IGNORED

Wata - A year and a half after

TheBiRD

Wata - A year and a half after  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Is Wata a good thing for the hobby?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, arch_8ngel said:

Thought the comic book connection with him was common knowledge, but I guess that info probably did the rounds fairly early on in his time on the forum and never came up again.

Nah, I didn't know about that.  But I saw his collection on instagram a long time ago and obviously all that money that went into his collection, he didn't earn.  At first at least.  Also to have a home big enough to fit all that stuff.  Takes money to makes money.

I've met his dad; he's a wonderful guy.   But I think long-term, dedicated and knowledgeable comic collector is a better way to describe him.      From what he told me he doesn't typically spend a fortune on any particular book, but enjoys the hobby and enjoys having a large and wonderful collection, but he's not flipping million dollar books which is what some might think when 'big-time' is the description.   He's buying books for a few hundred or few thousand and keeping them for the most part.    

He did open a store to sell some overstock but I think that's more fun for him than any attempt at making money.

Edited by Bronty

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I've met his dad; he's a wonderful guy.   But I think long-term, dedicated and knowledgeable comic collector is a better way to describe him.      From what he told me he doesn't typically spend a fortune on any particular book, but enjoys the hobby and enjoys having a large and wonderful collection, but he's not flipping million dollar books which is what some might think when 'big-time' is the description.   He's buying books for a few hundred or few thousand and keeping them for the most part.    He's a big-time awesome collector and probably spends a lot on his collection but again, he's basically buy and hold with amounts he can afford . 

He did open a store to sell some overstock but I think that's more fun for him than any attempt at making money.

I don't mean to say he isn't a great guy.

I  haven't met him, so I don't have any opinion on how he is as a person.

I just knew that he was deep enough in the comic book hobby that he had the store you mentioned and that Deniz had been raised with a ton of exposure to comic collecting and it had pretty clearly shaped his attitudes toward video game collecting all along.

But yeah... "big time" is probably not the right term in the context of comic books where the big time are literally millions of dollars 😛  (I'll stand correct on that one!)

Edited by arch_8ngel

I can’t speak to that; I didn’t necessarily get that sense (about Deniz’s attitudes being shaped).   Maybe.    More to the point though his dad had some connections in comics and Deniz took those and ran with them - he’s really very well spoken and a good marketer so that’s no surprise. 

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I can’t speak to that; I didn’t necessarily get that sense (about Deniz’s attitudes being shaped).   Maybe.    More to the point though his dad had some connections in comics and Deniz took those and ran with them - he’s really very well spoken and a good marketer so that’s no surprise. 

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, since we're talking early-days of the forum.

And it very well could have simply been hard to distinguish the "comic collector" side of how Deniz went about things from the "excited very young guy in the hobby" side of things 😛

The way I see it is the kid woke up on 3rd base, got helped building a disgustingly huge collection and decided to move it to the 'big time'.  The issue is, to most of 'us', we don't want that to be big time.  We like finding deals and stuff.  The thing I find disingenuous is to me, it seems like they're trying to sell a bill of goods to big time collectors that don't know any better as the next big thing and to get in now before its too late.  These are moving at thousands of dollars, whether those prices are valid or not.  Most of 'us' didn't get our stuff as an investment and that rubs people the wrong way.  I dont think these things will affect us (NES as a whole is shifting down looking at prices on Zelda, Contra, Mike Tyson), but the attitude seems to me, go against the grain of why people got into this.  Personally, I don't like it either (esp to me, it wasn't earned) and as I said, it takes money to make money.  Maybe im wrong, but that's all imma say on that now.

• Like 2

Just now, arch_8ngel said:

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, since we're talking early-days of the forum.

And it very well could have simply been hard to distinguish the "comic collector" side of how Deniz went about things from the "excited very young guy in the hobby" side of things 😛

I’m not sure, but from my short time with them it seemed clear that dad knew much more about comics than Deniz.   He was about games. 

Just now, Bronty said:

I’m not sure, but from my short time with them it seemed clear that dad knew much more about comics than Deniz.   He was about games. 

Oh, no doubt.  I guess I just always had the impression he grew up steeped in the attitudes of how comic collectors view their hobby (not necessarily the deeper knowledge of comics themselves) and he applied that to HIS interest - games.

Nothing right or wrong about it, IMO.  Just how it always struck me.  (but again... always tricky to separate that sense/recollection from the obvious generational divide of him being a young teenager and the rest of us being adults)

Just now, guitarzombie said:

I'm not, but what did I say was not true about that?

1.  You implied that he did this as a means by which to boost the value of his collection when the stuff he collected isn’t even the stuff that’s going up

2.  You seem to think wata was handed to him when in fact from what I’ve seen he’s worked absurdly hard at it.   It is SO difficult to convert people from one hobby to another.   Remember Brians Toys and how they thought selling VGA’d NES to action figure guys would be easy?   They made zero strides.   Deniz made it look easy.   

Maybe over all, but like I said, I think a MAJORITY of the people here like buying our stuff cheap because the hobby compared to other things is pretty cheap.  When someone comes in and instantly has a huge collection where other people took years, its a bit disheartening.  As I said, the issue people are having is the way its being presented even though on the whole, it wont affect you.  People selling out for the dollar and not continuing the hobby.

So far, all you’ve really said is that your jealous he got help from his dad.   Am I wrong?   I mean... who are we to opine on how their family did things.    He turned out okay.   Dad seemed like a kind and wise person.   I have trouble taking issue with any of it.    

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

1.  You implied that he did this as a means by which to boost the value of his collection when the stuff he collected isn’t even the stuff that’s going up

2.  You seem to think wata was handed to him when in fact from what I’ve seen he’s worked absurdly hard at it.   It is SO difficult to convert people from one hobby to another.   Remember Brians Toys and how they thought selling VGA’d NES to action figure guys would be easy?   They made zero strides.   Deniz made it look easy.   

Not to boost HIS value, but to capitalize on it.  NES is cooler than ever in the past 5 years, but all these prices are for INCREDIBLY niche items.  Sealed, first print NES black box games.  Also, I don't think WATA was handed to him, its still WORK to run a business.  But he certainly seems to have had quite a few advantages.  Thats what I meant.

3 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Not to boost HIS value, but to capitalize on it.  NES is cooler than ever in the past 5 years, but all these prices are for INCREDIBLY niche items.  Sealed, first print NES black box games.  Also, I don't think WATA was handed to him, its still WORK to run a business.  But he certainly seems to have had quite a few advantages.  Thats what I meant.

Okay, lets set up a system where no one gets any advantages.   How do we do that.    Communism?

More to the point, instead of being envious of another person's advantages, be grateful for your own.   I guarantee you that you and I are better off than a lot of people in this world.

Edited by Bronty
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

So far, all you’ve really said is that your jealous he got help from his dad.   Am I wrong?   I mean... who are we to opine on how their family did things.    He turned out okay.   Dad seemed like a kind and wise person.   I have trouble taking issue with any of it.    

Agreed.

I definitely didn't make my initial comment to stir the pot, just to help connect the dots on why Deniz and WATA were connected to comic book people to begin with.

• Like 1

Just now, Bronty said:

So what's the answer?   Communism?

No.  Im not jealous, I got everything I want and am not looking for more.  But the whole situation just rubs me the wrong way and most other people too who like their 'cheap' hobby.  I think what YOU do is awesome with all that art work.  Its just with these game that seem to be WAY more common than a flimsy pieces of paper that somehow lasted 50+ years as an 'investment'?  No thanks.

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Okay, lets set up a system where no one gets any advantages.   How do we do that.    Communism?

More to the point, instead of being jealous of another person's advantages, be grateful for your own.   I guarantee you that you and I are better off than a lot of people in this world.

No offense Bronty, but as one of the few among us trading in original artwork, he already knows you're better off that most people in the world 😉 😛

• Haha 1

Just now, guitarzombie said:

No.  Im not jealous, I got everything I want and am not looking for more.  But the whole situation just rubs me the wrong way and most other people too who like their 'cheap' hobby.  I think what YOU do is awesome with all that art work.  Its just with these game that seem to be WAY more common than a flimsy pieces of paper that somehow lasted 50+ years as an 'investment'?  No thanks.

I appreciate it and hope I don't come off too snarky.    I'm just trying to provide my own perspective from someone that's been involved in some of this, and the truth is a lot less exciting and nefarious than sometimes gets asserted.

Its fine!  I have no issues with anyone on here, I just that whole thing seems disingenuous.  Thats all.  I keep saying, maybe I'm wrong but thats how I see it at.  All we can do is see how it plays out.  

I said what I wanted to say and thats all.  Not looking for more fights, and now I need to get back to work lotting these Xbox 360 games.  😡🔫

Edited by guitarzombie

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

No offense Bronty, but as one of the few among us trading in original artwork, he already knows you're better off that most people in the world 😉 😛

Well, I don't look at it that way, I was very fortunate in a lot of ways and worked hard in some other ways and as a result I was able to collect some cool things.

I don't feel any different though inside then when I was a kid buying $2 comics or when I was a 20something buying 50 dollar games. 

• Haha 1