IGNORED

What is the most disappointing gaming commercial or trailer you've ever seen?

Estil

So like it says on the can, eh topic...this is about what is the most disappointing video game commercial or trailer you've ever seen.  I'll never forget the first time I ever saw this commercial...

Now the way the ad plays at first, it makes it look like this has to be some sort of major epic fantasy quest, RPG, strategy game or whatnot with a beautiful badass woman as the star of the game or at least one of the main members of the party.  Like this would be the kind of game like FF or DQ where you'd need maybe 30-40 hours just to get through the main story, plus maybe twice that for all the sidequests and other goodies!

But no, alas...it's just one of those cheap bush league phone games 😞  Talk about a MAJOR let down when I saw at the end it was not for PS4 or something 😞

So what about the rest of you?  What is the one video game commercial or trailer that made you think this game was gonna be super awesome...but you were severely and flagrantly let down by the final product (for whatever reason)...or in my case I already felt that way at the end of the commercial!!

PS: Is there anyway I can make embedded videos like the one above smaller?  I mean it doesn't really have to be this huge.

Edited by Estil

Mobile games like that make so much money, they can afford to get A-list celebrities to make commercials for their crappy games.  I remember when that commercial came out and, if I recall, it was estimated that they had likely made nearly $1B on that game.  That’s right, $1,000,000,000.  There was also one for a war game with Arnold Swartzenager and there was another one from that girl from community and Dave Franco.  It’s weird.  I don’t see any of those games as “legitimate” because all they are are cheaply made money-grabs that scratch the itch of gamblers, without ever having to pay out any real rewards.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well I guess I can add the now released Final Fantasy 7 remake to the list...or should I say, Final Fantasy 7 opening Midgar section ONLY "game".  Seriously, they're doing this stupid piecemeal crap?  Remember when years back I finally got around to doing RPGs, including the great FF7 (though among PS1 FF's I like FF9 the best by far)?  I specifically remember not only that first Midgar section of the game took me about ten hours (it was my first time after all, and like all RPG/quest sorts of games the idea is to take your time and explore and all that) but how when you finally finish it and get to the main overworld for the first time, it honestly felt just like how in the first game, you cross that first bridge and see the title screen; in both of these cases it's the game's way of telling you that's when your quest has really started.

So after all this hype, build up, that awesome looking trailer of what the new graphics might be like, the "game" finally arrives...and all you get is the "pre-quest" part and maybe we might get the rest of the game if Square Enix feels like it.  Completely unacceptable.  If you're gonna do a job, do it all the way and do it right otherwise don't do it at all.

I guess I can forget about any sort of nice FF9 remake I guess; we'll be lucky if we don't end up left with an incomplete piecemeal mess of the above... 😞 

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 9:30 PM, RH said:

Mobile games like that make so much money, they can afford to get A-list celebrities to make commercials for their crappy games.  I remember when that commercial came out and, if I recall, it was estimated that they had likely made nearly $1B on that game.  That’s right, $1,000,000,000.  There was also one for a war game with Arnold Swartzenager and there was another one from that girl from community and Dave Franco.  It’s weird.  I don’t see any of those games as “legitimate” because all they are are cheaply made money-grabs that scratch the itch of gamblers, without ever having to pay out any real rewards.

My main beef with these mobile/phone/tablet games is that after a few years it'll likely disappear forever as soon as whoever makes the game doesn't feel like hosting it anymore.

1 minute ago, Estil said:

My main beef with these mobile/phone/tablet games is that after a few years it'll likely disappear forever as soon as whoever makes the game doesn't feel like hosting it anymore.

Yeah, it's even worse. These makers will gladly let the games run for long periods of time. However, once the clientele leave, they shut it down really quickly.

I will enjoy a good gatcha from time to time, and I don't mind spending $10-20 a month if they've created a really good player experience, but the people that drop 4-5 digits a month blow my mind.  I know I mentioned many of them are on YouTube or Twitch and people throw money at them, but I'm convinced there are many others that just throw that kind of cash at these games just because. I can't even fathom that idea.

22 minutes ago, Estil said:

No I mean if I do want a preview pane, but not so huge.

You can't control that. It automatically adjusts for the width of the thread. Probably has to do with the style sheets.

If you're asking why it does that, it's so that it can fit onto whatever device you're viewing. It looks huge if you use a monitor, but on a phone the preview pane is much smaller.

Edited by Tulpa

Editorials Team · Posted

I've seen a fair amount of in-game ads for other games, that demonstrate the gameplay (make the right choice or your guy dies, find the right way to drain the thingie, etc) and my bro-in-law says that none of those games are actually like the ads. Every time one comes up when we're together he says that he downloaded the game and it was something completely different. So these game companies... come up with a game idea and code it, then come up with a more visually fun idea for a completely different game, to trick people into downloading the first game?? I don't get it. If the game isn't fun enough, then make that imaginary game that draws people in!

And yeah, the disappearing. I miss BraveSmart and Pocket Planes but they don't exist anymore. I could maybe side-load an old apk of Bravesmart, but Pocket Planes used online for too much stuff. If only these games were released in physical form on a plastic square.

Take a drink Everytime something is shown that never got implemented in the consoles life span.

Detailed drawing

Fun tabletop touch screen games

Zapper games with the controller attached. 

Throwing things from controller to the tv

Any that actually idea the video chat. 

Oh and the whole time they refer to it as the new controller..

• Like 2

And all it took to ruin it was their stupid kids ads (just to reinforce the "kiddie" stereotype) and the funny name that made the system sound like it was for college or something 😛

Just to throw out a little conspiracy theory for ya, I wonder if Nintendo half-blew the WiiU on purpose as the Switch is mostly the same idea (tablet) but in a much less bulky/battery hungry form, which I guess back in 2012(?) the tech for that wasn't quite there.

Edited by Estil

Mighty No. 9.

I am by no means a graphics guy but this game looked absolutely terrible from the trailer and there was so much hype with this game initially. Got it for Wii U and was even more disappointed than I was with the trailer. I've never seen a game look so bad while performing even worse. I can't believe this game is less than 5 years old... looks like a bad early 2000s game at best.

On 4/11/2020 at 7:22 AM, JamesRobot said:

My biggest let down ever.  How you gonna hype Mega Man like this and not deliver?

Just like how they hyped up MegaMan Legends 3 for the 3DS several years back, including (I remember) one of the major gaming magazines giving a 8-10 page or so story...and then when the going got a little too tough, they quit.  Just like how they quit on the GBA version of MegaMan Anniversary Collection, which I thought would've been so cool to see what the GB MegaMen would've been like in full color.

As Jesse Ventura once said regarding someone else who quit (I won't name names), Capcom would've never made it as a Navy SEAL or a Frogman, because if you say the words "I quit", you're gone.  As someone who was really into the MegaMan Legends Trilogy back in the early 2000s (check out my guides/transcripts at GameFAQs) I was appalled and disgusted that Crapcom made such a big commitment and promotion of Legends 3...and then just how of nowhere, they quit!! :(  

In fact I was quite surprised/relieved that not only MegaMan 11 turned out well, but that it in fact turned out at all!  I mean for almost the entire 2010s decade we didn't get even one true MegaMan game until MM11, and given their track record, when I first heard about the game, I naturally figured that as soon as it got a bit too hot in their kitchen, they'd quit on it! :( 

• Like 1

I don't know if it would/should be considered crappy or really disappointing, but the commercial for Super Mario Sunshine at the time really turned me off from trying & playing the game til years later... and I'm sad that I didn't play it sooner, because it was amazing!

Like in hindsight I cannot fathom why, other then the commercial didn't show a whole lot of gameplay. I just recall getting stuck in my head that this was some weird spin-off Mario title and not a proper Super Mario game... how wrong I was (obviously) lol

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

• 1 month later...

Oh, super easy. This game trailer burns a permanent marker in my mind:

I remember this trailer coming out to a decent amount of hype, only to present an absolute turd for the "big reveal". The final game was pretty awful too.

And then of course, this one got pretty famous, especially humorous considering the sonic twitter then parodied it, allowing us to come full-circle.

I know it's not really thread-accurate given the comparison between the thread title and this, but as for games with great trailers/prerelease but bad actual releases, I was pretty much prime target for Smash Bros Brawl, and the hype that game served up for the two years before launch could never prepare me for how much slower the pacing was on it, and how imbalanced some of the characters were, and how many "lol free kill" items were added. The whole thing was really a hard experience after spending years playing melee. Definitely a disappointing memory.

• Like 1

Not a commercial but I bought an N64 completely because Squaresoft made a FF3, 3D demo for the N64. I bought it and only then learned Square jump shipped to the PS1. 🙄

I was a bit upset because I saved up a while to be ready to buy an N64 from day one, and I knew I now had to start fresh and save for a PS1. I did and it was a great season. I loved both consoles, but at that time I hated ever trusting a demo real I had seen a year or so earlier on IGN.

3 minutes ago, fox said:

3017346-metroidprimeff.jpg

Hype was thru the roof for a new 2D or 3D Metroid and Nintnedo trolled everyone with this

I don't hate this game though. I played it for about 5 hours. It's one on those games that would've been better just shelved until the switch came out. The 3ds just wasn't the platform for the game. 

• Like 1