fsped09

Administrator · Posted

Totally doable, and done. It's in the breadcrumb at the top of every page now. Let me know if you envisioned it elsewhere and I can move it, but I think it makes sense there.

And yeah I've set it to EST, same as NA previously (also, yes - that's Gloves time). 😉

image.png.f5cc72bd174e14287d2be03f66c28ab2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Totally doable, and done. It's in the breadcrumb at the top of every page now. Let me know if you envisioned it elsewhere and I can move it, but I think it makes sense there.

And yeah I've set it to EST, same as NA previously (also, yes - that's Gloves time). 😉

image.png.f5cc72bd174e14287d2be03f66c28ab2.png

Nice! My only complaint is that it doesn't seem to update live, correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that you have to refresh the page any time you want the clock to update. Not a big issue, but just a minor additional change that would be nice, since if I recall correctly that wasn't necessary with the clock on NA, it didn't need a refresh to update.

Also, unrelated, but I like what's been done with the special roles having color now, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I noticed it was changed from the whole post being outlined to just the role being colored in, which is much closer to what I had in mind when I initially made the request, so I very much like that change. 👍

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Nice! My only complaint is that it doesn't seem to update live, correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that you have to refresh the page any time you want the clock to update. Not a big issue, but just a minor additional change that would be nice, since if I recall correctly that wasn't necessary with the clock on NA, it didn't need a refresh to update.

Also, unrelated, but I like what's been done with the special roles having color now, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I noticed it was changed from the whole post being outlined to just the role being colored in, which is much closer to what I had in mind when I initially made the request, so I very much like that change. 👍

Thanks, yeah the way it was previously was just the built-in method. I've gone into the code now and customized it a bit to make it work in a more familiar way. On mobile you'll just see the icon to save space.

As for live updating the time, for now I'll not add that. It requires adding some Javascript to update it every minute, and I want to avoid Javascript that runs on intervals as they can gunk up the works and make pages slow.

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Thanks, yeah the way it was previously was just the built-in method. I've gone into the code now and customized it a bit to make it work in a more familiar way. On mobile you'll just see the icon to save space.

As for live updating the time, for now I'll not add that. It requires adding some Javascript to update it every minute, and I want to avoid Javascript that runs on intervals as they can gunk up the works and make pages slow.

Ah, fair enough. Perhaps something to add in the future then, as it would make keeping track of the exact time auctions end and such a bit easier.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Ah, fair enough. Perhaps something to add in the future then, as it would make keeping track of the exact time auctions end and such a bit easier.

To clarify: I'll never add it. It was the same way on NA - you had to refresh the page to update the clock (just checked), and rightly so. Unless your entire page is literally just a clock, it's entirely a bad idea to have a clock that updates live on the page.

Events Team · Posted
26 minutes ago, Gloves said:

To clarify: I'll never add it. It was the same way on NA - you had to refresh the page to update the clock (just checked), and rightly so. Unless your entire page is literally just a clock, it's entirely a bad idea to have a clock that updates live on the page.

Ah, OK. Perhaps it was changed in the redesign way back when, since I am one of the few people that still uses the vintage site, and the clock does in fact update live on that version. Fair enough though, makes perfect sense. Just somethin' I'll have to get used to 🙂

Moderator · Posted
6 hours ago, Gloves said:

if you envisioned it elsewhere and I can move it

Thanks for adding it. I was thinking full time under the search box on the right of the screen. 

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

It was the same way on NA - you had to refresh the page to update the clock (just checked)

Are you sure. I just checked and I can see the seconds going up. For what its worth, I think a live updating clock all the time makes sense than having to refresh the page. 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, fsped09 said:

Thanks for adding it. I was thinking full time under the search box on the right of the screen. 

Are you sure. I just checked and I can see the seconds going up. For what its worth, I think a live updating clock all the time makes sense than having to refresh the page. 

You must be on Vintage. Consider that there's probably a reason Dain removed the seconds counter when making the switch away from Vintage. It is not something I will be adding.

Moderator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

You must be on Vintage. Consider that there's probably a reason Dain removed the seconds counter when making the switch away from Vintage. It is not something I will be adding.

I'm not. You need to be logged in. Incognito mode as guest, the seconds don't move. Logged into NA. I see the seconds counting up. 

I also see the seconds counting on NA, logged in to the non-vintage site. On the front page. 

Is it possible to load it with the page, and have it continue counting from the load point, without JS? Pegged to local machine time? Maybe hard to keep accuracy....