IGNORED

Wata - A year and a half after

TheBiRD

Wata - A year and a half after  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Is Wata a good thing for the hobby?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

I just keep getting a weird vibe a guy named Jeff Meyer is listed on the Wata SEC filing, if its the same Jeff Meyer who owns Go Collect and bought the “Carolina” collection and NA and is selling that collection on Clink and HA. Am I over reading into it? Or does it feel like a big conflict of interest. Maybe just a different Jeff Meyer. 🙄 Gut check here people. Now Go Collect is sponsoring video game conventions. I totally get the capitalist fervor. Gotta respect the hustle!

Maybe someone with better knowledge of corporate structure and such can educate me. 

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1711064/000171106418000002/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml

A4F1147A-9FD3-401E-BCC7-AC9DE9149850.jpeg

If that's true it's right up there with that guy on eBay who was pushing his self graded "collector quality games". No idea if he's still around but it was aggravating running into his nonsense all the time.

I mentioned a couple times on NA but I think the whole Carolina collection pedigree was bullshit. Doubly so if he's the one assigning it to himself. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lincoln said:

If that's true it's right up there with that guy on eBay who was pushing his self graded "collector quality games". No idea if he's still around but it was aggravating running into his nonsense all the time.

I mentioned a couple times on NA but I think the whole Carolina collection pedigree was bullshit. Doubly so if he's the one assigning it to himself. 

I agree with you. Definitely not a fan of pedigrees either. At this point I think the only one that makes sense to me is The White Mountain Collection. And even then it’s only because it’s piggybacking off the comic pedigree. 

2 hours ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

I just keep getting a weird vibe a guy named Jeff Meyer is listed on the Wata SEC filing, if its the same Jeff Meyer who owns Go Collect and bought the “Carolina” collection and NA and is selling that collection on Clink and HA. Am I over reading into it? Or does it feel like a big conflict of interest. Maybe just a different Jeff Meyer. 🙄 Gut check here people. Now Go Collect is sponsoring video game conventions. I totally get the capitalist fervor. Gotta respect the hustle!

Maybe someone with better knowledge of corporate structure and such can educate me. 

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1711064/000171106418000002/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml

A4F1147A-9FD3-401E-BCC7-AC9DE9149850.jpeg

Careful there bud.  Anytime you post anything that fails the smell-test, threats of libel get tossed around.

Moderator · Posted
12 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

What does being a “director”  of a corporation even mean? 

Why would someone be on the SEC list anyways?

Typically a manager of managers. Someone directly responsible for putting company policy into place. Often times in public companies they are on a stock gift/option program. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Typically a manager of managers. Someone directly responsible for putting company policy into place. Often times in public companies they are on a stock gift/option program. 

This is akin to owning Chipotle stock and eating there as well, no?

Edited by BeaglePuss
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BeaglePuss said:

More like owning Chipotle and having them authenticate your own burrito with a built in perceived value inflator (the bullshit Carolina nonsense) and then selling said burrito at a price set by your very own burrito price tracking site.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, BeaglePuss said:

Bro, before this came to light, your brother actually suggested that WATA putting HA fliers in their packages was something untoward and abnormal. That’s the kind of BS I was responding to, citing that as evidence of anything is garbage and you know it. I was never comfortable with the presentation of the SMB sale and absolutely agree HA had a moral obligation to disclose their investment in it, but in the end the market will speak for itself. You still need buyers. 

Edited by ExplodedHamster

5 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Bro, before this came to light, your brother actually suggested that WATA putting HA fliers in their packages was something untoward and abnormal. That’s the kind of BS I was responding to, citing that as evidence of anything is garbage and you know it. I was never comfortable with the presentation of the SMB sale and absolutely agree HA had a moral obligation to disclose their self-interest, but in the end the market will speak for itself. You still need suckers.

Fixed it*

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

The optics on the document above aren’t very good if that is indeed the same GoCollect Jeff. It essentially means he likely gave a cash investment for equity in the company, now being an “owner” he is having them grade his personal Carolina Collection which are being sold by someone else attached to the company. 

I’m a big fan of Kenneth and Deniz, I sure hope they have controls in place during grading if this is the case to ensure no bias. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

Fixed it*

People pay crazy money for all sorts of shit. Cars they never use, coins, comics, cards, stamps, houses, pinball machines, etc. I don’t understand it, but who am I to tell people what makes them happy? Everyone seemed thrilled for Bronty, as am I, but I gotta be honest, I could not possibly be less interested in game art. I’d rather have a sealed Contra than the original Contra art and the price difference could possibly buy a house. 

Why do people like art, anyway? 

(No offense, Bronty!)

3 minutes ago, doner24 said:

The optics on the document above aren’t very good if that is indeed the same GoCollect Jeff. It essentially means he likely gave a cash investment for equity in the company, now being an “owner” he is having them grade his personal Carolina Collection which are being sold by someone else attached to the company. 

I’m a big fan of Kenneth and Deniz, I sure hope they have controls in place during grading if this is the case to ensure no bias. 

I'm genuinely interested to see how this is going to be spun/justified.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, doner24 said:

There’s no way around it looking bad. I think there is still a way to have controls in place, even where pedigrees are concerned (I’m sure there must be and there are in comics), but this is something Deniz might consider addressing from a PR perspective, especially after NA got gutted. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, doner24 said:

That is pretty sketchy. I know Deniz and Ken are super busy, but I would love to hear from one of them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ExplodedHamster said:

There’s no way around it looking awful. I’m not even sure how it’s possible to have controls in place when items are set aside as a pedigree and everyone knows who bought it. That being said, I still trust Deniz and Kenneth to grade it fairly, but yikes. 

Bronty didn't trust VGA to grade Rarebucky's stuff objectively because he submitted too much lol.

24 minutes ago, BeaglePuss said:

Bronty didn't trust VGA to grade Rarebucky's stuff objectively because he submitted too much lol.

I don’t want to speak for Bronty, but I think he was simply using it as evidence that it would be impossible to create a grading company that could not be potentially perceived as having a conflict of interest. I don’t think he was suggesting anything untoward was actually happening, just highlighting someone could always potentially cite to something.

Everything I’ve seen from Bucky has been fairly graded, as far as I’m concerned. That dude is too much of a stickler to buy shit to begin with. He always makes his games on Ebay look like they have serious flaws, then you get them and need to take out the magnifying glass to find any issues. 

1 minute ago, ExplodedHamster said:

I don’t want to speak for him, but I think he was simply using it as evidence that it would be impossible to create a grading company that could not be potentially perceived as having a conflict of interest. I don’t think he was suggesting anything untoward was actually happening, just highlighting someone could always potentially cite to something. 

If you think that someone submitting too many games can be viewed as a potential conflict of interest, I'd have to imagine you'd take a far harsher stance regarding Jeff's direct involvement with WATA.  I have a sinking suspicion certain people will be ok with it though.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BeaglePuss said:

If you think that someone submitting too many games can be viewed as a potential conflict of interest, I'd have to imagine you'd take a far harsher stance regarding Jeff's direct involvement with WATA.  I have a sinking suspicion certain people will be ok with it though.  

I don’t think you’re addressing me, rather Bronty, but I will say I think this actually further highlights the difficulty of creating a grading company free from perceived bias. Generally, there’s no issue with investors partaking in businesses they invest in, consuming their products, or profiting from them. Where grading is concerned, it’s essentially an impossible relationship to create and foster without creating the perception of bias. I don’t think anyone would ever invest in a grading company if they were told they were unable to participate in the growing market, however, so therein lies the problem. 

I think what’s essentially left is whether people trust Deniz and Kenneth to grade free from bias. From a PR perspective, of course, most people don’t know them like we do. That’s a tough obstacle to overcome. 

• Like 1

Video game grading is bullshit because it's not standardized. That's the main problem, not conflict of interest and stuff. God help those who think graded games are worth more money because the grades mean nothing. Grades only have meaning when coming from a universally recognised and accepted body and right now there isn't one. 

Also, fuck Go Collect for trying to take over the video game hobby scene. May they burn to ashes.

/hate

• Like 1