IGNORED

Odd Gaming Controllers

Guests · Posted

Hey! I searched, but couldn't find a similar topic so here goes. I'm a fan of odd hardware and in particular of odd controllers. I don't actively collect, but I do enjoy reading up about them and occasionally acquiring them. A couple of interesting ones that I own are the UltraRacer 64 and the Arcade Shark for the N64

The UltraRacer 64 I've had for some time and exclusively use it for F-Zero X. It's a pretty nice experience. I am having some troubles with getting the buttons to work properly, but haven't really bothered looking it up or trying too hard to fix it. I don't plug this one in that often anyway.

UltraRacer 64

The Arcade Shark I got just yesterday and so far I've tried just a few games with it and I must say I'm really happy with how it feels. F-Zero X and Starfox 64 controls really well. Mortal Kombat 4, not so much 🙂 This one seems very promising and I'll probably be using it a lot. It will take some time getting used to the button layout though, and I wish the buttons were a bit more clicky, but it is what it is.

Arcade Shark

What are some odd/weird/strange controllers that you own?

Guests · Posted
2 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Got the wu tang clan controller, with box and memory card. Awkward to use though. 

Yup, that's a pretty weird one. The colors are really nice though. 

Guests · Posted
13 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

The arcade shark must be happy to see you

Haha, he does in fact look a bit sad. Maybe I should stop pulling his nose...

Guests · Posted
8 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

yLs526O.jpg

@Hammerfestus That's great! I haven't seen it before. Is that some kind of trackball or oversized joystick?

7 hours ago, nrslam said:

I've got that Ultraracer controller for both N64 and PS1. it's my favorite way to play most racing games.

Meanwhile, here's a picture I took a few years ago of various 3rd party controllers I own for Commodore and Atari systems. Most are pretty common but there are some oddballs in there.

post-3842-0-44774900-1500058829(1).thumb.jpg.5f80acd02102538b785960c69cafd7e8.jpg

@nrslam Awesome collection! The one up top with the yellow ball and also the green one look really interesting. Do you have any recommendations for racing games besides F-Zero X that work well with the Ultra 64?

Thanks for sharing guys! Appreciate the photos as well.

8 hours ago, Mumphy said:

Do you have any recommendations for racing games besides F-Zero X that work well with the Ultra 64?

I used it a lot with Ridge Racer and, iirc, Beetle Adventure Racing (I might be the only person who liked that game).  It worked great if you were mostly doing basic driving operations (steer,accelerate,brake) and wasn't so good for complex button-mashing.  Since I generally prefer simple controls, it was just right for me.

On 1/14/2021 at 2:37 AM, Mumphy said:

@Hammerfestus That's great! I haven't seen it before. Is that some kind of trackball or oversized joystick?

It seems to be like a big stiff joy stick.  Cant really say how it functions though.  Never been taken out of the packaging.  Kind of looks like a big old controller tumor.  PlayStation had some weird ass accessories back when.

Guests · Posted
1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

I bought this monstrosity of a Gamester PS2 controller just for the novelty.

6967D89C-AE90-4644-97D4-12F8936806EB.jpeg

F71BEF94-E06F-4094-A0D6-7FB2732229FF.jpeg

Damn! Very cool. I like the little screen.

• 3 weeks later...

One-handed Super Famicom / Super Nintendo controller for RPGs!

A local shop has a few more of these, and they were made by a local company too.

I'll gladly grab some and sell to people for $25 shipped if anyone wants one. The box has wear, but the controllers are brand new.

IMG20210205015549.jpg

• Like 2

Guests · Posted
4 hours ago, fcgamer said:

One-handed Super Famicom / Super Nintendo controller for RPGs!

A local shop has a few more of these, and they were made by a local company too.

I'll gladly grab some and sell to people for $25 shipped if anyone wants one. The box has wear, but the controllers are brand new.

IMG20210205015549.jpg

That is really cool. Thanks for posting.

Just saw this thread. I love the arcade sticks and weird controllers, especially for N64. This is the stuff I got over the years.

h73aOeq.jpg

Three arcade sticks and I think they were the only ones for the system. The Arcade Shark OP showed, Mad Catz Flight Stick and Quickshot Flight Stick.

zxf3BxJ.jpg

Driving Wheels. The Ultra Racer, AScii Wheel, and V3 Wheel. I think there is one or two other variations of wheels I don't have for the N64 yet.

ydokH2Y.jpg

Some oddball controllers. The "Boomerang," The "Glove," and a couple of the fishing controllers. The left one has a busted rod that I always mean to try and fix but never get around to it

r3Nm2W4.jpg

A couple of interesting accessories. A Tilt Pak which is "motion controls for your N64" and what everyone should have in their collection, a flak jacket...err a Nuby Rumble vest. I actually have two of these but only one has the portion that plugs into the controller. It seems to be just a slightly modified Nuby rumble pack with a wire coming out of it. So it shoud be simple enough to mod one. Another of my many projects I hope to get too one day.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Guests · Posted
11 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Just saw this thread. I love the arcade sticks and weird controllers, especially for N64. This is the stuff I got over the years.

h73aOeq.jpg

Three arcade sticks and I think they were the only ones for the system. The Arcade Shark OP showed, Mad Catz Flight Stick and Quickshot Flight Stick.

zxf3BxJ.jpg

Driving Wheels. The Ultra Racer, AScii Wheel, and V3 Wheel. I think there is one or two other variations of wheels I don't have for the N64 yet.

ydokH2Y.jpg

Some oddball controllers. The "Boomerang," The "Glove," and a couple of the fishing controllers. The left one has a busted rod that I always mean to try and fix but never get around to it

r3Nm2W4.jpg

A couple of interesting accessories. A Tilt Pak which is "motion controls for your N64" and what everyone should have in their collection, a flak jacket...err a Nuby Rumble vest. I actually have two of these but only one has the portion that plugs into the controller. It seems to be just a slightly modified Nuby rumble pack with a wire coming out of it. So it shoud be simple enough to mod one. Another of my many projects I hope to get too one day.

Oh man! Awesome stuff. I was hoping to see more N64 accessories and controllers. Most of these I know about, but the Tilt Pak is new to me. Which games have you tried with it and how does it control? It seems like a really interesting accessory and something I might be interested in getting some day.

The vest is great, haha, and I'm really digging the Mad Catz Flight Stick!
I used to have a V3 Racing Wheel, but got rid of it as I wasn't using it and it took up a lot of space. At the time I was selling off a lot of my stuff.

By the way, do you know about the Vortex controller? Another controller I used to own, but sold off. I thought it might be interesting to you.

n64Vortex.jpg

Edited by Mumphy

1 hour ago, Mumphy said:

Oh man! Awesome stuff. I was hoping to see more N64 accessories and controllers. Most of these I know about, but the Tilt Pak is new to me. Which games have you tried with it and how does it control? It seems like a really interesting accessory and something I might be interested in getting some day.

The vest is great, haha, and I'm really digging the Mad Catz Flight Stick!
I used to have a V3 Racing Wheel, but got rid of it as I wasn't using it and it took up a lot of space. At the time I was selling off a lot of my stuff.

By the way, do you know about the Vortex controller? Another controller I used to own, but sold off. I thought it might be interesting to you.

n64Vortex.jpg

I havnt used the tilt pack extensively but it seemed to work ok the couple times i messed with it. It seems like its just a couple of mercury switches, or something similar  that act as directional input.

Ive seen the Vortex but I think is was European only and didnt want to bother trying to import one.

• Like 1