IGNORED

Game Debate #31: Castlevania

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll (Reed's favorites)

• Ikaruga
    • Deadly Premonition
    • Darkest Dungeon
    • Professor Layton & the Curious Village
    • Dragon Age: Origins

22 hours ago, PII said:

10 ...Area man eats pork chop found in wall, feels better afterward... would have made a great advertising slogan.

...I actually played Castlevania II first and then the original which, I think, gave both I and II a chance to be my favorite before III usurped the crown for all time.

...Always thought it strange that the "holy Water" is referred to in the manual as a "fire bomb."

...Axes are without a doubt the most fun/best overall Sub-weapon and the 2nd best with which to go after the Reaper.

Really, the axe? Do you mean cross/boomerang? I don't like the axe.

51 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Really, the axe? Do you mean cross/boomerang? I don't like the axe.

Yeah, totally.  The boomerang is definitely easier to use effectively but the Axe can take out anything above, you, below, all around really.  It just takes a bit more doing to get a feel for its arc/range.  It feels really rewarding though when you do get comfortable with it.  That's my opinion anyway..

2 hours ago, elprincipe said:

True, and the boomerang is the cross in the Japanese versions of Castlevania games. No doubt it has something to do with Nintendo of America's censorship of religious things (you can see it in other games, too).

Yeah, apparently the Japanese public was mature enough to handle it and we in the U.S. were not, lol.

Completely ignoring pure power and poor balancing of subweapons, the axe is probably my favourite as well, purely in terms of utility.
Every single enemy that might give you issues in terms of positioning gets completely negated by the axe, no matter if it's above you, below you or ahead of you - the axe will hit it. Erratic unpredictable birds bothering you? Axe the hell out of them.

9 hours ago, PII said:

Yeah, apparently the Japanese public was mature enough to handle it and we in the U.S. were not, lol.

We really weren't, to be honest. Considering all the things Christian moms were constantly trying to get banned in America, I don't really blame Nintendo for wanting to avoid all of that nonsense.

• 3 months later...