IGNORED

Game Debate #31: Castlevania

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll (Reed's favorites)

• Ikaruga
    • Deadly Premonition
    • Darkest Dungeon
    • Professor Layton & the Curious Village
    • Dragon Age: Origins

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

would u rather me give this a 2?

You know he does have a point, even if it's being overblown, obnoxious, and overly defensive.  Rating something low that hasn't been touched in decades does seem a bit petty, cheap, or at the least lazy.  I really don't care if you change it, but the reasoning originally, and then over the behavior seems to be feeding bad to worse.

• Sad 1

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

You know he does have a point, even if it's being overblown, obnoxious, and overly defensive.  Rating something low that hasn't been touched in decades does seem a bit petty, cheap, or at the least lazy.  I really don't care if you change it, but the reasoning originally, and then over the behavior seems to be feeding bad to worse.

from my experience back then i would rate it that.  I liked 2 better than 1  so the 6 still stands 😒

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/9/2021 at 1:14 PM, Tulpa said:

Have you seen dudes do the leather whip challenge? (No upgrades or secondary weapons, hearts can be gathered but not used, meat allowed.)

Those runs are insane.

I can't imagine beating Death with just the leather whip.

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

I'm just on mobile so I like short and sweet.  I will write novels for @Sumezfrom now on 😆

If you like short and sweet, then can you get rid of that GIGANTIC signature that I have to scroll past every time I see one of your posts?  My scroll-wheel finger is becoming overly muscular from the neverending workouts that your posts have forced me to endure...   😛

• Haha 2

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

If you like short and sweet, then can you get rid of that GIGANTIC signature that I have to scroll past every time I see one of your posts?  My scroll-wheel finger is becoming overly muscular from the neverending workouts that your posts have forced me to endure...   😛

You voted potato 🥔.   checks out!  I will see if I can appease you when I get to a computer, but consider it training for the next poll!  😏

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Better?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I can't imagine beating Death with just the leather whip.

Principles are the same, you just need to whip him a shitload of times.

Main thing about the scythes is that once they commit to moving, they can't change direction until they pause for a few seconds. You have to really be precise with jumping and mind the hitboxes, but you can bunch them up and take them out with a whip, and that will buy you precious seconds.

Edited by Tulpa

Editorials Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

I gladly give this game a 10/10 

Its a marriage between parody, good gameplay, great music, and nostalgia.

Are there better games? Yes.

Can this game be better? Also Yes.

But 10/10 doesn’t mean perfect, it just means it’s one of the best games.

10/10, at least as far as this thread series goes, means it is one of your personal favorite games.

Deadly Premonition is far from perfect (obviously).  But I'd contemplate a 10 for it.

9/10. beat it for the first time last year (the pandemic gave me a long-overdue chance to beat a bunch of games i'd always wanted to!). the first Castlevania had long been in my "played it as a kid, someday i'll come back to it as an adult" plan, and i fell in love. stuck it out and powered through the game without using walkthroughs, youtube, or googling tips/strategies. 

the music is top notch, the level design is practically flawless, and the game just exudes atmosphere. the controls take some getting used to, especially stairs and jumping, but i never thought that it felt cheap or poorly configured. 

yes the holy water is overpowered. but i've always preferred the throwing ax. once you get the arc down, it is fantastic!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, twiztor said:

yes the holy water is overpowered. but i've always preferred the throwing ax. once you get the arc down, it is fantastic!

Honestly, unlike Ghosts 'n Goblins, all the weapons in Castlevania are pretty good. Even proper use of the stop-watch can be a potent tool in some situations, despite chewing through ammo like a Texan at a country fair.

• Like 1

10 ...Area man eats pork chop found in wall, feels better afterward... would have made a great advertising slogan.

...I actually played Castlevania II first and then the original which, I think, gave both I and II a chance to be my favorite before III usurped the crown for all time.

...Always thought it strange that the "holy Water" is referred to in the manual as a "fire bomb."

...Axes are without a doubt the most fun/best overall Sub-weapon and the 2nd best with which to go after the Reaper.

...One of the Greatest Of All Time... ...even back in the day when I had no idea that using a sub-weapon would precipitate the double/triple shot and had to go after characters like Frank/Igor and the Reaper with only a whip and a dagger...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PII said:

...Always thought it strange that the "holy Water" is referred to in the manual as a "fire bomb."

True, and the boomerang is the cross in the Japanese versions of Castlevania games. No doubt it has something to do with Nintendo of America's censorship of religious things (you can see it in other games, too).