IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

12 hours ago, fox said:

...potential eye stigmata...

I am very curious about how the finish is gonna happen. I know we won't have a "eye pulled from socket" finish, my money is on a bloody gouge with the loser of the match holding their hand over the wound. With Bruce Prichard on creative we can expect anything though.

4 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

I am very curious about how the finish is gonna happen. I know we won't have a "eye pulled from socket" finish, my money is on a bloody gouge with the loser of the match holding their hand over the wound. With Bruce Prichard on creative we can expect anything though.

I'm guessing it will be a corner of the steel steps spot or something. I doubt they are going to go with some CGI Mortal Kombat level nonsense.

21 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

Yeah I'm way out of the loop on this stuff 🙂 I've always wanted to get into watching wrestling but it has always seemed too overwhelming with multiple leagues, all on different channels, different wrestlers in different leagues and so on

Well there's way too much to get into but it really breaks down into 2 categories. Serious, realistic kind of wrestling which would be almost anything in the 80s except for the WWF, and more lightearted, cartoon, super-hero like wrestling which was the WWF, and almost everything going on today.

When I say telling a story in wrestling, the basics could be really simple. A guy with an injured knee, wrestling someone who's a submission expert and the match is centered around that guy trying to put his old on the guys knee. That match I was referring to was about respect. The little brother gaining the big brothers respect, not exactly about the moves.  Most modern wrestling is fancy, impressive and mostly co-operative looking moves which can take you out of the moment, but is spectacular to watch. Some of it is very 'video game' like with no rhyme or reason, just big move after big move, instead of like what I was saying earlier.  That kind of wrestling was more reserved for important matches in the 80s/90s.

1 hour ago, ChickenTendas said:

Wrestling is way more complicated than I thought. Where should I start if I want to get into watching?

I dunno, its hard to tell because I don't know what you would like. I'll give you some popular matches, and you can either try to find them online or see if you can watch clips.

Flair vs. Funk I quit,

Flair vs. Steamboat any 89 match,

Hogan vs Warrior Wrestlemania 6,

Austin vs. Hart Wrestlemania 13,

Undertaker vs. Michaels Wrestlemania 25,

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart Wrestlemania X,

Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon Wrestlemania X,

Flair vs. Vader Starrcade 93 (My fav ever),

Macho Man vs. Ultimate Warrior Wrestlemania 7,

Macho Man vs. Ricky Steamboat Wrestlemania 3,

Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels Badd Blood 97

Undertaker vs. Mankind King of the Ring 98

1 hour ago, ChickenTendas said:

Wrestling is way more complicated than I thought. Where should I start if I want to get into watching?

This is one of the best matches ever on Monday Night Raw.

Another great match. I was also there in the crowd down on the field!

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

I took a hiatus from Wrestling from 2002-2013. First thing I did was catch up on the current stuff (Basically watched about two months previous up to current), then I went back and started watching everything I missed since then. I started with big matches and PPV, then started watching the weekly stuff. Just an FYI, I'm still watching weekly stuff I missed.

Administrator · Posted
20 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I dunno, its hard to tell because I don't know what you would like. I'll give you some popular matches, and you can either try to find them online or see if you can watch clips.

Depends on what kind of matches you like, but if you like the above one definitely check out some of the early TLC matches that have the Hardy Boyz and the Dudleys.

If you like the other kinds I would also throw in Bret Hart vs Mr. Perfect Summerslam '92, and Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper (they only had one match).

43 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Depends on what kind of matches you like, but if you like the above one definitely check out some of the early TLC matches that have the Hardy Boyz and the Dudleys.

If you like the other kinds I would also throw in Bret Hart vs Mr. Perfect Summerslam '92, and Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper (they only had one match).

That was Summerslam 1991. The Bret Hart vs British Bulldog IC title match was 1992. It's a classic in its own right.

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That was Summerslam 1991. The Bret Hart vs British Bulldog IC title match was 1992. It's a classic in its own right.

The years all mush together for me, and that is a damn fine match as well (being at Wembley made it even better).

5 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Hart vs Perfect Summerslam 91, Hart vs Bulldog Summerslam 92 and Hart vs Piper WM 8 are all good examples. I would say though I did debate putting Hart vs Bulldog on that list, but lets try to have some variety, else you would only see the names Hart, Flair and Steamboat haha.  

17 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

Extreme Rules...Not the worst I've seen, but pretty bad.

The in-ring work at XR was pretty good.

Good tables match, fantastic double table ending.  Good to see Cesaro get some gold.  Kofi is dead.

Bayley seems to pull a good match out of anyone, this is the best I have seen out of Cross.  Def exceeded expectations.  Great final shot of the nucks ringside.

Seth and Rey put on a killer match.  Gets knocked for a goofy ending but what did you expect with a goofy stip.

Asuka and Banks match of the night.  Killer spots and reversal after reversal.  Totally overbooked finish, but sure they will rematch tonight on Raw or SS, so I’m down for that.

Drew and Dolph was alrite.  Good to see a heel be smart for once, but to still lose, lol.  It is Zippler so who cares though.  Drew looked good and the Claymore looked killer, alrite filler defense.

Swamp Fight, wasn’t a fight or even a match, shouldn’t have been the main event.  Was too talking and full of WTF.  It was bad but in that cheesy horror movie kind of way.

Overall average PPV.  Good in ring work let down by some wonky finishes and goofy main event.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fox said:

Swamp Fight, wasn’t a fight or even a match, shouldn’t have been the main event.  Was too talking and full of WTF.  It was bad but in that cheesy horror movie kind of way.

Totally agree.  It sounds like Vince loves this stuff, although I find it extremely tacky and a really low/cheap way to glorify Wyatt/Fiend.  I didn't mind the Undertaker/AJ match, but the Cena/Wyatt and Wyatt/Braun matches were hot garbage.

The best part was Braun's Ford Raptor in the beginning lol those trucks are amazing.

21 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Totally agree.  It sounds like Vince loves this stuff, although I find it extremely tacky and a really low/cheap way to glorify Wyatt/Fiend.  I didn't mind the Undertaker/AJ match, but the Cena/Wyatt and Wyatt/Braun matches were hot garbage.

The best part was Braun's Ford Raptor in the beginning lol those trucks are amazing.

Hopefully these cinematic matches stop whenever they get back to having wrestling in arenas again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 1:21 AM, DarkTone said:

Thoughts on the new US and FTW titles?

I'm alright with the new US Title, it's maybe a slight step up from the previous title. I think the new IC title with some red white and blue wouldve been great (they didnt need to change the IC title even though it looks decent)

On 7/18/2020 at 7:15 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

There are some really good matches like that on YouTube that you would never think happened. I'd have to try and find it again, but I saw an Orange Cassidy/Colt Cabana match that was way better than I would have expected it to be.

Orange Cassidy vs. David Starr if you can look past the #SpeakingOut stuff was pretty great OC match

On 7/18/2020 at 2:50 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm guessing it will be a corner of the steel steps spot or something. I doubt they are going to go with some CGI Mortal Kombat level nonsense.

There were a ton of reports up to and after the show that they were strongly considering going the CGI route. Apparently it got nixed last minute (tho supposedly there is footage of CGI eye gore out there)

On 7/19/2020 at 3:02 PM, guitarzombie said:

Flair vs. Funk I quit,

Flair vs. Steamboat any 89 match,

Hogan vs Warrior Wrestlemania 6,

Austin vs. Hart Wrestlemania 13,

Undertaker vs. Michaels Wrestlemania 25,

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart Wrestlemania X,

Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon Wrestlemania X,

Flair vs. Vader Starrcade 93 (My fav ever),

Macho Man vs. Ultimate Warrior Wrestlemania 7,

Macho Man vs. Ricky Steamboat Wrestlemania 3,

Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels Badd Blood 97

Good matches. Some more off the top of my head;

John Cena vs CM Punk - Money in the Bank 2011

Anything Kenny Omega vs Kazuchika Okada from NJPW (good matches even if they are overhyped to high heaven)

Stadium Stampede Match from AEW Double or Nothing 2020

Triple H vs Shawn Micheals vs Chris Benoit - WM20

Cody vs. Darby Allin - Fyter Fest 2019

Struggling to think of anymore at this hour.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:01 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

They just had to throw that in to make it worse. The sad thing is that it was a decent match outside of the ending.

This sums up the entire PPV really

On 7/20/2020 at 5:20 PM, fox said:

The in-ring work at XR was pretty good.

Overall average PPV.  Good in ring work let down by some wonky finishes and goofy main event.

This entirely. Great matches until the WTF endings. Also I did not like the Swamp Match

On 7/21/2020 at 10:13 AM, Boosted52405 said:

I thought Firefly Funhouse Match from WM36 was great from a story telling perspective. Now if they don't just squander/ignore it when Cena makes his inevitable return.