IGNORED

Is It Blasphemous to Display Boxed NES Games On Their Side? (Poll) ***NOT DOUBLE STACKED - SEE FIRST POST FOR PIC***

DoctorEncore

Should I?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Is it Blasphemous To Display Boxed NES Games On Their Side?

As I've been painfully reminded over the last couple weeks while unpacking my CIB NES collection, games take up a ton of space. As I filled in shelf after shelf of my new Billy Bookcases, I was struck by just how inefficient it is to display NES games in the standard vertical orientation. As I pondered that thought and looked to the rest of my collection, I noticed that, in contrast, N64 boxes store and display rather neatly since they are designed to lay horizontally. This makes much more efficient use of the depth of the Billy bookcases.

Then it hit me! Why not just lay NES games on their side with the top facing outward? This would add many more shelves per bookcase and greatly increase storage capacity. I mean, why do we insist on placing NES boxes vertically anyways? It's not like you can see the cover art unless you have a few display games facing outward. In almost all cases (I'm looking at you Black Bass), laying them horizontally with the top facing out simply gives you a smaller version of the title logo.

So, what do you all think? Blasphemy? Genius? Irrelevant?

IMG_20201217_191615.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Is It Blasphemous to Display Boxed NES Games On Their Side? (Poll)
Events Helper · Posted

It's weird......but they are yours.........

If i had room I would do this....granted it is a new picture of newer games, but just imagine these are nes games

Speaking of Blockbuster, who remembers GameCrazy? : gaming

The only really really good way is to display them front out 😛  I would even put a little tag with a number on it 😉  jk/jk

Anyway, I would go nuts doing it that way personally, but I also don't have a full set and am very far away from it 😛 

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Is It Blasphemous to Display Boxed NES Games On Their Side? (Poll) ***NOT DOUBLE STACKED - SEE FIRST POST FOR PIC***
46 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

The proper way is face forward, the only other alternative is diagonally facing forward to maximize shelf space if you have a large collection.

Anything else is simply heresy.

44 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

It's weird......but they are yours.........

If i had room I would do this....granted it is a new picture of newer games, but just imagine these are nes games

The only really really good way is to display them front out 😛  I would even put a little tag with a number on it 😉  jk/jk

Anyway, I would go nuts doing it that way personally, but I also don't have a full set and am very far away from it 😛 

If only this much floor space was readily available... When I renovate and expand into the attic, I actually would have space to put up a double sided shelf in the middle of the room, but I'm not sure I want to go for that level of commitment. We shall see...

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, DoctorEncore said:

If only this much space was readily available... When I renovate and expand into the attic space, I actually would have space to put up a double sided shelf in the middle of the room, but I'm not sure I want to go for that level of commitment. We shall see...

Oh, how I miss the days of shelving with little hooks and tags on them so you could see if the game was in or not.  Good ole' video game rental stores.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
54 minutes ago, RH said:

I answered to soon and I didn't know you had a sample. Consider my "burn the witch!" a "no".

What so thought you meant was laying them flat and then stacking them on top of each other. THOSE witches need to be burned.

What, like this? 

PXL_20201218_022440299.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

28 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

I've done it like that for a while. Though I do want to change it up and do some forward facing

I'm thinking that I could leave a double space at the top of the bookcase. I could do vertical games in the back and then have space in front for displaying valuable/favorite games in nice acrylic cases and get the best of both worlds. I will update in the shelving thread if I do.

Here's what I plan on building one day soon.

It can display 48 NES games face forward, and the other garbage will fit inside.

I can also rearrage it to hold exactly 48 SNES/N64 games face forward as well, simply by adding in extra shelves. 4 SNES boxes will fit 3 NES boxes high!

The plan is to make 2 NES shelves like this...an additional NES shelf with just sideways displayed NES boxes, one SNES shelf, and one N64 shelf.

a.jpg.ff3d4d49eee365b171a37ba5253ef86f.jpg

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, Foochie776 said:

What’s blasphemy is nightmare on elm street is under N and not A

"A", "An", and "The" are typically ignored when sorting content titles alphabetically.

"A Boy and His Blob" is a "B" title.

"A Nightmare on Elm Street" is an "N" title.

"The Legend of Zelda" is an "L" title.

I guess that also means you can ignore "Les" in "Les Chevaliers du Zodiaque : La Légende D'or " and "Die" in "Die Schümpfe"

Edited by ThePhleo

14 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Here's what I plan on building one day soon.

It can display 48 NES games face forward, and the other garbage will fit inside.

I can also rearrage it to hold exactly 48 SNES/N64 games face forward as well, simply by adding in extra shelves. 4 SNES boxes will fit 3 NES boxes high!

The plan is to make 2 NES shelves like this...an additional NES shelf with just sideways displayed NES boxes, one SNES shelf, and one N64 shelf.

a.jpg.ff3d4d49eee365b171a37ba5253ef86f.jpg

I have had a few ideas similar to this, but I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice the space for the front facing boxes. Now if the front facing boxes were mounted on another hidden cabinet. Well then... *chef's kiss*

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

I miss my Game Crazy right next to Casa Bonita.  Had a dude who always set aside the Nintendo games for me.  The priciest one I bought there was Kid Icarus for $15 and I was almost reluctant to pay it.  Grabbed $3 controllers all day long too.

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I miss my Game Crazy right next to Casa Bonita.  Had a dude who always set aside the Nintendo games for me.  The priciest one I bought there was Kid Icarus for $15 and I was almost reluctant to pay it.  Grabbed $3 controllers all day long too.

honestly never heard of these, but thats awesome.  I used to frequent the ones i mentioned and a place called video game world.

All local places of course!

• Like 1

As you say regarding space, I put them on their sides like in your sample pic out of necessity. I also double stack out of necessity. I only have 52 NES games - I only buy what I'll play - but 26 + 2 (4 more games I'd like to get) spaces is about all I can muster given everything else.

Blasphemy to some, maybe, but my games are all well protected and maintained, and their condition is all exactly the same now as when I got them. I've often thought that when I build my next house, I will triple the game room size and face everything Nintendo in the third I reserve for a replica store electronics department (Sears in the 80's/early 90's for example). Until then, it is what it is.

At the end of the day DoctorEncore, I'm sure whatever you decide will be the way to go for you and you'll be happy with the result!

• Like 2