IGNORED

Video Game OST

Wasbi

Video game OST is a huge factor for me when I'm rating games & selecting games to beat/re-beat. It has the ability to set the tone & mood in a very significant way. A lot of music in older video games also tends to hit us with waves of nostalgic feelings, and are very memorable. I'm always looking to expand my horizons on OST and sometimes the OST alone can lead me to playing through an entire game. What are some of your favorite OSTs?

One of my favorite OSTs (recently) is from the Mother (Earthbound) series. 

Not driven by nostalgia (I barely played through these for the first time this month), I think Mother has a a GREAT tone setting soundtrack. I highly suggest playing through these games if you haven't already. 

With that I ask again, what are some of your favorite songs in video games?

• Like 2

Some less likely to appear on the list, but I keep in rotation.

• Albert Odyssey (Saturn)
  • Axiom Verge (multiple)
  • Bahamut Lagoon (SFC)
  • Final Fantasy V (SFC)
  • Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
  • GoldenEye (N64) (The "uncompressed" version found here.)
  • Grandia (Saturn/PS1)
  • Jet Force Gemini (N64)
  • Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn)
  • Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (Genesis)
  • Mr. Bones (Saturn)
  • Myst (PC)
  • Obsidian (PC)
  • Octopath Traveler (Switch)
  • Professor Layton & The Curious Village (DS)
  • Suikoden II
  • Waterworld (SNES)
  • Xenogears
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

I frequently listen to video game OSTs on their own and even have a few soundtracks lying around as well. If I had to name a single composer whose works I like the most, it would easily be Nobuo Uematsu. My favorite works of his would probably be FF VI, VII and VIII. Terra's Theme gives me goosebumps every time I hear it and Dancing Mad has to be one of the best and most epic tracks of the whole generation.

Donkey Kong Coutnry 1 and 2 both had great soundtracks, but if I had to name only one I would probably go with the first game and its Aquatic Ambience, although Fear Factory is amazing as well or Stickerbrush Symphony from the second game.

Terranigma is overall a highly underrated game and absolutely amazing, not jsut in terms of gameplay, but also regarding its music. I had a hard time choosing between Hometown and Elle, but I here I decided for the latter:

Jeremy Soule did amazing work even before working on Elder Scrolls games and the like, as seen by Ebon Keep - Town from the Secret of Evermore OST.

Other amazing Western composers are the Follin brothers. They did amazing work on Silver Surfer, Pictionary and some other games, but I really dig what they did with Plok! You'll be amazed to hear that the Boss Theme is coming from SNES hardware. But be sure to give Akrillic or Beach a listen as well.

Going back to Japanese composers don't forget about Hiroki Kikuta, who worked on Secret of Mana 1 and 2, among others. But the SoM OST stands out as being really unique since he took elements from Gamelan and Kecak and put a modern spin on them. Here is Oracle, which is inspired by Kecak dance/chanting:

I could anme so many more SNES soundtracks, but let's switch gear and head on over to the Genesis/Mega Drive. I really enjoyed the Heavy Metal inspired OST from M.U.S.H.A. Here's Fullmetal Fighter:

Midnight Resistance has a short, but very sweet OST and is rarely mentioned, e.g. Flood of Power:

Tougiou: King Colossus is not just my favorite Mega Drive game, but also has one of the best soundtracks on the system, imho. An Old Sad Dance:

Thunder Force IV has been mentioned already, but what about Undead Line? I really love this game's OST and without it I probably would have never made it through this brutally difficult game. My favorite moment of the game is when you beat all six levels and they reveal another level on the stage select screen. You can totally feel the rising dread as you face the terrors of the final level when the final stage intro theme kicks in and transitions into the Final Stage Theme itself.

I could go on and on, if anybody wants ot hear more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RH said:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has an amazing soundtrack.  I ended up importing the Japanese CD since the US only got a sampler disc. 

I'll also add Final Fantasy X.  The soundtrack to that one is fantastic with lots of memorable tunes.  I'm a few hours into a playthrough of the HD version and am listening to the arranged soundtrack.  Original is preferred but both are a good listen.

Morrowind is mostly ambient kind of stuff but there are a few songs that stand out.  I still get them stuck in my head from time to time all these years later.

Edited by zeppelin03

Administrator · Posted

I'll have to echo Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  It has an amazing soundtrack.  I also imported the soundtrack (5-discs!) from Japan and it was a bit pricy, but worth every penny.  

Aside from all the standard popular ones - the Final Fantasy, Chrono, well-known and beloved soundtracks, there are a few that I believe are underrated.  Everyone talks about the super popular ones, but I love hearing about soundtracks that aren't quite as common.

Stella Deus for PS2 - has an amazing soundtrack IMO.  There is a standard OST and also an arrange album that is just beautiful music.  I first discovered Stella Deus as it is an Atlus game, and the soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata is just beautiful stuff.  Link below.

Valkyrie Profile for PS1 - another great soundtrack with some beautiful music.  It is a Tri-Ace / Square game, most of which have great music.   But I feel like Valkyrie Profile isn't talked about as much.  It is a great game with awesome music.  This one is by probably my favorite composer (or way up there at least) - Motoi Sakuraba.  He has done so much amazing music!

Nier for PS3 - I could rave about both this game, and the soundtrack, for days.   If you haven't played the game - do it!  As for the music, it is simply wonderful -- haunting, eerie, sometimes soft and beautiful, it is just fantastic.  And the vocals by Emi Evans are just stunning.  She has a beautiful voice.  Nier was composed by Keiichi Okabe.  Nier: Automata (PS4) also has a great soundtrack, with very similar themes reminiscent of Nier.  There is a standard soundtrack, and also a piano album that is beautiful.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch for PS3 - Even though this game was disappointing to some, everything about the style and ambiance that was created just really resonated with me.  Ni no Kuni will always have a special place in my heart, as it pulled together so many of my favorite artists and creative talent.  It was developed by Level-5, and the music composer was Joe Hisaishi - who is pretty much legendary in my opinion and has composed so much great music - for video games and otherwise - that I don't even know where to start.  The soundtrack for Ni no Kuni is a great instrumental journey, with a number of great 'epic' sounding pieces and interesting playful ones as well.  I highly recommend it!

I could go on for days with so much more.  I thought about creating a Video Game OST blog to discuss soundtracks just like this and help to share them with people so others could enjoy if they haven't yet.  I may still do that, but for now, I hope you'll checkout these below!

Don't even get me started on OSTs. Music is a big part of my enjoyment of games and often find a great soundtrack can elevate an otherwise mediocre game, or make a great game perfect. Welp, too late, I'm gonna talk about it anyway! Some of my favorites have already been mentioned - EarthBound, DKC2, Terranigma, Secret of Mana...but I'll add to those here:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles has an amazing soundtrack all around but this is probably my favorite track of the bunch.

Legend of Mana is not only one of my favorite action RPGs (yes I like it better than Secret of Mana) it might be my #1 favorite OST of all time. That's a bold statement to make so I'll just say it's definitely top 5.  This is my favorite track from it.

Ratchet & Clank is another favorite game of mine, with an amazing soundtrack. The sequels could never hold up to the original in terms of music but all the games in the series are great. This level in particular has memorable and ominous music. I love it.

Hollow Knight.... you want to talk about a game that is nothing but pure beauty? Here it is. The art is amazing, the gameplay is amazing, the soundtrack is amazing. I would honestly give this game perfect marks. This track in particular is beautiful.

Mega Man 3.... What is talking about great OSTs without at least mentioning Mega Man? Snake Man is my favorite track in the entire series. Memorable, fast paced and catchy. Just how I love my Mega Man music.

I've been listening to OST's for years, as well.  I really like most of the Final Fantasy soundtracks, but I think VII and XI are the most memorable for me.  I also really like some of the adaptations SE has released for those games, like the Piano editions.

Does anyone here collect vinyl releases for OST's?  Data DiscsShip to Shore Phono Co., and Yetee Records all have released some very nice editions, although Data Discs is probably my favorite, in terms of quality of the release.  I just received copies of their Sonic CD release, and it's gorgeous.  They even printed Chaos Emeralds inside the jacket, an amazing little touch that is so easy to miss.

DKC has so many great songs, I love them all.

However, this certain song from Solid Runner really caught my attention (and makes me day dream whenever I listen to it). So peaceful.

Also loving the Mega Man X Corrupted OST eventhough the game isn't finished nor released at all:

Edited by Ice Man

One OST I find myself listening to quite often is from the SNES shmup, Phalanx, friggin love that soundtrack.

Only ever beat the game once long ago.

While I haven't gotten around to playing the old classics much in years, I still find myself listening to "Classic Vgm Soundtracks" or "WiiGuys 8BitStereo" on Youtube.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:51 AM, AstralSoul13 said:

Don't even get me started on OSTs. Music is a big part of my enjoyment of games and often find a great

Mega Man 3.... What is talking about great OSTs without at least mentioning Mega Man? Snake Man is my favorite track in the entire series. Memorable, fast paced and catchy. Just how I love my Mega Man music.

Alot of this list is subjective to individual listeners, except this one :P. I had it as my ringtone for years. So frickin' catchy!!

• Like 1