega vs Kazuchika Okada from NJPW (good matches even if they are overhyped to high heaven)

Stadium Stampede Match from AEW Double or Nothing 2020

Triple H vs Shawn Micheals vs Chris Benoit - WM20

Cody vs. Darby Allin - Fyter Fest 2019

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh... no, not a good start.  We're talking about matches that will forever stand the test of time.  Maybe the WM20 one but I haven't seen it.  Most of the matches I listed have something in common, a story.  Something aside from the wrestling that could grab someones attention and get invested in it.  

Flair vs. Funk I quit.  - The drama of getting the other person to quit, plus the face turn of Terry at the end.

Flair vs. Steamboat any 89 match,

Hogan vs Warrior Wrestlemania 6, - Hogan passing the torch (even if it failed).  Huge arena, 2 monster faces

Austin vs. Hart Wrestlemania 13, - Double turn from Bret to heel, Austin to face

Undertaker vs. Michaels Wrestlemania 25, - The drama of keeping the streak alive

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart Wrestlemania X, - Brother vs brother, and the little brother trying to prove himself

Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon Wrestlemania X, - latter match drama

Flair vs. Vader Starrcade 93 (My fav ever), - Flair retirement drama

Macho Man vs. Ultimate Warrior Wrestlemania 7, - retirement drama

Macho Man vs. Ricky Steamboat Wrestlemania 3, 

Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels Badd Blood 97 - The greatest debut of all time, and the intro to this match

Undertaker vs. Mankind King of the Ring 98 - just a spectacle.

If you're gonna do AEW matches, the only one that would come close is Cody vs. Dustin.  Again brother vs brother drama.  Just was freaking excellent.

Smackdown was pretty interesting.  Lots of interconnected segments and continuity.  AJ defending the IC belt.  Gable going heel on Riddle.  Big E solo push.  Fiend giving Bliss the mandible claw (maybe Blisster Abagail was not a one off.)

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, they proved me wrong again.

I’m sure if Cody announced he was starting a fight pit with a couple of the more MMA style AEW boys, offering a big purse for an upcoming hardcore/first blood match at the next PPV, y’all would be praising how bold and creative it was, saying it is the greatest thing since the attitude era.

2 minutes ago, fox said:

I’m sure if Cody announced he was starting a fight pit with a couple of the more MMA style AEW boys, offering a big purse for an upcoming hardcore/first blood match at the next PPV, y’all would be praising how bold and creative it was, saying it is the greatest thing since the attitude era.

Only if they promise to bring in Vince Russo.

• Haha 1

@guitarzombie we get it, you hate everything in pro wrestling after the year 2000. Doesn't mean it's bad just because you don't like it, boomer 😛

Anyway

RAW Underground wasnt the worst thing, not even what I'd call bad... but it was weirdly presented. Like it was supposed to be the "3rd hour" thing but then they only just barely did anything?

Likely a lot to do with the reports of Backstage in general this week being an absolute flustercluck and Vince "McMahon'ing" even more then usual. I don't wish the man ill but like... WWE isn't going to get any better anytime soon unless Vince isn't involved anymore... and I don't think he's going to stop until he's dead.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

7 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

@guitarzombie we get it, you hate everything in pro wrestling after the year 2000. Doesn't mean it's bad just because you don't like it, boomer 😛

Anyway

RAW Underground wasnt the worst thing, not even what I'd call bad... but it was weirdly presented. Like it was supposed to be the "3rd hour" thing but then they only just barely did anything?

Likely a lot to do with the reports of Backstage in general this week being an absolute flustercluck and Vince "McMahon'ing" even more then usual. I don't wish the man ill but like... WWE isn't going to get any better anytime soon unless Vince isn't involved anymore... and I don't think he's going to stop until he's dead.

Thats not true!  I hate probably a MAJORITY of pro wrestling after probably around 2003?  Ive been watching all the Raws/Nitros/PPVs from 83 on and I'm at Summerslam 2000.  The WWF stuff is ok but I really am not a fan of the invincible HHH.

There are spots of greatness still.  Cody v Dustin was great, Rhea v Charlotte this WM was excellent, of course any of the legendary Taker WM matches against Michaels etc.  Again they all tell a story haha.  

4 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Thats not true!  I hate probably a MAJORITY of pro wrestling after probably around 2003?  Ive been watching all the Raws/Nitros/PPVs from 83 on and I'm at Summerslam 2000.  The WWF stuff is ok but I really am not a fan of the invincible HHH.

There are spots of greatness still.  Cody v Dustin was great, Rhea v Charlotte this WM was excellent, of course any of the legendary Taker WM matches against Michaels etc.  Again they all tell a story haha.  

How are you liking that long term rewatch? As someone who hasn't really followed wrestling since the 90s it sounds like a cool way to go through the history.

6 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

How are you liking that long term rewatch? As someone who hasn't really followed wrestling since the 90s it sounds like a cool way to go through the history.

I started because I hardly knew ANYTHING about WCW but I knew a lot of the WWF.  I ended up being a bigger WCW fan, although when the WWF is good, its the best IMO.  The best eras IMO are the 80 up to when Flair joined WWF in 91, and Austins build in 97/98.  Also the eras I was watching live haha.  I ended up loving good NWA, then the stupid Jim Herd 90/91 WCW, some of the great talents of 92/93 WCW, the stupid goofy Hogan 94/95 stuff, the mostly cool nWo stuff 96 thru 98, then the absolute insanely bad 99 on Russo WCW.  I liked EVERY era of WCW, cant say the same for the WWF.  I cant really stomach most WWF from 93 to early 96.

Edited by guitarzombie
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 9:03 AM, guitarzombie said:

Fair, but your preface for the list was "popular matches" that also seem to be of higher degree of quality, so I was trying to contribute. Not saying any of the matches I suggested were 4.5+ Star matches, but they're all considered great matches in their own right, modern, and ones I thought were at least entertaining. It's all subjective anyway 🤷‍♂️lol

Cody vs Dustin at Double or Nothing was also a really great match as well, good shout.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It was average, which by recent standards is better than usual.

Dominik looks pretty good in his first match, and great storytelling by Seth.  Sasha and Asuka tried to kill each other.  Drew and Randy put on a fun match.  Bruan and the Fiend was wonky but had a surprise swole Roman.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:07 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Is anybody watching Summerslam?

Yo

18 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It was average, which by recent standards is better than usual.

I thought it was actually above average at least

Was it predictable? Yes but that's not inherently a bad thing. I'm honestly a bit disappointed they had the Fiend win, Having Braun retain and then dropping it to Roman (which seems to be the forgone conclusion) would've made more sense. Bray didn't need to win the title, and tbh him having it now to just lose it later will do more harm then him just not having won it. He basically already got the victory by turning Braun to the darkside, which they could've done so much more with. I had talked with @fox some time ago how they couldve went somewhere with Braun & Fiend re-teaming up. Monster Braun being backed up/guided by the Fiend. Then have "good guy" Braun with the title show up in the Fun House as the Mr. Mcfeely to Bray's Mr. Rogers. Or something, more then the bland tease of "Not Sister Abigail" Alexa Bliss though that whole bit confirms that someone on the WWe writing staff are definitely watching Pro Wrestling Youtube like Wrestletalk, Cultholic, What Culture and the like