IGNORED

One game you wish you could replay for the first time once again.

Hey everyone!

I'm wondering to myself here what game I wish I could replay once again for the first time to relive the joy and experience of it. I got to admit, Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse is at the top of my list. Coming of the previous releases, this game had a lot of hype for me.  With some time and saving up money for it when I was kid, when I got it.....amazed to say the least. Yup, wish I could do it all over again. So what's yours? And why? 

• Like 1

I don't think I can narrow it down to just one, but I can think of a few that would make the short list.

• Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy 6
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

And one more contemporary answer: Outer Wilds (as detailed in the other thread I made regarding my favorite games of the generation).

• Like 3

Final Fantasy Adventure, followed by Final Fantasy VII, Tactics and then Final Fantasy V.  Those are all some of the most formative games for me and I get they all had the same name. But I don't know what it was.   I tried many other RPGs and none others resonated with me the way Squaresoft games did.

For non-Final Fantasy games, I think I'd want to replay Xenogears. For a non-Squaresoft game I think I'd pick Metroid II.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

good choice buddy!  I'm proud of you.

If I had a choice it would be either Dragon Warrior 2 or 4.  Maybe final fantasy for a distant 3rd.

I remember playing dragon warrior on the NES. It was technically my first introduction to RPGs and I had such a disdain for it. Kept on grinding through the game since it was given as a gift to me. In the end, I LOVED it, the series and RPGs as well from then on. Great choice @Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Littlemacstrainer said:

I remember playing dragon warrior on the NES. It was technically my first introduction to RPGs and I had such a disdain for it. Kept on grinding through the game since it was given as a gift to me. In the end, I LOVED it, the series and RPGs as well from then on. Great choice @Jeevan

ty!  DW was my first intro. to rpgs as well.  I remember playing dw2 all summer on a 10 inch black and white tv on the kitchen table allllll day long.  

such good memories of that nes series.

• Like 1

Lots of RPGs suggested, and I briefly thought of doing the same. I figured re-experiencing a story heavy game made most sense, going in completely blind. 

But then I thought, my favoute game in the genre is Final Fantasy VI, and every time I've replayed that game I've enjoyed it as much as the previous, or even moreso. Every time I've been filled with wonder and new appreciation for the world that it builds. 

I don't need to play that for the first time to relive the experience I had when I played it for the first time. 🙂

• Like 2

I know you said one but I can’t choose between dark souls and persona 4.

Dark Souls because reliving the nightmare of learning that game would be so much fun. It was so satisfying spending hours on a section learning every mob movement and finally conquering a boss.

Persona 4 because it’s my favourite RPG and playing through the story again would be fun.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Lots of RPGs suggested, and I briefly thought of doing the same. I figured re-experiencing a story heavy game made most sense, going in completely blind. 

But then I thought, my favoute game in the genre is Final Fantasy VI, and every time I've replayed that game I've enjoyed it as much as the previous, or even moreso. Every time I've been filled with wonder and new appreciation for the world that it builds. 

I don't need to play that for the first time to relive the experience I had when I played it for the first time. 🙂

I hear ya on that! It's the lasting impressions the games leave on us. The lore and history of Dracula and the Belmont family does it for me and why it's my choice. It was also the (first time I believe but I could be wrong) choose your path in castlevania 3. I was totally on board.

6 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I know you said one but I can’t choose between dark souls and persona 4.

Dark Souls because reliving the nightmare of learning that game would be so much fun. It was so satisfying spending hours on a section learning every mob movement and finally conquering a boss.

Persona 4 because it’s my favourite RPG and playing through the story again would be fun.

I dig it! 😁 Awesome choice! 

I thought about Dragon Warrior but back in the mists of time with that childhood imagination is where that first play through is best kept.  

I’d probably say Final Fantasy Tactics or Castlevania Symphony of the Night.  I may be over thinking this but I think those would probably be my best choices that aren’t completely intertwined with the experience of the time and place when they originally came out.  In that regard SOTN might be pushing it too. 

...Actually now that I think about it I don’t like this game at all.  It’s best to leave those experiences where they are.  There’s a retarded amount of games in my basement as a plastic monument to my deep affection for my past experiences.

So I’d have to pick something modern.  I’d be good with experiencing the Witcher 3 for the first time again.  

• Like 2

Super Mario Bros.  

One of my earliest memories was being the first in my family to discover that the mushroom made you bigger. That was an awesome discovery.  Also, my Dad was the first to beat 1-4 and our minds were blown away to discover that the game wasn't over yet.  It would be amazing to relive that again for the first time.  

Tomb Raider (PS1)

I got it for Christmas but I had never heard of it.  I was completely blown away by the amazing level design and 3D world, which for me was still a new thing.  

• Like 1

the original Legend of Zelda is the first game to spring to mind. I have beaten both quests dozens of times. I have burned every bush and bombed every rock. The entire game is imprinted on my mind, as deeply embedded as my own name.

would i have the patience to solve this game in 2020? i honestly don't know. i think that question is what makes my answer to the OP's question so deep.

• Like 1

What a tough question; keeping to one choice is pretty difficult. That said, if it could only be one, I would choose A Link to the Past on SNES.

The funny thing is, I didn't even play the game when it came out...per se. Every morning before school, I would head over to my friend's house down the street and watch him play for 45 mins before the bus came. It was a partnership though; I would keep track of item locations and help solve puzzles, things like that. I slept over at his place almost every weekend, so we played more then, but over the course of several weeks, we beat the game.

My friend offered the controller throughout, but I never needed to take it to play; I very much feel like I played the game, and it was wonderful.

• Like 5