IGNORED

Night / Dark Mode

fsped09

Events Helper · Posted

@Gloves  Might look into dark mode for blogs.  Don't know if it is something the blog poster is doing or what, but it doesn't look like it plays well with @OptOut's top ten snes list article.  K Thanks bye!

Edit:  Ok, maybe its just @OptOut's blog, all the others seem fine, but his two articles text stay the same as the background, or damn near!  

Edited by Jeevan

54 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

And to the opposite of what Deadeye is seeing, I’m told some of my posts are showing black text on black background in dark mode. Any suggestions to remedy?

i am having this too, although, i simply let it shift since im using a modified theme on my windows that turns it dark, and also alters the text color.

this has caused several websites that do not specifically define a text color (they use a windows default) to appear as dark.

generally the solution to this is to define the text color in the site's css to always have it be the same, but sounds like its' not the case here.

Moderator · Posted
27 minutes ago, Mugi said:

i am having this too, although, i simply let it shift since im using a modified theme on my windows that turns it dark, and also alters the text color.

this has caused several websites that do not specifically define a text color (they use a windows default) to appear as dark.

generally the solution to this is to define the text color in the site's css to always have it be the same, but sounds like its' not the case here.

Also you can’t underestimate the power of me causing something weird. If it’s any help, my affected threads are made from me making the lists in word and then copy/pasting into here.

Homebrew Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

Also you can’t underestimate the power of me causing something weird. If it’s any help, my affected threads are made from me making the lists in word and then copy/pasting into here.

My theory is the pasting is not a plain text paste, but is taking formatting over.  For whatever reason, it doesn't always translate it the way you think it would.  I.e., default text in word, you want black on black here, right?

Moderator · Posted
45 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

My theory is the pasting is not a plain text paste, but is taking formatting over.  For whatever reason, it doesn't always translate it the way you think it would.  I.e., default text in word, you want black on black here, right?

Damn, because I put all the hyperlinks in the word version

Moderator · Posted

With @Deadeye's help we solved the problem, but it's still weird how we got there. I tried a plain text paste and manually pasted in new hyperlinks but it still didn't work if you switched between default and dark modes (I've been using default mode). But when I started it dark mode then did a plain text paste and pasted in new hyperlinks one at a time, it seemed to remain visible in both dark and default modes.

• 3 years later...
10 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

When right-clicking in the reply box, choose "Paste As Plain Text" instead of just "Paste."

Problem solved.

Great, if you tell all dark mode users this, and they care, and remember. I am not one of them, which is why I notice it. Putting the onus of something so basic on the user like that isn't good UX design.

It's a little hacky that the software applies such formatting to create one mode, rather than using "default colors" that appear according to the reading user's selected environment, don't you think? It's akin to ignoring css.

I don't know if anything can be done about it for our forum or where the theme came from (InVision package or Gloves home roll) but it would be nice to at least have this on the list of update requests.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Link said:

Great, if you tell all dark mode users this, and they care, and remember. I am not one of them, which is why I notice it. Putting the onus of something so basic on the user like that isn't good UX design.

It's a little hacky that the software applies such formatting to create one mode, rather than using "default colors" that appear according to the reading user's selected environment, don't you think? It's akin to ignoring css.

I don't know if anything can be done about it for our forum or where the theme came from (InVision package or Gloves home roll) but it would be nice to at least have this on the list of update requests.

The thing is, it's simply how rich text editors work - if I take away the default behaviour of "retain background and text colour", then I'm also taking away a number of features like "copy-paste a table from a spreadsheet" and "copy-paste with italics and bolding etc.". It doesn't (can't) differentiate between the two. I CAN make it so the default paste behaviour removes all styling, but when I did that last time (to appease this exact situation) people didn't like that they couldn't copy-paste their own styles.

29 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The thing is, it's simply how rich text editors work - if I take away the default behaviour of "retain background and text colour", then I'm also taking away a number of features like "copy-paste a table from a spreadsheet" and "copy-paste with italics and bolding etc.". It doesn't (can't) differentiate between the two. I CAN make it so the default paste behaviour removes all styling, but when I did that last time (to appease this exact situation) people didn't like that they couldn't copy-paste their own styles.

Ideally though, displaying white text on black background to create dark mode would be accomplished through the theme styling rather than rich text. 

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Link said:

Ideally though, displaying white text on black background to create dark mode would be accomplished through the theme styling rather than rich text. 

I think you may not be understanding - the theme styling does accomplish this. But copy-pasting from the page versus the rich text editor is different. Copy-pasting from the text editor does not copy the black background and white text. 

I copied the following from on Dark Mode's text editor:

I think you may not be understanding

And I've copy-pasted the following from your post on Dark Mode:

Ideally though