IGNORED

CasualCart's 2020 Ink-tober Thread

T-Pac

8 hours ago, CasualCart said:

25 - R-10 Mech [Robocco Wars]

@Sumez - I had never heard of this game before you mentioned it here, but I had to get myself a copy once I looked into it. A platforming-shooter hybrid by Taito featuring a sick mech and funny cartoon bosses? It's everything I've ever wanted in a video game haha. I finally got my hands on the Famicom cart today and I've had a blast with it so far.

-CasualCart

Wow, I'm glad to hear you got such a good time out of a random sprite drop 😄 

I agree, the game really is a ton of fun, even though you very rarely hear anyone talking about it! It's on the easy side, so it doesn't demand a lot of dedication and doesn't have that much longevity as a result, but I don't really think it suffers from it. On the subject of Taito, there's a fun Darius reference in there, too.

Seems like the game has been taking off a bit recently, I hope you didn't have to pay too much for it.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
14 hours ago, Sumez said:

Wow, I'm glad to hear you got such a good time out of a random sprite drop 😄 

I agree, the game really is a ton of fun, even though you very rarely hear anyone talking about it! It's on the easy side, so it doesn't demand a lot of dedication and doesn't have that much longevity as a result, but I don't really think it suffers from it. On the subject of Taito, there's a fun Darius reference in there, too.

Seems like the game has been taking off a bit recently, I hope you didn't have to pay too much for it.

Yeah - I'm pumped that you brought Robocco Wars to my attention! I got it for about $65. Definitely pricy for an impulse-buy, but considering this is a late-release Taito game, I don't regret it haha. This was actually my first Famicom pickup, but I've been keeping track of the Famicom market long enough to know that the days of dirt-cheap FC games are already behind us.

The funniest thing is that I don't even have a 60-pin adapter, so the only way I've been able to play the game is through the Famicom slot on my NES-cart dumper. I haven't been able to get a good dump, so I've been playing the game with messed-up graphics. Some of the bosses are literally just blocks of numbers and letters, and I died from some invisible projectiles a few times haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

but I've been keeping track of the Famicom market long enough to know that the days of dirt-cheap FC games are already behind us.

Oh, the prices have been going up like everywhere else, but there are still plenty of decent games out there that can be had for single-digit dollar counts if they aren't boxed. 🙂 

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

27 - Astoro Raider [Astro Warrior]

I feel like this thread needs some more representation from Sega, but the only 8-bit Sega game I've spent any significant amount of time with is Astro Warrior. Luckily, I love me some Astro Warrior, so here's the base-ship from the game.

-CasualCart

187749898_027AstoroRaiderSprite.jpg.2706815e78f20f13b7289d8dd27c8ea5.jpg

1038914247_027AstoroRaider.jpg.14232fc26b89d7aa34720b96ce1e3701.jpg

773633079_027AstoroRaiderColor.jpg.008b4e47e230d146e7e92d047d5bedf4.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

By the way, does anyone know if the Master System supports more colors per tile than the NES? This spaceship sprite seems much more colorful than Nintendo's offerings on a similar scale...

-CasualCart

According to segaretro.org: The Master System displays 32 colors on screen, compared to the Nintendo's 25 colors on screen. The Master System also displays 16 colors (15 colors plus transparency) per tile and 16 colors per sprite, like the 16-bit Mega Drive and SNES, compared to 4 colors (3 colors plus transparency) per tile and 4 colors per sprite for the NES.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Master System in general also just has a much more lush palette than the NES. 

9 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I feel like this thread needs some more representation from Sega

Then allow me to nominate this masterpiece of spritework from My Hero:

image.png.311c04aeac73f7dda02cc007b5fbce97.png

The hero is cool enough as it is, but those bad guys is where the game really shines.

• Haha 1

Graphics Team · Posted
22 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

According to segaretro.org: The Master System displays 32 colors on screen, compared to the Nintendo's 25 colors on screen. The Master System also displays 16 colors (15 colors plus transparency) per tile and 16 colors per sprite, like the 16-bit Mega Drive and SNES, compared to 4 colors (3 colors plus transparency) per tile and 4 colors per sprite for the NES.

Wow - that would explain how the Master System got away with those Genesis ports without making them look like a mess.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

It's Inktober 29th. Before we know it Inkvember will be upon us and the magical artistic journey of a generation will have drawn to a close...

@CasualCart and @OptOut, titans of the scene, duking it out for the admiration of the masses! Masterpiece on top of masterpiece, each artist matching and then besting the other in the most epic artistic dogpile the world has seen since, like, um, Donatello versus Raphael? Michelangelo versus Leonardo? Shredder versus Splinter? I lost my train of thought...

Anyway, all that remains is the @CasualCart fan request we have all been waiting for:

738877663_inktober29th.thumb.png.ccbb58a22e10a141a2d9a51742bd08f6.png

I'm ready for my close-up, Mister Cart😳

• Haha 4

Graphics Team · Posted

@OptOut - I'll oblige haha. Although I may not be a huge fan of your more 'adult' Ink-tober submissions, I'm stoked that you've stuck it out with me this whole month, dude! So here's 'Opty 64' - the N64 robot-dog with sunglasses.

272217548_Optout64.jpg.a9674a4a0f16b6077b714a41af81c7ef.jpg

Can't wait to see what you've got in store for the last 3 days!

-CasualCart

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 2