IGNORED

Odd Gaming Controllers

On 1/17/2021 at 12:37 AM, drxandy said:

I also always thought this one was cool after seeing magazine ads for it: the alps interactive boomerang

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ha.  Me too.  It was so sleek and “modern looking”.  Made me think of Batman too.  I’m sure not unintentionally.  I really should pick one up one day.  They pricey CIB?

Great thread. Seeing some of these cool N64 controllers makes me miss having loose oddball controllers around to use and experience. Ever since I switched to collecting sealed boxed accessories, the accessory collection has turned more into something historical to look at than fun to experience as I've also gotten rid of all the loose doubles for the sake of space.

That rumble vest reminds me of a N64 massage chair "rumble pak" from my childhood. I think it was from Nuby or Interact. I should still have it in an old moving box in the attic, will have to check. Did a quick Google search, but not seeing any results. It was essentially like those massage chair covers that Brookstone used to sell, but then with N64 compatibility:

https://www.soundauctionservice.com/auction/168/item/brookstone-full-body-massage-chair-cushion-39344/basic

• Like 2

Guests · Posted
1 hour ago, Speedy_NES said:

Great thread. Seeing some of these cool N64 controllers makes me miss having loose oddball controllers around to use and experience. Ever since I switched to collecting sealed boxed accessories, the accessory collection has turned more into something historical to look at than fun to experience as I've also gotten rid of all the loose doubles for the sake of space.

That rumble vest reminds me of a N64 massage chair "rumble pak" from my childhood. I think it was from Nuby or Interact. I should still have it in an old moving box in the attic, will have to check. Did a quick Google search, but not seeing any results. It was essentially like those massage chair covers that Brookstone used to sell, but then with N64 compatibility:

https://www.soundauctionservice.com/auction/168/item/brookstone-full-body-massage-chair-cushion-39344/basic

It would be really cool to see some pictures of that! I've never heard of that accessory. 

This is kind of turning into a N64 controller thread, haha, but all weird and odd controllers (and accessories) are welcome 🙂

On 2/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, Mumphy said:

It would be really cool to see some pictures of that! I've never heard of that accessory. 

This is kind of turning into a N64 controller thread, haha, but all weird and odd controllers (and accessories) are welcome 🙂

I went to look for it in the attic, but of the two places where it could be, it wasn't at the easily reachable one. The other place is behind stacks of moving boxes, which I need to sort out in 2-3 months anyway, so I'll see if I can uncover it then and take some pics.

• 2 years later...
On 1/13/2021 at 3:20 PM, Hammerfestus said:

yLs526O.jpg

Saw a few posts about this but not a correct id. The ball is what is sometimes called a "spaceball" in computer peripherals. It's an input device that allows 6DOF input (3 axis rotation, 3 axis position) off of a single object. The company 3Dconnexion still sells these, though they are built for CAD and 3D work and are expensive tools. Spaceballs were a brief fad for gaming controllers with the advent of 3D. Descent was the most famous game to use them, and given how that game has full 6DOF 3D motion, the spaceball is, so I've been told, quite a good fit for it. I haven't had the chance to try it myself, however, so take it as hearsay until you try for yourself.

Pretty sure the reason this PlayStation version exists is for the PlayStation version of descent. I may be mixing it up and there is just another game, like a descent clone or something, but I'm pretty sure it's the same concept whatever the name is.

Edited by koifish
  • Like 1

Too much weird in here, but back in the 90s around when SF2 came out, Capcom did a licensed pad for the SNES (genesis too) that I just had to have for SF2, but ended up working great with a number of other games where you don't have to hardcore rely on L and R being on top to pull the mechanics off.  An unique grip and all 6 buttons on the face made for a comfy time as it's just well made.

Capcom_pad_soldier_front__29002.14434554

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2021 at 4:28 PM, Speedy_NES said:

I went to look for it in the attic, but of the two places where it could be, it wasn't at the easily reachable one. The other place is behind stacks of moving boxes, which I need to sort out in 2-3 months anyway, so I'll see if I can uncover it then and take some pics.

Whatever happened to finding the chair?

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Whatever happened to finding the chair?

I did find it while movers were helping pack for the move to the US. It entered a storage facility with the rest of my collection; planning to, hopefully securely, move the collection overseas sooner than later, after which I will have access again.