IGNORED

CasualCart's 2020 Ink-tober Thread

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted
21 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

😮 these are all actually drawn!?

Any plans on selling the drawings? I’d love to get my hands on that Samson and Wrecking Crew Mario.

Yeah, I'd be down. But I have to look into whether or not I can legally sell drawings like these since they're based on copyrighted characters. I'll get back to you on that...

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
52 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I've got pants for days, bro.
(and apparently this is how I'm wasting my extra free-time now that Ink-tober is over haha)

-CasualCart

1004207416_PantsforDays.jpg.9feab7c38233f2980211951dc1c78ae3.jpg

Good use of your time I'd say, those are some swanky ass pants for sure. I especially love the two-tone red/orange and black ones on the right. Very nice!

And hey, if you end up selling these drawings, I'd pay good money for that Me/Makar Like drawing, haha. Maybe even those early mockup sketches of the ZF character if you've still got those around, would love to own the physical drawings of the character from the man himself.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
23 hours ago, Scrobins said:

Looking back, do you have any favorites from what you’ve made this past month? 

Hmmm ... probably Milon, Behemoth, and Conductor Goro.
Those were a few that I felt particularly proud of - the best part of this thread was that I think it helped me push myself. It's hard to improve when I'm not actively expanding and drawing new stuff.

-CasualCart

• Like 2

Moderator · Posted
2 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

the best part of this thread was that I think it helped me push myself. It's hard to improve when I'm not actively expanding and drawing new stuff.

Considering that you’re astoundingly talented to begin with, the notion that you’re still expanding and growing is all the more impressive. You can bet I’ll be bidding on that art commission (I’d love to see what you might create as a logo for my VGS blog series)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Graphics Team · Posted

@ThePhleo 

So about selling some of the originals - I reached out to Nintendo asking if I'd be legally allowed to sell these as sufficiently-transformative works, and they sent this in reply...

"Thank you for writing.  We appreciate your interest in Nintendo and are grateful for all the requests we receive for permission to use Nintendo properties.  Nintendo receives a large volume of requests and, unfortunately, cannot accommodate them all.  We must therefore decline this request.
Sincerely,
Legal Department
Nintendo of America Inc."

It's not a very straightforward response - "decline this request" could mean that they're not going to look into it to give me a clear yes or no, but it could also mean that they're flat-out denying that I can make use of their IP this way. I'm unclear on the situation here, but things don't look promising.

-CasualCart

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Graphics Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

Considering that you’re astoundingly talented to begin with, the notion that you’re still expanding and growing is all the more impressive. You can bet I’ll be bidding on that art commission (I’d love to see what you might create as a logo for my VGS blog series)!

Oh I've still got a long way to go haha. A bunch of my co-workers and friends from college put my artwork to shame, but I try to see it as inspiration rather than getting salty.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

@ThePhleo 

So about selling some of the originals - I reached out to Nintendo asking if I'd be legally allowed to sell these as sufficiently-transformative works, and they sent this in reply...

"Thank you for writing.  We appreciate your interest in Nintendo and are grateful for all the requests we receive for permission to use Nintendo properties.  Nintendo receives a large volume of requests and, unfortunately, cannot accommodate them all.  We must therefore decline this request.
Sincerely,
Legal Department

It's not a very straightforward response - "decline this request" could mean that they're not going to look into it to give me a clear yes or no, but it could also mean that they're flat-out denying that I can make use of their IP this way. I'm unclear on the situation here, but things don't look promising.

-CasualCart

B9B04C74-CF10-4B6C-8D8F-8FF62B2017D9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

@ThePhleo 

Sincerely,
Legal Department

-CasualCart

Aww.

Well if something changes let me know! I’ll even buy a print if you don’t want to sell the original.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

Nintendo only owns like a two or three or so of the properties you did.

I really doubt Nintendo's legal team is going to take the time to hunt down a guy on a video game forum for selling a few of his original interpretive drawings of their characters. I've seen prints of original art featuring Nintendo characters for sale and as far as I know, they aren't licensed.

• Like 1