IGNORED

One game you wish you could replay for the first time once again.

9 hours ago, Jeevan said:

If I had a choice it would be either Dragon Warrior 2 or 4.

Why DW 2 or 4 but not 3?  I actually just came here to post DW 3.  I can't imagine I'll ever be so shocked again in a video game... first, I thought it was all over when I walked merrily back to the King after beating Baramos, then finding out the Dark World was actually Alefgard, and THEN, as if all that wasn't cool enough, finding out at the end of the game that I've been playing the roll of the legendary hero Erdrick from the first game the whole time!!!  It blew my little 14 year old mind in a way that's just not repeatable.  I've never seen a trilogy end so well or tie together so seemlessly before or since.  So, yeah, for me I wish I could re-do DW III again for the first time...

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Why DW 2 or 4 but not 3?  I actually just came here to post DW 3.  I can't imagine I'll ever be so shocked again in a video game... first, I thought it was all over when I walked merrily back to the King after beating Baramos, then finding out the Dark World was actually Alefgard, and THEN, as if all that wasn't cool enough, finding out at the end of the game that I've been playing the roll of the legendary hero Erdrick from the first game the whole time!!!  It blew my little 14 year old mind in a way that's just not repeatable.  I've never seen a trilogy end so well or tie together so seemlessly before or since.  So, yeah, for me I wish I could re-do DW III again for the first time...

Spoilers man, jeez.

• Haha 2

Events Team · Posted
10 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Breath of The Wild. That sense of exploration and wondering what was on the other side of the next mountain was amazing. 

Yup, this would be my pick too, if I had to pick one. 2017 was one of the best years of my life (One of the only good ones I've had in recent years, frankly) and as ridiculous as it may sound, that was in no small part thanks to Breath of the Wild. My absolute favorite game of all time, and even if some other game in the future dethrones BoTW as my favorite, it will always hold an incredibly special place in my heart. It was that dream game for me that you always think of, but you know will never happen in a million years. But I'm one of the lucky people who's pipe dream game became a reality. BoTW for me was a blindingly bright spot in what has otherwise been a very rough few years for me.

With all that said, I'll agree with some others that I think my secondary pick would be Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, or any of the Metroidvania CV games, really. I still remember when I was first introduced to the series with Castlevania: Dracula X, and how I explored the rest of the series from then on out. While it would be amazing to re-experience the game that introduced me to the franchise (And the game that was the catalyst of my love for video game music) there was just something... magical about Symphony of the Night that I would love to experience again. It was everything I could've possibly wanted in a Castlevania game and more. Symphony of the Night was the game that helped propel the series from a series I quite enjoyed, to probably my second-favorite video game series just behind Legend of Zelda.

I'll also say that I wouldn't mind getting a second chance at playing Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for the first time again, as the very first time I started playing the game years ago, about a quarter of the way through my mother got in a car accident, which definitely kind of hampered my enjoyment of the game. (She's alright though, no worries! No significant injuries, could've been a hell of a lot worse, although we did end up having to replace the car.)

There's also LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2. Those games are very near and dear to my heart, and were incredibly huge portions of my childhood. I still remember all the hype leading up to LittleBigPlanet 2, and me pretending to be sick so I could stay home and play it on launch day... those were good times, and I definitely wouldn't mind re-experiencing either of those two games again.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker would be pretty amazing to re-experience as well. I vividly remember the Christmas I got a silver Gamecube along with a copy of Wind Waker. I remember watching videos of the game online, and wishing I had a copy of my own so I could play it and experience it on my own. I was so excited that Christmas, I stayed up all day and, knowing me, probably all night doing nothing but playing that game.

Then, of course, there's The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, my introduction to the Legend of Zelda series, as it was for many others. Definitely would pay huge amounts of money to be able to re-experience playing that for the first time again. Partially because it was so long ago that I don't actually remember my first playthrough of it all that well, to be honest.

But yes, if I had to pick only one, it would absolutely be The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Playing that game for the first time, I felt like a kid discovering a new franchise I would end up loving and trying to figure everything out, which is a feeling I hadn't experienced in years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I actually just came here to post DW 3.

So in the same paragraph where you state that you wish you could go into the game without knowing all of those things... you explicitly spell out those exact things?

The forum has a handy spoiler tag, which could help other people having the experience you wish you could have again. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Heh, the game is 30 years old

The game also just recently released on Switch, giving an opportunity to play the game to people who might not have been able to import it 30 years ago.

Edited by Sumez

Events Helper · Posted
3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I never played 3 as a kid.  only as an adult.  never was at any rental stores, as in no one physically had it.

so that is why 2 or 4.  now, if I could choose when I played it.....maybe a diff. story.

Administrator · Posted
18 minutes ago, jonebone said:

Ocarina of Time for me... though probably as a teenage kid.  I'm not sure if playing something for the first time as an adult would have quite the same feeling. 

That was my concern as well.

Like I might say Majora's Mask. But would I TRULY appreciate it in the same way today if playing it for the first time? Probably not. Part of the experience of being a dumb kid is just that - I was a dumb kid when I first played it. I rented it two weekends in a row and neither time was able to even leave Clock Town, I just couldn't figure out wtf I was supposed to do. But I loved the look, feel, and overall mood of the game, so I just hung around Clock Town, talking to all the NPCs.

I knew what everyone said different every day, I knew everyone's patterns, where they went, how they changed, how each and every one of them reacted to their impending doom. Clock Town for me is full of humanity because of this, every jumble of polygons a living breathing being. And when I DID find my way out of Clock Town, I put the same thought into every other area of the game.  I'd never put THAT much time and effort into the starting area of a game today.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

Fallout 3 for me. I hadn’t really done any gaming for almost a decade, before I picked up a 360 with this game. The atmosphere had me hooked from the start and the open world concept was new to me. It’s one of a few series that I will actually play these days. Most games I buy to play are quickly ignored. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, B.A. said:

Another vote for Link to the Past. I rented a snes and the game with a friend one weekend and I was hooked. I must have called the Nintendo help line like 10 times that weekend.

LoL My parents got so mad at me every time I use to call nintendo help when they received their phone bill. 

Funny enough, I'm playing a link to the past on my switch as we speak.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Littlemacstrainer said:

LoL My parents got so mad at me every time I use to call nintendo help when they received their phone bill. 

Funny enough, I'm playing a link to the past on my switch as we speak.

It was a pretty good deal when it was just a WA state long distance call.  When they changed it to a 900 number my parents wouldn't let me call anymore. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

Vanilla Everquest, but take me back to 1999 where there was little info online and players had to explore the world and figure things out for themselves.

True true 👍 Nowadays I still try to avoid using any help online or such. I feel like I'm cheating myself out of the experience of the game. 

Great pick!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Resident Evil 2. I love the game but can basically beat it blindfolded now from playing through it so many times so it would be nice to play it again without any knowledge of the game. The remake was amazing and will be as close to playing the original fresh again so that was nice.

One of the cooler gameshark codes back in the day was switching the item placement to the Japanese version, some of the stuff like the magnum was located way different.  It was like playing a cool remixed version beyond the 4 regular campaigns.

• Like 1

Happy to see SMB and SM64 mentioned, as well as Fallout 3.  All come really close to getting my vote, but I'll go with the first one that came to my mind: Phantasy Star II on Genesis.  It was light years ahead of everything out at the time and remains one of my favorite games to this day.

• Like 1