IGNORED

Rant: So, is UPS worse than the USPS?

I had a billing issue with UPS. Well, I purchased a defective item and the company had UPS pick it up to ship it back (it was very heavy), and then I got stuck with a UPS bill. At any rate, I just wanted to pay it off. I rarely use UPS. So...

I went to the UPS Store, but apparently they can't process billings. I'm not sure why? They are the UPS store after all. But no, they said go online.

Online payment did not work.

Called the general number, no. Doesn't work. Spoke with someone via facebook, they said call this other number. SO called this new number. They give me yet another number. Called this third number, spoke with someone. Spoke with someone. After an hour, transferred me to online billing but that failed. Had to do the whole thing again, maybe it went through, maybe not. Apparently I have to wait 24-48 hours just to find out if this frustration is done. 

So yeah, wow, I really hate UPS right now. 

What do all of you use when shipping games etc? Do people generally stick to USPS? FedEx? Something else? Or,have people had good experiences with UPS and did I just get the shit-end of the UPS stick? Basically, what's the least frustrating way to ship things? 

you got roped in by the UPS game.  i had this happen once and have never been back.

As for shipping i use USPS.  they are easy to do a insurance clam with. and the tracking is simple.  they tend to be the lowest on first class mail.

8 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I think generally Post Offices are the way to do shipping. The exceptions being certain countries such as Italy, Brazil, et cetera which are shit either due to country laws and/or the actual Post being a problem.

when shipping out from them.  but i would still use the USPS to ship to.

just make sure you keep the description of what your shipping as vague as possible (theft dose happen) but that is why you get the insurance.

18 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

That’s a lot of hassle.  Should’ve just ignored bill.  If they want their money let them get ahold of you.

yep it was not your bill it was the company receiving it was their broken item (did you do an RMA number or just ship back???

45 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

only problem is if they tried to take to collections?  not sure if they do it.....

I’m not even saying don’t pay it out of principle; I’m saying don’t let them jerk you around trying to pay a bill that shouldn’t have been your responsibility in the first place.  After the store and the website didn’t work I’m out.  

• Like 2

When I had my hassle with a “missing” package and the buyer claiming he never got his game, I was able to contact his local post office to ask what’s up. With the tracking number, USPS had been able to track every minor detail of that package’s movement (far more than the online tracking tool will tell you - they’ve got this stuff in their extensive database in case issues such as mine arise) and we were able to locate the package easily and figure out what happened. I doubt UPS or FedEx is willing to go to those lengths.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

no..... 😞 lol

Absolutely yes.  While every service has the occasional "lost" package, I've never had USPS mark something as delivered, tell me to go door to door in the area asking random people in the neighborhood if they got my package instead, then tell both myself and the seller that while they then realize it had been misdelivered, it was up to the other of us to request a refund (told seller I had to and me that seller had to).  Also, in my experience, when dropping things off at the door, USPS actually knocks or rings the bell every time whereas it's been since I was a teenager that I can remember a UPS driver doing so.  A couple of days ago I was sitting in the living room with my daughter, realized that a package I was waiting on was supposed to be delivered that day, looked up tracking and discovered it reported as delivered 30 minutes prior; I hadn't moved in a couple of hours, and yet there was no knock at the door, ringing of the doorbell, etc., just the package sloppily dropped off on the stoop up against the screen door.  UPS (and FedEx alike) is the near-literal Devil.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Events Helper · Posted

I've had bad experience with usps.  FedEx delivers to my house, ups let's usps deliver to my house.

gloves sent games, never arrived, granted he is in Canada, but I assume it would come through usps.....kokiri sent me something via usps and it never arrived.  2 lost packages......

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I've had bad experience with usps.  FedEx delivers to my house, ups let's usps deliver to my house.

gloves sent games, never arrived, granted he is in Canada, but I assume it would come through usps.....kokiri sent me something via usps and it never arrived.  2 lost packages......

Lost packages suck, but did they balk at providing a refund for the insured value afterward?  I've lost track of the number of bad experiences I've personally had with UPS.  Beyond the recent one offered above, the next two that stick out in my mind are the two times that they were delivering my wife's heart medication.  The first time she was OUT, O-U-T out, and had to have it THAT DAY, after they'd lost it in shipment and delayed a rush shipment for 2 days already.  She'd taken the last dose she had in the morning, with none in reserve for the evening.  So, we sat in the living room by the door, waiting for the bell or a knock, only to have the tracking suddenly update to "delivery attempted, undeliverable," only to open the front door and find a sticky note on the screen door telling us how we weren't home, the valiant driver tried his little heart out to get it to us, but alas, we ignored his fervent screams and pounding.  The wife had to call customer service and basically dump on them that if she had complications or, at worst, DIED, because of this fuckup, it would be on them and I and the kids would be set for life.  After that, they suddenly knew where the driver was on his route and were able to set it up so she could go meet him to get the packge.  The second time was much the same, although she wasn't actually out, and the guy was walking back up to the door with a sticker in his hand when he looked up and saw us glaring at him through the glass, since we'd brought in a chair to sit right in the door for redelivery.

USPS is by no means perfect, but in every experience I've had, personally and professionally, they've owned up to their shortcomings and mistakes.  UPS (and FedEx, OHHHHH the stories I could tell you about why you shouldn't ship via FedEx), never.

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted

oof....

um, not sure of insurance, cheap games from gloves and it would have been an import.  kokiri didn't get insurance and I'm not sure what happened in the end.  long story short.....most of the usps stuff has been delivered.  I agree they are better than ups at least.  FedEx I haven't had issues with.  all in all I'm sure usps is the best of the three, but I honestly don't ship or receive packages enough to know the diff.

8 hours ago, avatar! said:

I had a billing issue with UPS. Well, I purchased a defective item and the company had UPS pick it up to ship it back (it was very heavy), and then I got stuck with a UPS bill. At any rate, I just wanted to pay it off. I rarely use UPS. So...

I went to the UPS Store, but apparently they can't process billings. I'm not sure why? They are the UPS store after all. But no, they said go online.

Online payment did not work.

Called the general number, no. Doesn't work. Spoke with someone via facebook, they said call this other number. SO called this new number. They give me yet another number. Called this third number, spoke with someone. Spoke with someone. After an hour, transferred me to online billing but that failed. Had to do the whole thing again, maybe it went through, maybe not. Apparently I have to wait 24-48 hours just to find out if this frustration is done. 

So yeah, wow, I really hate UPS right now. 

What do all of you use when shipping games etc? Do people generally stick to USPS? FedEx? Something else? Or,have people had good experiences with UPS and did I just get the shit-end of the UPS stick? Basically, what's the least frustrating way to ship things? 

UPS and UPS store are not the same entity. UPS store is a franchise company that operates as an agent for UPS. They can only the transactions that UPS allows agents to do.

All I can say is that I only feel secure using USPS is when Priority Mail (or better) is involved. I always get my pack on that day, or sooner, with little to no issues at all. Receiving imports is a whole different topic, and will explain why I use DHL.

With UPS... The day my AFA re-graded figure was to arrive they sent me a message in the AM stating that it was with the delivery guy. I literally spent the next 12 hours hoping to be there when it arrived. And I do mean 12 hours. That experience has me questioning if I should pay a premium just to have my next order be shipped back via Priority Mail.

Which I wonder if still a good option. Because after blowing the dust off their website AFA states that they found UPS to be both a cheaper and a safer choice. Then again, they still use Flash for their portions of their website. Ugh. 😩

Am I the only one here who thinks USPS and UPS sound way too similar and is way too easy to get one confused with the other?  Maybe go back to the old "Post Office" or USPO?

Fun fact: Prior to 1971 the Postmaster General was a member of the President's Cabinet.