IGNORED

What is the most disappointing gaming commercial or trailer you've ever seen?

Estil

22 hours ago, koifish said:

I know it's not really thread-accurate given the comparison between the thread title and this, but as for games with great trailers/prerelease but bad actual releases, I was pretty much prime target for Smash Bros Brawl, and the hype that game served up for the two years before launch could never prepare me for how much slower the pacing was on it, and how imbalanced some of the characters were, and how many "lol free kill" items were added. The whole thing was really a hard experience after spending years playing melee. Definitely a disappointing memory.

What I was most disappointed about regarding Brawl is that unlike the GC version, you can't zoom in all the way on the trophies.  I mean isn't the whole point of the trophies is to serve as a tech demo to show off what the GC and Wii can do?  I honestly was and still am super impressed with the GC ones...especially seeing as how this was done right after launch.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:47 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Take a drink Everytime something is shown that never got implemented in the consoles life span.

Detailed drawing

Fun tabletop touch screen games

Zapper games with the controller attached. 

Throwing things from controller to the tv

Any that actually idea the video chat. 

Oh and the whole time they refer to it as the new controller..

Yeah, while ragging on the Wii U after it was revealed was fun, it was a bummer that I wasn’t interested in a Nintendo console, especially after the Wii was one I camped out for. Oh well, it at least got some great first party stuff in its weird life.

I remember reading a 2-page spread in Nintendo Power for Castlevania 64 that promised all these features that got cut, so I was pretty disappointed when I finally played the game. I got over it later and learned to appreciate the game for what it was, despite the bandwagon to bash it. Still a hundred times better than the Lords of Shadow games in my opinion.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2020 at 2:10 PM, DefaultGen said:

it was a bummer that I wasn’t interested in a Nintendo console, especially after the Wii was one I camped out for. 

I'm right there with you. I was a huge Wii fan and felt like it was dying a slow death for the last year or two of the life span and I was HYPE for the Wii U. It was a hard pill to swallow seeing disappointment after disappointment.

It was a weird time for gaming tho bc Microsoft also went full force with integrating tv into the platform and even forced video chat down everyone's throat. It's just a shame Nintendo couldn't muscle through the initial failure like they did with the 3ds, and like Microsoft did with the Xbox one. 

34 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I'm right there with you. I was a huge Wii fan and felt like it was dying a slow death for the last year or two of the life span and I was HYPE for the Wii U. It was a hard pill to swallow seeing disappointment after disappointment.

It was a weird time for gaming tho bc Microsoft also went full force with integrating tv into the platform and even forced video chat down everyone's throat. It's just a shame Nintendo couldn't muscle through the initial failure like they did with the 3ds, and like Microsoft did with the Xbox one. 

The Wii U seemed slow to start and quick to end.  There was a great 18 months or so for first party stuff them it just ended.  I'm relieved that Xbox turned it around over the last few years with back compat, gamepass, and some nice studio additions. Same for Nintendo with the Switch.  For a bit it looked like PlayStation was the only one with any idea how to make a console and games.

12 hours ago, Nostalgic Machine said:

Anything and everything GAME.COM from the late 90's.

Even as an 10-11 year old, I knew that thing was trash.

Even when the N-Gage first came out I knew right away it was a joke...I mean triple price for WORSE versions of GBA games?  Sort of like how from the first time I heard the song MMMbop I knew right away it/Hanson would be a one hit wonder.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Estil said:

Even when the N-Gage first came out I knew right away it was a joke...I mean triple price for WORSE versions of GBA games?  Sort of like how from the first time I heard the song MMMbop I knew right away it/Hanson would be a one hit wonder.

Same with the Virtual Boy for me. I immediately saw it as a gimmick. I was 7, lol. I legit remember them selling CIB at Toys R Us for $19.99 less than one full year later.

GameCom and N-Gage games were always, always in a cage bin in the center of the department. People wouldn't even steal those, lol.

I'm generally disappointed in most commercials today because they don't show you what the gameplay is really like.  You see a lot of animation and characters shouting, but at the end of it you still don't know how the game is played.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 7:04 PM, CMR said:

I'm generally disappointed in most commercials today because they don't show you what the gameplay is really like.  You see a lot of animation and characters shouting, but at the end of it you still don't know how the game is played.

Think that''s something, remember these commercials for Claritn which for whatever reason, legally(?) couldn't even mention what the drug even does!

10 hours ago, CMR said:

"Doc, I want to switch to Claritin."

"But you don't have allergies."

"What?"

So that's what the drug does!  I don't know why they couldn't just say so rather than make me look like an idiot for "ask your doctor about Claritin". 😛 

PS: This was in mid-late 90s so this was very early Internet era.

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2020 at 8:04 PM, CMR said:

The sad reality seems to be that on many of these games, the animations and the character dialogue ARE the core of the game 😛

All of them. I can't figure out what happened to game advertisements, it's 27 seconds of cut scene footage and 3 seconds of game play. I watch an entire game commercial and I literally could not describe to you which kind of game it is and what the objective is. I don't know if it's side scrolling, fighting, quest style, adventure, I have no clue. How am I supposed to know if I want to buy it if I can't even tell what the game objective is?

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

All of them. I can't figure out what happened to game advertisements, it's 27 seconds of cut scene footage and 3 seconds of game play. I watch an entire game commercial and I literally could not describe to you which kind of game it is and what the objective is. I don't know if it's side scrolling, fighting, quest style, adventure, I have no clue. How am I supposed to know if I want to buy it if I can't even tell what the game objective is?

Watch this trailer and tell me you don't know what kind of game it is:

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Watch this trailer and tell me you don't know what kind of game it is:

First, I don't know why they cover 1/10 of the screen with a banner, why would you cover up a portion of your own game advertisement with another advertisement?

Second, this trailer has much more game play than I usually get but it's still not totally clear. Is it a fighting game like Mortal Kombat or do you walk around solo and fight with computer characters? Do you just keep walking in a circle and fighting characters or is there actually a world you can navigate and interact with?

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

First, I don't know why they cover 1/10 of the screen with a banner, why would you cover up a portion of your own game advertisement with another advertisement?

Second, this trailer has much more game play than I usually get but it's still not totally clear. Is it a fighting game like Mortal Kombat or do you walk around solo and fight with computer characters? Do you just keep walking in a circle and fighting characters or is there actually a world you can navigate and interact with?

What banner are you talking about? There are no banners over the video lol.

I'm gonna assume you've never played Demon's/Dark Souls or any other "Souls-like" games, as anyone who has would immediately recognize it as one. I know the cuts are somewhat short in general but it's pretty clearly not a fighter like MK. To counter your previous statement, this trailer is basically 90% gameplay, and the other 10% is scenery shorts; it's certainly not all cutscene shots.

At any rate, I can accept defeat on that one - you clearly don't go in for a lot of modern titles if you don't recognize a souls-like.

So I submit to you another trailer: 

Surely even ignoring that it's DOOM, you can watch this trailer assuming no previous knowledge of the franchise and go "yeah that's a first person shooter with a heavy focus on gore". And again, the trailer is like 75%+ gameplay.

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

What banner are you talking about? There are no banners over the video lol.

I'm gonna assume you've never played Demon's/Dark Souls or any other "Souls-like" games, as anyone who has would immediately recognize it as one. I know the cuts are somewhat short in general but it's pretty clearly not a fighter like MK. To counter your previous statement, this trailer is basically 90% gameplay, and the other 10% is scenery shorts; it's certainly not all cutscene shots.

At any rate, I can accept defeat on that one - you clearly don't go in for a lot of modern titles if you don't recognize a souls-like.

So I submit to you another trailer: 

Surely even ignoring that it's DOOM, you can watch this trailer assuming no previous knowledge of the franchise and go "yeah that's a first person shooter with a heavy focus on gore". And again, the trailer is like 75%+ gameplay.

The entire bottom of the video had a banner across it. Try playing it again.

I don't know anything about souls games, I don't know what those are. I'm referring more to games that pop up on Nintendo's YouTube account, I watch all of them to see if there are any fun new games being released and cannot figure most of them out. Doom would be pretty unfair for me to judge, it's one of my favourite franchises.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

The entire bottom of the video had a banner across it. Try playing it again.

I don't know anything about souls games, I don't know what those are. I'm referring more to games that pop up on Nintendo's YouTube account, I watch all of them to see if there are any fun new games being released and cannot figure most of them out. Doom would be pretty unfair for me to judge, it's one of my favourite franchises.

You mean like a normal Youtube banner ad? They make ad revenue through that; it's IGN sharing the game trailer, not the dev themselves, of course they want ads lol.

But ok. Nintendo; we're getting pretty picky considering you started with this:

54 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

All of them.

But I shall rise to the occasion. Here ya go:

Surely it's fairly obvious how this game plays? Considering they show actual gameplay for, again, 90% of the video?

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

You mean like a normal Youtube banner ad? They make ad revenue through that; it's IGN sharing the game trailer, not the dev themselves, of course they want ads lol.

But ok. Nintendo; we're getting pretty picky considering you started with this:

But I shall rise to the occasion. Here ya go:

Surely it's fairly obvious how this game plays? Considering they show actual gameplay for, again, 90% of the video?

Ha, you picked a game I actually liked when I saw it originally! This one you're right about, I know how this one plays. I need to change my statement to be most of them.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Code Monkey said:

Ha, you picked a game I actually liked when I saw it originally! This one you're right about, I know how this one plays. I need to change my statement to be most of them.

Another victory for semantics! >:D