IGNORED

Is It Blasphemous to Display Boxed NES Games On Their Side? (Poll) ***NOT DOUBLE STACKED - SEE FIRST POST FOR PIC***

DoctorEncore

Should I?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Is it Blasphemous To Display Boxed NES Games On Their Side?

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I have had a few ideas similar to this, but I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice the space for the front facing boxes. Now if the front facing boxes were mounted on another hidden cabinet. Well then... *chef's kiss*

Of course! What a perfect place to hide 216 copies of NES Play Action Football!

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.6cb276ba1e1d91b58dc7d56d84beb87d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe I'm just weird, but it looks "wrong" (for lack of a better word) putting NES games on their side.  One of the aspects of NES boxes that makes them far superior to SNES and N64 boxes for me is that they can be shelved like books and look really sharp in their intended orientation.

And I do understand the space issue for people who live in small apartments and bachelor pads, but since you're a doctor, I'm assuming you have an entire house to work with, no?  I mean, c'mon, man 😛  I collect arcade games, so don't even talk to me about space issues for piddly little NES games...

• Haha 2

I voted "Burn the Witch!" because somebody put a fake nose on you. The obviously fake nose did look real because, lets face the facts, it is 2020. 😉

But on a more serious note... I see no issues as long as it looks good and offers a clear enough narrative that non-game collectors have an idea on what you collect. Which is what I am trying to do while I work on 'phase 1' of my collection.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Maybe I'm just weird, but it looks "wrong" (for lack of a better word) putting NES games on their side.  One of the aspects of NES boxes that makes them far superior to SNES and N64 boxes for me is that they can be shelved like books and look really sharp in their intended orientation.

And I do understand the space issue for people who live in small apartments and bachelor pads, but since you're a doctor, I'm assuming you have an entire house to work with, no?  I mean, c'mon, man 😛  I collect arcade games, so don't even talk to me about space issues for piddly little NES games...

I agree that it does look wrong, so I just had to ask. I've got like six more Billy's to build so I won't need the space immediately, but I kind of want to try...

7 hours ago, Gloves said:

Secret holy grail find! R@RE! BUY IT!

I promise you none of my NES games are actually worth anything.

Ha, sure, but I had to ask.  It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looked like there might have been a sticker on the box.

I still think you're a monster, alas, aren't we all in some form or fashion?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Count said:

I guess I don't see any tangible benefit. You aren't utilizing the created space above the games, because of course you aren't double stacking them, right. That said, you may as well showcase more of the box art, as in the spine and not the top cover.

Well the shelves are moveable, so I would shorten the height of each shelf which would almost double storage capacity of the bookcase.

10 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

"A", "An", and "The" are typically ignored when sorting content titles alphabetically.

"A Boy and His Blob" is a "B" title.

"A Nightmare on Elm Street" is an "N" title.

"The Legend of Zelda" is an "L" title.

I guess that also means you can ignore "Les" in "Les Chevaliers du Zodiaque : La Légende D'or " and "Die" in "Die Schümpfe"

I agree with all of those except for Elm Street, that’s how it was sorted on whatever list I stole years ago to track my collection so I’ve always had it under A

I don' think it's blasphemous to do that, but I also don't really care for the look.  If space is an issue and you are using regular bookcases with deep shelves, it will certainly allow you to store more games.  I assume you will need to purchase extra shelves, but that probably isn't a big deal.  I suppose when it's all said and done, it might not look that bad.  It will probably look better once all of your games are setup that way.  I would be very curious to see a picture of the final product.  

• Like 1

I feel this thread, I had to make this same decision with n64 games on my billy bookcase. Ended up with the same way you were thinking doc, 2 rows to a shelf. The box protectors take the stress (I wanna believe!)

20200521_122938.thumb.jpg.e885246a754e86e813d660bc6818d008.jpg

This was the easiest example picture on my phone, there's still a gap at the top but they look nice and uniform.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but years ago I kept my games on deep shelves like those and since space was also an issue for me at the time, I went two games deep.  However, I didn't want to keep the games in the back hidden by the games in the front, so I made smaller shelves that lifted the games up about half way.  So the game in the front are completely visible, and the game in the back are about half visible.  It may or may not be ideal, but it's another option.  

Here is an OLD picture as an example.  

Collection 32.jpg

• Like 2

I think this is a better way to store games , I'd imagine larger surface space on which they are resting prevents the box from getting warped or damaged from gravity or other natural forces.

Doesn't look as good, but it's better for the box, and also can fit more boxes, so it's a win - win.

• Like 1