IGNORED

Happily Disinterested?

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

There's a staggering amount of games and hardware to experience in our hobby, to the point where I often find myself feeling relieved when there are certain genres and systems that don't appeal to me.

I'm super-interested in all 8-bit platformers and 8-bit/16-bit space shooters, enough that I compulsively want to play and own as many as possible. That still encompasses a lot of media, but I'm happy to have such a niche focus. Because of this, I get a balance of excitement and fear-of-missing-out when I hear about early platformers and space shooters that I don't own or haven't played before. Kind of a bittersweet feeling. So it can be a relief to see people get pumped about stuff like RPGs and disc-based consoles, because I can share in their excitement without the stress of trying to add more stuff to my own collecting/playing library.

Does anyone else feel this kind of relief toward branches of the hobby that don't particularly interest you?

-CasualCart

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

All of my interests are expensive ones. 😞

I used to feel like the only person in the world who was actively super into horror games and shoot-em-ups. I'm not sure when the boom was or if it was more gradual, but they're both among the most expensive to collect today.

• Like 2

I'm the same way with non-mainstream systems. When I first started collecting, I had a 3DO collection and a decent CIB NGPC collection, while also looking into starting GAME.COM and other more niche systems. As time went on, it felt like too many spinning plates, and I didn't have enough money to collect for all these different systems. So I sold off the stuff I didn't really have any personal connection to and focused on more satisfying ventures. My collection's growth has slowed, but everything that gets added will now actually get played and/or displayed.

• Like 2

Absolutely and, as you say, I think it can be a relief to know that you don't have to try to be interested in everything that's out there. There's too much to play as it is.

You mentioned disc-based systems and I definitely share some refreshing disinterest. Not for disc-based systems on the whole, as there are a handful that I really like. But knowing that a console (particularly a classic console) relies on disc media is the sign of caution/hesitation for me. Optical readers fail, discs get scratched/cracked and hacks, homebrews, patches and preservation are all so much more of a pain.

Don't get me wrong. I love many of the games on some of these systems: TG-16 CD, Sega CD, Saturn, PS, PS2, GC, etc. But worrying about the aging optical hardware and maintaining game collections for them is kind of off-putting for me.

Other than that, I'm also not terribly interested in a few game genres: Non-Arcadey Sports games, 90% of Puzzle Games, Real-Time Strategy, 90% of Collect-a-thons, Visual Novel-type games, Business/Farming/Lifestyle sims. I'm sure there are a few others I'm not thinking of.

Really, my bread and butter is action/platformers, adventure games, shooters (being either Run-n-Gun, Shmup or FPS) and the occasional RPG (about 40 hours, max). Everything else is just kind of out there and, if particular title impresses me, I'll check it out. If not...meh.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

When I was completing my Game Boy loose USA fullset, someone on reddit asked if I was going for label variants. I was happy to not care about those. But after I completed the set, label variants became very interesting to me, sort of a post-game for completing the set. And it's more insane than I thought it was going to be.

STAY DISINTERESTED.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, Splain said:

When I was completing my Game Boy loose USA fullset, someone on reddit asked if I was going for label variants. I was happy to not care about those. But after I completed the set, label variants became very interesting to me, sort of a post-game for completing the set. And it's more insane than I thought it was going to be.

STAY DISINTERESTED.

You get an eyeroll because I'm in the same camp. I think you and I started GB collecting at the same time, finished our sets within months of each other and are now working on the variants as well. It is fun (usually) but, yeah, it's a way bigger task than I expected.

Regarding disinterests, to this day I have no desire to get into Xbox gaming and collecting. When Halo 1 & 2 came out, I'd play those with my buddies and I might get an OG XBox one day just for those games, but I could honestly care less about those systems.

Also, with exception to the Switch since it's also a handheld, I care less about any game that connects to an HDTV. I'm not a CRT snob, really, I just got out of gaming around the era we made the switch to HD in the US, and I've just not been interested inodern gaming since then. In another 10 years, (peak PS6 era) I might get into VR gaming if it only gets better but for now, I'm happy to stick with anything from the GameCube era and earlier for a TV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I wouldn’t call this a disinterest - but more of how I order my priorities. But I’m more drawn to the obscure stuff than the hallmark stuff that everyone has.

Hypothetical example:

Let’s say I don’t have something common like Golden Axe. If I see a Golden Axe vs. a more obscure Genesis/MD game like let’s say... Insector X. I’m more likely to put that money towards Insector X. I can play Golden Axe on a million different platforms. Swap Golden Axe for Mario 2 and Insector X for your favorite obscure NES title or something, same principle.

I’m also much more picky about the condition of hallmark titles like say Sonic 2, Golden Axe, Mario, Metroid, Zelda etc. because of the fact that they can be played so many different ways nowadays, so that further influences my priorities. I won’t own any old raggedy copy of Zelda II just to say I have it. I specifically waited for a nice copy of Zelda II.

Oh, you want me to actually answer the question as intended? TG-16. I think the library is cool but those prices are bonkers.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
53 minutes ago, RH said:

You get an eyeroll because I'm in the same camp. I think you and I started GB collecting at the same time, finished our sets within months of each other and are now working on the variants as well. It is fun (usually) but, yeah, it's a way bigger task than I expected.

Regarding disinterests, to this day I have no desire to get into Xbox gaming and collecting. When Halo 1 & 2 came out, I'd play those with my buddies and I might get an OG XBox one day just for those games, but I could honestly care less about those systems.

Also, with exception to the Switch since it's also a handheld, I care less about any game that connects to an HDTV. I'm not a CRT snob, really, I just got out of gaming around the era we made the switch to HD in the US, and I've just not been interested inodern gaming since then. In another 10 years, (peak PS6 era) I might get into VR gaming if it only gets better but for now, I'm happy to stick with anything from the GameCube era and earlier for a TV.

You get an eyeroll because I blame you for getting me into the variants. 😄

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

Yup it is a relief, but still it doesn't help with the curse unless you really limit the bittage, genres, whatever you stick to.

There are the few and far between exceptions, but I typically will not touch sports games, strategy/tactical RPGs, quiz games, shovel ware style puzzles, music games (especially using peripherals to play at all or optimally.)  I won't touch microsoft hardware, and sony I've now mostly dismissed post PS3 because the best stuff has seemingly lost my interest or has better versions on PC anyway.  All that combined helps, a lot.

Problem is, time, mostly unless my kid is free of school work and stuck in her switch or some fun personal thing my game time is after 7:30, realistically more like before 9pm and if she, or whatever wore me out anyway I'm so disengaged I'll do little or nothing as TV recordings on Sling, youtube, netflix, hulu have more value to zone out on as no effort is involved. 🙂

To help combat it further later last year I decided after pruning one thing after another that for me, the best solution was Switch only, PC when Switch doesn't have a rare gotta-have-it, and for retro stick like 95% to just the Gameboy family of handhelds.  By limiting what I'm willing to put time on, it makes it easier to at least start and stick to something finally.

• Like 1

I’m relieved I don’t necessarily care about collecting sealed games. Most times I don’t even care if it’s CIB. I have many games I bought that are cartridge/disc only because they were cheaper. If the price was right, I wouldn’t mind buying a sealed game. I don’t want to pay up for something I can’t play.

For me, it is probably flash carts that save me. I am pretty enthusiastic about playing on real hardware, but I have never cared much if it was real software. I realized after my second big move of my life that I really don't care if I have 40 carts for this or 60 carts for that. I converted most of my collection into flash carts, or into burn disks, or into ODEs, or into HDD mods. Can't say I have regretted that decision much.

I would say that my weakness is grabbing systems because I MIGHT be interested in playing them. I have a hard time divorcing myself from the notion of having infinite free time and wanting to spend it all on a given console library, even when I know I would never get enough time to play all the games for even a few of my consoles. I run into that worry of "but you already got X Y Z and have it all set up and ready to play, what if you want to play it in the future and it isn't doable anymore?". Had a similar problem in my last move; I got rid of a really nice PC CRT thinking I would just find another one the way I randomly found that one. Turns out it isn't so easy to find nice CRTs anymore, or in my area, even any CRT at all! I only have my TV I bought in 2007 left, and if I lose that one to entropy then I'm not sure what I'll do.

Random thought, anybody know if Japanese electronics stores still carry CRTs, even the junk stores, or are they all gone?

• Like 2

I'm actually kind of getting out of collecting.  I took a look at the hobby and realized what I really care about are the games.  I'll admit I'm not planning to get rid of my cool boxed stuff, but I'm glad I don't feel the need to go chasing after loose carts of expensive games anymore.  I guess the nostalgia finally wore off.  Good quality flash devices and the mister have also helped a lot too.

• Like 2

For me, it's everything PlayStation. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, P, you name it, I ain't interested! Gonna ride the N64 fanboy train to the bitter end, lol! 😛

I'm also not a stickler for condition/completeness, so that's also very useful too.

Also:

35 minutes ago, CMR said:

I'm actually kind of getting out of collecting. 

FIRE SALE at CMR's house!!! W00T!!!

Animated GIF

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jeevan said:

CIB N64.  I don't like the cardboard because it isn't as durable as the nes/snes!!!!

I like 64, but don't care bout boxes on that thank god, because if u find one with a box that is decent, it is astronomical in price.

Do you think that their unavailability is connected to your disinterest?

When I was getting gb/c games I didn't even think about getting them cib. Then I started looking for gba games as well. I'm looking for cart + manual and on gba games, most of the time it's some thing like this: cart price = x, cart+manual = 1.3x, cib = 2x. Now, that's actually in my price range so I have to try really hard not to develop intrest in cib gba games (I still prefer to save the money, so I want to keep it as a non-option for me).

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, sg17 said:

Do you think that their unavailability is connected to your disinterest?

When I was getting gb/c games I didn't even think about getting them cib. Then I started looking for gba games as well. I'm looking for cart + manual and on gba games, most of the time it's some thing like this: cart price = x, cart+manual = 1.3x, cib = 2x. Now, that's actually in my price range so I have to try really hard not to develop intrest in cib gba games (I still prefer to save the money, so I want to keep it as a non-option for me).

possibly, but I'm ok with that lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most of the games and genres I don't care for are definitely self reinforcing - maybe I could eventually get enamoured by sports games or racing games, or MOBAs or Call of Duty, it's not that they are necesarily bad. But I'm doing fine not spending time with them.

Occasionally, discovering stuff that I previously thought I'd never have an interest in, such a pinball or first person dungeon crawlers, has ended up being an expensive and/or time consuming relationship. But on the other hand, but I'm grateful that I did end up learning to love them, because there's a lot to gain there. It's hard to really tell until you try.

I also don't want to be a stuck up stubborn naysayer, like @Jeevan consistently refusing to play the single best game made within the past twenty years. 😚

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'm not sure when the boom was or if it was more gradual, but they're both among the most expensive to collect today.

I'd say probably around 15 years ago?

Of course, like everything else they have shot up around 5 or so years ago as well, but early 00s is around when I started noticing shooters being generally the most saught after collectors items, often towering above everything else.

2 hours ago, sg17 said:

I’m super strict when it comes to getting stuff like Genesis or Nintendo DS CIB, but for the love of God trying that with Game Boy would be a hell of a task. I try to get CIB Game Boy stuff when I can, but GB boxes are the perfect blend of pricey and hard to find. I had to un-learn all of my collecting OCD habits from other systems when getting into Game Boy, and if I hadn’t I would have missed out on some cool and harder to find carts in my collection.

I still struggle with this when it comes to some NES and SNES games though. Do I get the cart or do I save up and hold out for the box? The eternal internal struggle.

• Like 1